What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What you got is "the bears" brother, you got nothing actually other than a city to showcase a sport we love, thats why we come there for origin, if you land the next licence, i will love that, coz yeah its a must, but don't think for a second you worked for it, if they wanted the bears in Adelaide it would be the exact same thing
We want a club, Bears what in, Vlandys wants the sydney media love. Sometimes them's the breaks.

But no its been my persistent posting on here for the last 15 years thata finally getting us a club lol

MugaB

Coach
Not sure it needs conferences but there should be a draw that maximises attendance and every sydney club playing each other x2, every qlnd team playing each other x2 makes commercial sense.

Mind you it would be interesting to look at the data. Does Cronull a v Manly really draw many more than Cronulla v Melbourne?
Exactly bottom line having an "ALL Sydney" conference is totally a misguided concept, all it does is give the old 60 yr olds a reminder of the good ol days from the NSWRL in the 80s, before all those pesky expansion teams came in and ruined it all

taste2taste

Juniors
Seriously though, Sydney and Non-Sydney being two conferences is dumber then the Singapore NRL idea.
I guess the thinking is every weekend would be a derby with big crowds.

Currently the games where the away team brings no fans ( eels v storm ) are either taken to the bush or 'promoted' to magic round.

Not playing the QLD teams until semis would lead to huge interest and crowds.

SOO would be even bigger if it's the only time during the regular season the NSW players played the QLD players

MugaB

Coach
We want a club, Bears what in, Vlandys wants the sydney media love. Sometimes them's the breaks.

But no its been my persistent posting on here for the last 15 years thata finally getting us a club lol
Positivity plus over here, bottle this stuff fellas, PR being a happy camper for all of 30mins... this stuff is gold.... and you praising PVL too? You must be delirious PR
I did tell you that the bears are one of the 3 right?
and i still dont think its next, but hey I take it..
Just make sure you got that licence framed and concreted into the soil over in perf, k?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly bottom line having an "ALL Sydney" conference is totally a misguided concept, all it does is give the old 60 yr olds a reminder of the good oldance
Should base it on attendance data. Have around 6 home and away sydney v sydney club games a year locked in every year that clubs can pick between them and build up as big events. For most games I dont see a big travelling cohort even when its sydney v sydney, maybe 1 or 2 thousand max?

MugaB

Coach
Should base it on attendance data. Have around 6 home and away sydney v sydney club games a year locked in every year that clubs can pick between them and build up as big events. For most games I dont see a big travelling cohort even when its sydney v sydney, maybe 1 or 2 thousand max?
It wont be... every club needs to play someone, cant all be stuck with 2 titans and 2 shark and 2 canberras, like fmd

Perth Red

Post Whore
It wont be... every club needs to play someone, cant all be stuck with 2 titans and 2 shark and 2 canberras, like fmd
pretty easy to schedule 12 games as being the clubs pick for rivalry and commercial aspects then 12 games against whoever. Problem is the merkin tv people would pick what should be the big crowd game sand stick them on a Thursday night!

You could almost tier them accordingly by club.

MugaB

Coach
pretty easy to schedule 12 games as being the clubs pick for rivalry and commercial aspects then 12 games against whoever. Problem is the merkin tv people would pick what should be the big crowd game sand stick them on a Thursday night!

You could almost tier them accordingly by club.
Localised derbys are the way to go, just make sure the conferences are built with nearby teams involved, none of this syd vs the rest garbage

Wb1234

Referee
Here's some good news for you, everyone knows Politis is the puppet master behind PVL, put it in your diary Perth will be the 18th team.

9 team Sydney conference = nswrl. Grand final accor
9 team “the rest” conference = super league
Grand final Suncorp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Localised derbys are the way to go, just make sure the conferences are built with nearby teams involved, none of this syd vs the rest garbage
With only two states with more than one team theres obviously going to be bias to generate local derbies. Again the data needs to be looked at. Is Sths v Cronulla for example more popular to attend than Souths v eels? Qlnd teams will all have to be in one conference.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is why polites is so pro expansion

they want a conference system

20 is a good number or pushing it 24

top five finals system for each

Super Bowl that moves around
Politis is a businessman, he has seen the commercial reality of what games earn the most. Heres a break down of roosters home attendances last year of Sydney teams compared to non sydney teams. Manly aside the other 5 games were by far the most lucrative with non of the visiting teams crowds being close to the all sydney games.

Roosters 2023 home crowds
v Sydney clubs
Rd3 36,639 (Souths)
Rd 5 20,886 (eels)
Rd 8 40,191 (Dragons)
Rd 14 18,388 (Bulldogs)
Rd 23 12,197 (Manly)
Rd 26 22,511 (Wests)

v non sydney clubs
Rd2 16,276 (Warriors)
Rd 17 13,326 (Raiders)
Rd 20 (SCG) 12,021 (Storm)
Rd 24 13,074 (Dolphins)

Only loser is Canberra, all the other conf clubs already travel anyway so not much difference other than a bit longer flight for some games.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Politis is a businessman, he has seen the commercial reality of what games earn the most. Heres a break down of roosters home attendances last year of Sydney teams compared to non sydney teams. Manly aside the other 5 games were by far the most lucrative with non of the visiting teams crowds being close to the all sydney games.

Roosters 2023 home crowds
v Sydney clubs
Rd3 36,639 (Souths)
Rd 5 20,886 (eels)
Rd 8 40,191 (Dragons)
Rd 14 18,388 (Bulldogs)
Rd 23 12,197 (Manly)
Rd 26 22,511 (Wests)

v non sydney clubs
Rd2 16,276 (Warriors)
Rd 17 13,326 (Raiders)
Rd 20 (SCG) 12,021 (Storm)
Rd 24 13,074 (Dolphins)
Same benefit for qld teams in their conference

plus top five is the fairest system for finals

Politis is just looking out for his club. What he's suggesting will alienate half of the clubs.

The Bears' "non-negotiables" rules out any possibility of them relocating to Perth, Melbourne or New Zealand.

It's why V'landys is pushing ahead with PNG as his preferred option.

Vlad59

Bench
I guess the thinking is every weekend would be a derby with big crowds.

Currently the games where the away team brings no fans ( eels v storm ) are either taken to the bush or 'promoted' to magic round.

Not playing the QLD teams until semis would lead to huge interest and crowds.

SOO would be even bigger if it's the only time during the regular season the NSW players played the QLD players
If you are a Canberra or Newcastle fan the proposal stinks

Perth Red

Post Whore
Politis is just looking out for his club. What he's suggesting will alienate half of the clubs.

The Bears' "non-negotiables" rules out any possibility of them relocating to Perth, Melbourne or New Zealand.

It's why V'landys is pushing ahead with PNG as his preferred option.
In what way? Im not sugetsing its a good idea but interested why people think it isnt. Only down side I can think of are lack of FTa covg as Sydney media will juts want to show sydney games, and makes signing players a bit inequitable as sydney clubs will do much less travel than other clubs.

Potentially you could have two conferences, one NSW with clubs playing 5 clubs in their comp home and away, the other 4 home or away alternating each year, then every club in the other conference home or away alternating each year. Measn you will play every club at home and every club within every two years.

So say Im souths in NSW conf

I play in my conference
Roosters H&A
Bulldogs H&A
Eels H&A
Wests H&A
Penrith H&A
Knights A
Manly H
Cronulla A
St George H

And the other conference
Melbourne A
Perth H
Brisbane A
Warriors H
Christchurch A
Dolphins H
NQ A
Canberra H
PNG A
Gold Coast H

blue bags

First Grade
Western Force. Perth
Southern Brumbies. Melbourne
Playing games in Melbourne. Adelaide. Perth
Hobart. Canberra
😁

Perth Red

Post Whore
A perth team might have in its conf games:

Brisbane H&A
Melbourne H&A
Christchurch H&A
Warriors H&A
Dolphins H&A
Canberra H
PNG A
NQ H
Gold Coast A

then
Souths A
Roosters H
Knights A
Sharks H
Manly A
Panthers H
St's A
Eels H
Wests A
Bulldogs H

The H&A fixtures same every season, the others alternate home and away each year.