What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Messages
64,597
Its incredible that 90% of posts from that dude have been about "game day revenue" and "revenue from football operations", but when it comes to PNG he ignores that they will make ZERO dollars in this space.
I wouldnt hold his opinion in any kind of stead, He thinks the Christchurch bid is developing well lol
 
Messages
11,685
PNG don't need to generate game day revenue when they're getting $20m per annum from the Aus Gov. The other clubs won't have this luxury. Perth won't have the luxury of falling back on pokies.
 

Perth Red

Post Whore
Messages
64,597
PNG don't need to generate game day revenue when they're getting $20m per annum from the Aus Gov. The other clubs won't have this luxury. Perth won't have the luxury of falling back on pokies.
No ones worried about the now, but when the govt money runs out? Where's the viability then?
So far we've had Wb say it will never run out, lol,
and others saying 'well the club can just be closed down and the license given to someone else'.
Neither sounds a good plan to base a new club on to me.

Thast why perth needs to show the business case. Though I suspect with the $17mill grant now it would take some serious mismanagement for a club with a reasonable fan and corporate base to not be viable.
 

Perth Red

Post Whore
Messages
64,597
Now the Cowboys are one of the biggest and richest rugby league clubs in the world. News Ltd saw their potential and invested in them. They looked at Perth and saw no potential.
bit of a history rewrite there lol,
1. They owned Reds so easy to close them down and 2 they saw more value in melbourne. rightly or wrongly.
Cowboys had pokies and independent ownership so News Ltd couldnt just close them down.

Only the 3 News ltd clubs, and the two biggest competitors in SEQ, got shut down in 97/98. I suspect more to do with News ltd slashing their costs than long term benefit to the game of RL wouldnt you?

Shame a 18-20 club comp in 1999 with Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Crushers and Gc in it would have saved the game 30 plus years of trying to rebuild a national comp.
 
Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Messages
20,198
No ones worried about the now, but when the govt money runs out? Where's the viability then?
So far we've had Wb say it will never run out, lol,
and others saying 'well the club can just be closed down and the license given to someone else'.
Neither sounds a good plan to base a new club on to me.

Thast why perth needs to show the business case. Though I suspect with the $17mill grant now it would take some serious mismanagement for a club with a reasonable fan and corporate base to not be viable.
So the 17 million grant stands Perth in good stead but not png
 

Wb1234

Referee
Messages
20,198
bit of a history rewrite there lol,
1. They owned Reds so easy to close them down and 2 they saw more value in melbourne. rightly or wrongly.

Only the 3 News ltd clubs got shut down. I suspect more to do with News ltd slashing their costs than long term benefit to the game of RL wouldnt you?
So they saw no value in Perth

the same people who pay 80 percent of our tv deal and we already know the other 20 percent isn’t interested either
 

Perth Red

Post Whore
Messages
64,597
So the 17 million grant stands Perth in good stead but not png
the $17mill grant is approx 40-50% of revenue needed to run a NRL club.
Can a PNG club get 15k fans attending and 20k + members paying full NRL prices?
Can it generate $7-10mill in corporate support?
Thats what they need to be viable.
There seems to be an overwhelming number of people who dont think so.
 

Wb1234

Referee
Messages
20,198
the $17mill grant is approx 40-50% of revenue needed to run a NRL club.
Can a PNG club get 15k fans attending and 20k + members paying full NRL prices?
Can it generate $7-10mill in corporate support?
Thats what they need to be viable.
There seems to be an overwhelming number of people who dont think so.
There were an overwhelming number of people on here who said another beisbane team was a bad idea and it shouldn’t be the dolphins

the same people who think Vegas is a waste of time and the sky nz tv deal is going down

forum experts
 
Messages
11,685
bit of a history rewrite there lol,
1. They owned Reds so easy to close them down and 2 they saw more value in melbourne. rightly or wrongly.
Cowboys had pokies and independent ownership so News Ltd couldnt just close them down.

Only the 3 News ltd clubs, and the two biggest competitors in SEQ, got shut down in 97/98. I suspect more to do with News ltd slashing their costs than long term benefit to the game of RL wouldnt you?

Shame a 18-20 club comp in 1999 with Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Crushers and Gc in it would have saved the game 30 plus years of trying to rebuild a national comp.

So they cut the the Reds to save money, then brought in a Melbourne team that cost them $100m over 20 years?

That doesn't make any f**ken sense and is as stupid as mongoose's conspiracy theories.

Reds were drawing less than 9k to throe games. Cowboys were drawing 18-20k per year. It was a no brainer to keep the Cowboys and punt the destitute Reds. Argue around the fact all you like, but the Reds didn't have a viable fanbase and business case to justify a spot in the NRL.
 
Messages
11,685
So they saw no value in Perth

the same people who pay 80 percent of our tv deal and we already know the other 20 percent isn’t interested either

It's hard to make sense of Perth Red's logic. He argues News Ltd kicked the Reds out to save money so they could spend $100m on the Storm over 20 years.

Apparently News Ltd are super keen on a Perth team because of the Sunday night "time slot", which can be filled by any of the other 16 Australian clubs. Or something to that effect.

I'm yet to see him explain why a Perth-based NRL team will double or quadruple participation in Perth?

Contact sports are struggling to recruit players due to concerns over concussion and brain trauma.
 

Wb1234

Referee
Messages
20,198
It's hard to make sense of Perth Red's logic. He argues News Ltd kicked the Reds out to save money so they could spend $100m on the Storm over 20 years.

Apparently News Ltd are super keen on a Perth team because of the Sunday night "time slot", which can be filled by any of the other 16 Australian clubs. Or something to that effect.

I'm yet to see him explain why a Perth-based NRL team will double or quadruple participation in Perth?

Contact sports are struggling to recruit players due to concerns over concussion and brain trauma.
It’s funny when you ask the tough questions they never have any answers

they ignore or change the topic
 

Canard

Immortal
Messages
33,529
PNG don't need to generate game day revenue when they're getting $20m per annum from the Aus Gov. The other clubs won't have this luxury. Perth won't have the luxury of falling back on pokies.
What about the fact that they still generate ZERO TV revenue?

And isn't government handouts akin to socialism, you know that thing you hate so much you bring it up at the sound of a loud fart?
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top