What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Maximus

Coach
I've never pretended to be an "expansionist". There was a time when I bought into the expansion bullshit that's peddled by Perth Red, mongoose, Colk and The Great Dane, but I now see through their agenda.

I am not ashamed to say my priority is maximising the game's potential in Brisbane. I'm a rugby league fan from Brisbane. I have an emotional interest in Brisbane RL.

Perth Red pretends to be an expansionist, yet all he ever does is argue for a Perth-based team. He turns on Adelaide and NZ2 the moment they're considered ahead of Perth.

So he's not a rugby league fan because of self interest, but you are one despite the same self interest?

Maximus

Coach
Expansion isn’t about putting a dot on map with no roots

expansion is about growing tv ratings, value to broadcasters, expanding the player pool

otherwise it’s not expansion.

So given Melbourne gets 4 times the ratings when Melbourne is playing, that'd indicate that they grow the TV ratings yeah?

Given you yourself said Perth's ratings have grown since origin started being played there, that'd indicate having a team there would grow the TV ratings yeah?

Perth Red

Post Whore
He’s not the only selfish one tbf

america being the obvious exclusion

and png

and nz
Im all for NZ and PNG, if they are viable long term bids.
I'm all for USA if it was a significant long term strategic investment to grow the game there, not a quick gambling cash grab which is all vegas is
I'm all for Adelaide if Bears or someone wants to take it on
I'm all for Perth if it has a strong business case that shows how it will be long term viable,

What Im not for is any more NSW and Qlnd teams until the game has grown into new markets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Reds had a fairly strong team winning 50% of their games in 1995, yet their attendances were the lowest of the four expansion clubs. Their fanbase dwindled to less than 9k after 1995.

If the Storm have an extended stay at the bottom of the ladder then their supporter base will dwindle. They're only averaging 16k at MRS with a side that's made the top eight every year except 2001 and 2002.
different time, different city, different competition. Relevance to what 2027 will be is zero.

Despite the death drums banging and disillusionment with SL our last ever game drew a respectable 12k crowd in 1997.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Expansion isn’t about putting a dot on map with no roots

expansion is about growing tv ratings, value to broadcasters, expanding the player pool

otherwise it’s not expansion.
hahah PNG offers absolutely nothing to broadcasters, no proof it will expand the player pool either.

I'm not convinced another Brisbane team will offer much to broadcasters, will just tap into the same audience that already rusted on League fans. Might expand the player pool but will Easts or whoever start investing more money into grassroots than they already do?

Wb1234

Referee
hahah PNG offers absolutely nothing to broadcasters, no proof it will expand the player pool either.

I'm not convinced another Brisbane team will offer much to broadcasters, will just tap into the same audience that already rusted on League fans. Might expand the player pool but will Easts or whoever start investing more money into grassroots than they already do?
This is an epic troll

Wb1234

Referee
Im all for NZ and PNG, if they are viable long term bids.
I'm all for USA if it was a significant long term strategic investment to grow the game there, not a quick gambling cash grab which is all vegas is
I'm all for Adelaide if Bears or someone wants to take it on
I'm all for Perth if it has a strong business case that shows how it will be long term viable,

What Im not for is any more NSW and Qlnd teams until the game has grown into new markets.
Go into the Las Vegas thread

or
Nz2 png or brisbane 3 threads and see how you post

Centy Coast

Juniors
“It’s the obvious choice”: Western Australia throw hat in ring for third AFL team
Could there be room for a third team in the west?
SCOTT PRYDE
A push is beginning inside Western Australia for the state to have a third AFL team.​
Western Australia is currently represented by the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers in the 18-team league, with the Eagles first playing in 1987, and the Dockers in 1995.​
Since then, all of the Brisbane Lions, Port Adelaide Power (both 1997), Gold Coast Suns (2011) and Greater Western Sydney Giants (2012) have joined the competition.​
The AFL are currently looking at adding a Tasmanian team as the 19th team in the league, although there are still plenty of stumbling blocks in the way of that move being made official, and a timeline for such a move is unclear.​
It's likely if the AFL goes to 19 teams that the league will quickly look to take the competition to a 20-team league given an added game per week will add to revenue opportunities both on the ticketing front and in terms of a TV deal, which was recently re-negotiated with Channel 7 and Fox Sports.​
Both the Eagles and Dockers average excellent crowds in their home games at Optus Stadium, with derbies in particular often going close to selling out, but City of Joondalup mayor Albert Jacob and Bunbury mayor Jaysen Miguel have told The West Australian that their respective regions would be perfect spots for a third team in Perth.​
"The City of Joondalup by itself is 160,000, but we are not just talking the City of Joondalup – we are the CBD and Arena Joondalup is the centre of sport – but the City of Wanneroo is already 210,000,” he told the publication.​
“So straight off the bat you are talking 370,000 people. Plus the northern half of Stirling.​
"And if you go out to Swan and Ellenbrook and those other areas, pretty quickly you start to get up to half a million people sitting in this catchment.​
“It works as a northern identity, not just a Joondalup identity, and in this region, more than 40 per cent of the people were born overseas. The Federal Government has said we need a migration push and the State Government is saying the same thing and this is where a lot of them are going to move.​
“They don't have those traditional allegiances, particularly to the Eagles but also to the Dockers. This is the catchment, it's the obvious choice.”​
In backing the south west and Bunbury region, Miguel said a $13.6 million upgrade of Bunbury's footy centre at Hands Oval would help.​
"There are 85,000 people down here. The Bunbury and South West region have a history of producing some pretty good AFL players,” he said.​
“There has been a lot of work done previously about grass roots footy and cricket. The AFL keeps talking about grass roots, so why don't they actually looking at setting up some of their bases in grass roots areas?​
“We have all of that. We are a city, but we still have a country feel and that's what makes us what we are. And why we have been so successful and why we have been able to produce so many talented athletes in all codes.”​
The AFL have made no comment on any possible expansion bid outside of Tasmania at this stage.​
The Tasmania team, who are widely expected to be the 19th team, are waiting for funding approvals to build a stadium, with the AFL set to contribute to the effort.​
The only Australian top-level sports which play inside Tasmania are cricket through the BBL, Sheffield Shield and One-Day Cup, and the NBL through the recently created Tasmania JackJumpers franchise.​

It's looking like you'll have a third AwFuL club to support within a few years!

You must be excited!
Why would WA want a third AFL club ?, the two they have atm are rubbish finishing 14th and 18th this season lol.
If AFL is their main sport they are in trouble.

Canard

Immortal
I've never pretended to be an "expansionist". There was a time when I bought into the expansion bullshit that's peddled by Perth Red, mongoose, Colk and The Great Dane, but I now see through their agenda.

I am not ashamed to say my priority is maximising the game's potential in Brisbane. I'm a rugby league fan from Brisbane. I have an emotional interest in Brisbane RL.

Perth Red pretends to be an expansionist, yet all he ever does is argue for a Perth-based team. He turns on Adelaide and NZ2 the moment they're considered ahead of Perth.
So you finally admit your not a true Cowboys fan.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Go into the Las Vegas thread

or
Nz2 png or brisbane 3 threads and see how you post
read what I put! I'm not against the ideas, just the current execution

at the moment we have

USA - zero strategy for actually growing the game beyond one off marquee events aimed at getting gambling companies interested. Other bigger sports with a lot more commitment have tried and faltered to make any significant footprint in the american pro sports market, I see nothing in NRL to suggest they could do it better.

PNG is a bid that is solely reliant on Govt funding with no public plan of how it would be viable without that funding, and based in a totally separate country as it is going to largely reliant on Aus and NZ players. Thats not my idea of a PNG NRL club.

NZ2 no bid or backers. I hope we see someone legit come out of the woodwork to back a bid and that the business case stacks up in Christchurch or Wellington. But theres nothing much at the moment so to talk of a club is very premature.

So no, Im not against any of it, I'm all for it, but done properly, sustainably and viably.

Wb1234

Referee
read what I put! I'm not against the ideas, just the current execution

at the moment we have

USA - zero strategy for actually growing the game beyond one off marquee events aimed at getting gambling companies interested. Other bigger sports with a lot more commitment have tried and faltered to make any significant footprint in the american pro sports market, I see nothing in NRL to suggest they could do it better.

PNG is a bid that is solely reliant on Govt funding with no public plan of how it would be viable without that funding, and based in a totally separate country as it is going to largely reliant on Aus and NZ players. Thats not my idea of a PNG NRL club.

NZ2 no bid or backers. I hope we see someone legit come out of the woodwork to back a bid and that the business case stacks up in Christchurch or Wellington. But theres nothing much at the moment so to talk of a club is very premature.

So no, Im not against any of it, I'm all for it, but done properly, sustainably and viably.
And yet when you talk about Perth none of this negativity is present

Perth bid had more holes than Swiss cheese

Perth Red

Post Whore
And yet when you talk about Perth none of this negativity is present

Perth bid had more holes than Swiss cheese
I've said many times, again try reading instead of frothing, that if the Perth business case doesnt stack up they should not be admitted. I dont want to see another short term club here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So why are you backing the bid without knowing

it could be a basket case

and no juniors and travel are huge issues
Because so far what we do know sounds good. Millionaire backers, WA govt support, strong foundational fanbase, 3500 Jnrs. What we do know looks solid. What we dont know is what is being put on the table financially, if its enough for NRL comfort great get us in, if it isnt then we wont get in. Simple as that.

And I'm an expansionist, I want to see the game grow in new markets, and Perth presents the best new market opportunity for the game in Australia.