What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

shewi6

Juniors
Gee that is solid. I’m hoping against hope they announce Perth as the 18th club this weekend
Would be great but I'm not holding my breath lol
IMO it would only be announced this early if they were to enter in 2026, but with how proactive the new WA premier is being towards the NRL, this does seem like the closest perth has been to being the next team in the last couple years.

BuffaloRules

Coach
That means 2 more years of an odd-sized competition (2024-5) then 2 years again of an odd-sized competition in 2028-9.

I'd be inclined to think they may take a little longer for team 18, then a gap until 19 and 20 join together - odd sized competitions are a pain in the neck for scheduling.

Having two expansion teams coMing in at the same time artificially inflates the player salary market … also makes it harder for both teams to be competitive from the beginning as they are both competing for start up players at the same time …

Dolphins this year seemed a little fortunate they secured a coach like Bennett as they struggled for big names and were tipped by most to run last …

If Perth comes back… would be nice if they weren’t getting belted every week in their first year..

BuffaloRules

Coach

Rolling out an elite juniors pathway to mimic the nrl ones

png kids on par physically with Aussies

I’m shocked

Intersting point that Olam has the most sponsorship income of any NRL player

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having two expansion teams coMing in at the same time artificially inflates the player salary market … also makes it harder for both teams to be competitive from the beginning as they are both competing for start up players at the same time …

Dolphins this year seemed a little fortunate they secured a coach like Bennett as they struggled for big names and were tipped by most to run last …

If Perth comes back… would be nice if they weren’t getting belted every week in their first year..
They could help mitigate that risk using a range of ways, but they wont. Dolphins look like ending up exactly where I predicted 12th/13th. Same place most new teams coming into the comp have over the years.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
This is league, not flogball. You get no concessions. You build your club and if that means you spend a few years in the cellar so be it, if you're a real club and a real fan you stick strong and get through the tough times.

If Perth get in that's how it will be and if the afl fans who pose as league fans don't like it, see ya later.

Wb1234

Referee
Intersting point that Olam has the most sponsorship income of any NRL player
Yeh this too

“Any shortfall will be picked up by the many cashed-up corporate behemoths in PNG – such as ExxonMobil, Santos and Newcrest – which would clamour to be associated with the “greatest game of all”.

“There’s a growing interest with a lot of the corporate entities for its own team,” says Wapu Sonk, chairman of the PNG NRL bid board”

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth will once again make a strong statement for NRL inclusion with over 40k expected at Saturdays double header. Only seats on sale are in top tier suggesting a big crowd is expected. Last double header drew just under 39k. To break that record will be a great boost for Perth's NRL expansion hopes.

There'll be a number "Bring back the Reds' Banners in the crowd as well as this guy no doubt!
perth riot.jpgbanner.jpg

Wb1234

Referee
Perth will once again make a strong statement for NRL inclusion with over 40k expected at Saturdays double header. Only seats on sale are in top tier suggesting a big crowd is expected. Last double header drew just under 39k. To break that record will be a great boost for Perth's NRL expansion hopes.

There'll be a number "Bring back the Reds' Banners in the crowd as well as this guy no doubt!
View attachment 77516View attachment 77517
Yep all true blue Perth rl fans will be in attendance to bolster their claim for an nrl team

BuffaloRules

Coach
They could help mitigate that risk using a range of ways, but they wont. Dolphins look like ending up exactly where I predicted 12th

I’m not advocating special treatment for them…I’ll leave that for the AFLs contrived competition to keep Sydney teams relevant …

Yeh this too

“Any shortfall will be picked up by the many cashed-up corporate behemoths in PNG – such as ExxonMobil, Santos and Newcrest – which would clamour to be associated with the “greatest game of all”.

“There’s a growing interest with a lot of the corporate entities for its own team,” says Wapu Sonk, chairman of the PNG NRL bid board”

I would feel more comfortable if there is some guarantees to support the potential PNG team in case of financial difficulties …Didnt Tinkler have to do this when he bought the Knights?

Get these Mining behemoths to throw in $50M between them for a break glass in case of emergency fund in case Aust future Govts don’t want to prop them up .. would be the least they can do as they continue to plunder their mineral wealth

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m not advocating special treatment for them…I’ll leave that for the AFLs contrived competition to keep Sydney teams relevant …

I would feel more comfortable if there is some guarantee to support the potential PNG team in case of financial difficulties …Didnt Tinkler have to do this when he bought the Knights?

Get these Mining behemoths to throw in $50M between them for a break glass in case of emergency fund in case Aust Govts don’t want to prop them up .. would be the least they can do as they continue to plunder their mineral wealth
So you are happy to take the risk of a new club sitting at the bottom then?

Perth Red

Post Whore
"We have to go to 20 teams and we have to go to Western Australia. We need more content and to make it a truly national sport, not just one played on the East coast."

Uncle Nick knows!

BuffaloRules

Coach
So you are happy to take the risk of a new club sitting at the bottom then?

As you said… most other expansion teams have been competitive recently in their inaugural season..,,, I think they should avoid it provided they join the competition on their own

Perth Red

Post Whore
As you said… most other expansion teams have been competitive recently in their inaugural season..,,, I think they should avoid it provided they join the competition on their own
I thin there are still proactive things that could be done better without compromising integrity of the comp.

Though I am in favour of cap concessions for new teams to sign players from outside the current NRL pool. Reduces the dilution and brings new talent into the game at lower risk for the new club.