What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Colk

First Grade
I bring up Hull because it exposes Perth Red's hypocrisy. He once said Brisbane should only have 2 teams because it is a "mid-size city". Brisbane has about 1.8m people. Hull only has 260k people, yet he thinks it needs two teams. He ridicules cities in Sydney with a larger population than Hull for having one team.

How can I take him seriously?

The idiot claimed Perth should have a team because its population is almost as big as Brisbane. Comparing a dyed in the wool fumbleball city to the world's second largest rugby league city is just dumb.

He's inconsistent and shifts the goalposts to suit his selfish agenda.

Using Perth Red's logic, Brisbane should have 20 teams because it is 10 times bigger than Hull.

Here is the thing that makes me lose all respect for Perth Red. After years of saying Sydney clubs need to generate more revenue from football operations to be more like the Broncos, he's completely dismissed this metric because it supports Brisbane Tigers getting the 18th licence. The club has the resources needed to compete with Broncos and are projected to be one of the four richest rugby league clubs in the world. But apparently we're supposed to ignore this strength and dismiss the Tigers because Perth doesn't have a team.

Have a cup of tea and sit down

Colk

First Grade
It’s the most watched sport on the planet. Underestimate it at your peril.

Yeah but it’s the A-League, on the balance of probability it is always going to be small or niche. Just like the NBL or an Australian baseball league or an Australian gridiron or an ice hockey league etc. Bigger and better overseas competitions are always going to draw support away from the domestic competition.

It is what it is.

Yeah they probably cant do both until one is really self sustainable with how they implement their feeder or junior arrangements, but the reds weren't bad with their junior set up, they were just broke at a time where there wasn't a professional set up like the NRL currently have now, where they'd be looked after, or travel costs weren't a factor towards the club owning it...
Melbourne 2 as heart/city is laughable, our product shits all over soccer, and union, bring up them aswell as force or glory in any of your current or past arguments is folly, league is king, its flawed but its still the best sporting product in Australia, it might not be the best run program on gameday compared to AFL, but its certainly a better viewing sport event especially on TV, which is yhe only thing that matters considering its the broadcasters who foot the bill, the rest is menial
You and I think rugby league is king, but the average Victorian doesn't think like us.

I'm not a fan of soccer and think the A-League is in dire straights, but it still has strong support in Melbourne.

The Melbourne Victory were pulling stronger attendances than the Storm until COVID-19. Combined, Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City have more supporters than the Melbourne Storm. Without the Melbourne Victory we wouldn't have MRS.

I also get the feeling the Storm's strength lies in the fact they're the sole rugby league club in Melbourne. Fumbleball fans with an open mind, such as Molly Meldrum, get behind the Storm with fans from other AwFuL clubs that they hate. Melbourne 2 will undo all of that. It's not like Brisbane where there has always been a division among the local rugby league community.

The failure of GWS is another reason I'm against Melbourne 2.

Another concern of mine about Perth is the impact they'll have on Storm. If they get the 18th licence then they'll be entering the NRL around the time Bellamy is retiring. The last thing the Storm can afford is to lose Bellamy at the same time they're facing increased competition for precious talent. I don't think Melbourne will be as strong in 2030 as they were in 2020.

Stop getting emotional. It’s a fact of life; people move interstate, overseas, from the country to the city etc for career and lifestyle reasons. This is no different.

If a Queenslander doesn’t want to play for a club in NSW or Melbourne and they don’t get a contract for a Queensland team then tough s*** they don’t have a career.

If the Queensland talent base becomes thin and weak then the game's popularity in Queensland will nosedive. A less active fanbase in Queensland will lead to poorer ratings and less revenue from the broadcasters.

The game as a whole will suffer.

The game can survive just fine without unwanted teams in Melbourne and Perth, but it will suffer terrible losses without Queensland.

You haven't thought this through.

Last edited:
Yeah but it’s the A-League, on the balance of probability it is always going to be small or niche. Just like the NBL or an Australian baseball league or an Australian gridiron or an ice hockey league etc. Bigger and better overseas competitions are always going to draw support away from the domestic competition.

It is what it is.
You're very selective with this argument, aren't you?

The BBL is one of the weaker T20 domestic competitions around the world. It's also competing with Test cricket for talent. Ratings and crowds for the BBL have nosedived because it's fielding club cricketers while Australia's best players are playing Tests. Ch7 took Cricket Australia to court over this problem.

Colk

First Grade
You're very selective with this argument, aren't you?

The BBL is one of the weaker T20 domestic competitions around the world. It's also competing with Test cricket for talent. Ratings and crowds for the BBL have nosedived because it's fielding club cricketers while Australia's best players are playing Tests. Ch7 took Cricket Australia to court over this problem.

Am I? You’re very emotional in yours. Use figures and logic instead. BTW I don’t care - I like both sports - I just find it amusing that you can’t simply concede something as obvious as this.

Here are the figures. Keep arguing that NBL is going to take over cricket and I’ll await epic emotion filled rant in response

This in particular is a real corker with reference to the BBL ratings-

“the highest of any Australian sports league on a per-game basis.”

Here are the NBL figures even after a massive growth - 137,000 peak audience.

Bukowski

Juniors
Am I? You’re very emotional in yours. Use figures and logic instead. BTW I don’t care - I like both sports - I just find it amusing that you can’t simply concede something as obvious as this.

Here are the figures. Keep arguing that NBL is going to take over cricket and I’ll await epic emotion filled rant in response

He really has no idea. He thought the scorchers played in front of small crowds at the WACA last year. Averaged about 38k at Optus in reality.

Colk

First Grade
He really has no idea. He thought the scorchers played in front of small crowds at the WACA last year. Averaged about 38k at Optus in reality.

Sometimes it is better to use figures and stats than rely on anecdotals. It is a bit more reliable

My point went over your head.

I was responding to this part of your previous comment:

Bigger and better overseas competitions are always going to draw support away from the domestic competition.

It is what it is.

Using your logic, IPL will always be bigger than BBL.

BBL had to shorten its season because attendances and ratings nosedived when they expanded it. Things went to shit when they expanded outside of the school holiday period.

Last edited:
I agree with you in that case. I wouldn’t be bringing in the A-League into a debate about the NRL.
Despite the A-League's decline since the COVID-19 period, there's more active support for the Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City than there is for the Melbourne Storm.

6B5D1FB7-3B27-4781-87A4-FDCE99B5C8D2.png

Before COVID-19 the Victory were drawing better attendances than the Storm.

Wb1234

Referee
Despite the A-League's decline since the COVID-19 period, there's more active support for the Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City than there is for the Melbourne Storm.

View attachment 84507

Before COVID-19 the Victory were drawing better attendances than the Storm.

Good crowd in Ipswich today

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the Queensland talent base becomes thin and weak then the game's popularity in Queensland will nosedive. A less active fanbase in Queensland will lead to poorer ratings and less revenue from the broadcasters.

The game as a whole will suffer.

The game can survive just fine without unwanted teams in Melbourne and Perth, but it will suffer terrible losses without Queensland.

You haven't thought this through.
Nswrl is providing players for 10 clubs, qrl can manage 5. Plenty of talented Queenslanders waiting for chance to move to beautiful perth.