What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

In what way? Im not sugetsing its a good idea but interested why people think it isnt. Only down side I can think of are lack of FTa covg as Sydney media will juts want to show sydney games, and makes signing players a bit inequitable as sydney clubs will do much less travel than other clubs.

Potentially you could have two conferences, one NSW with clubs playing 5 clubs in their comp home and away, the other 4 home or away alternating each year, then every club in the other conference home or away alternating each year. Measn you will play every club at home and every club within every two years.

So say Im souths in NSW conf

I play in my conference
Roosters H&A
Bulldogs H&A
Eels H&A
Wests H&A
Penrith H&A
Knights A
Manly H
Cronulla A
St George H

And the other conference
Melbourne A
Perth H
Brisbane A
Warriors H
Christchurch A
Dolphins H
NQ A
Canberra H
PNG A
Gold Coast H
Politis spoke about he clubs being happy with the money they're getting from the ARLC.

Most of the ARLC's revenue is provided by the broaddcasters.

Politis is suggesting we move to a system that will devalue the worth of the broadcast rights.

Running Sydney vs Sydney games will produce terrible ratings in Queensland. Running non-Sydney vs non-Sydney games will produce terrible ratings in NSW.

Does he think the broadcasters will continue to pay what they're paying?

The odds of a non-Sydney club winning the premiership will drop substantially due to the extra travel they'll have to perform. The only way to balance it out would be to play all inter-conference games outside of Sydney. None of the Sydney clubs will accept that proposal.

A perth team might have in its conf games:

Brisbane H&A
Melbourne H&A
Christchurch H&A
Warriors H&A
Dolphins H&A
Canberra H
PNG A
NQ H
Gold Coast A

then
Souths A
Roosters H
Knights A
Sharks H
Manly A
Panthers H
St's A
Eels H
Wests A
Bulldogs H

The H&A fixtures same every season, the others alternate home and away each year.
Everything about expansion revolves around Perth, doesn't it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Politis spoke about he clubs being happy with the money they're getting from the ARLC.

Most of the ARLC's revenue is provided by the broaddcasters.

Politis is suggesting we move to a system that will devalue the worth of the broadcast rights.

Running Sydney vs Sydney games will produce terrible ratings in Queensland. Running non-Sydney vs non-Sydney games will produce terrible ratings in NSW.

Does he think the broadcasters will continue to pay what they're paying?

The odds of a non-Sydney club winning the premiership will drop substantially due to the extra travel they'll have to perform. The only way to balance it out would be to play all inter-conference games outside of Sydney. None of the Sydney clubs will accept that proposal.
Not really getting the arguments. How would non sydney clubs have to travel more? They all have to play 12 away games regardless of conf or not.

How would tv be devalued, every weekend there will be sydney v sydney and sydney v non sydney games happening same as now?

Not really getting the arguments. How would non sydney clubs have to travel more? They all have to play 12 away games regardless of conf or not.

How would tv be devalued, every weekend there will be sydney v sydney and sydney v non sydney games happening same as now?
Sydney clubs will be travelling less, giving their players more rest.

If everyone in a Sydney conference plays each other twice then the amount of Sydney vs Sydney games will be greater than it is at the moment. Not all Sydney teams play each other twice under the current model.

Matiunz

Juniors
I always cringe when the “Sydney conference” idea does its rounds.
It would benefit Sydney and Sydney alone, Sydney clubs already benefit from minimal travel why make it zero? The flow on for recruitment would reap even more advantages for the Sydney conference. Add to that the increase in travelling costs for the Non Sydney teams and the scales tip even further in Sydney’s favour.
The only real fair way is everyone plays everyone once on an alternating home and away schedule. Have origin on stand alone weekends and bring in a preseason knockout comp, have a meaningful rep season and/or bring back nines if we need to pad the schedule for tv

Canard

Immortal
It would benefit Sydney and Sydney alone, Sydney clubs already benefit from minimal travel why make it zero? The flow on for recruitment would reap even more advantages for the Sydney conference. Add to that the increase in travelling costs for the Non Sydney teams and the scales tip even further in Sydney’s favour.
The only real fair way is everyone plays everyone once on an alternating home and away schedule. Have origin on stand alone weekends and bring in a preseason knockout comp, have a meaningful rep season and/or bring back nines if we need to pad the schedule for tv
You're not telling me that this is a Sydney centric administration that makes decisions solely for Sydney? And a Sydney centric press?

I mean even expansion to other states is framed around how we can get more Sydney teams in the comp.

Vlad59

Bench
Solid post mate

flippikat

Bench
Politis is just looking out for his club. What he's suggesting will alienate half of the clubs.

The Bears' "non-negotiables" rules out any possibility of them relocating to Perth, Melbourne or New Zealand.

It's why V'landys is pushing ahead with PNG as his preferred option.
If the NRL are brokering a Perth Bears deal, I wouldn't be surprised if V'Landys is putting pressure on the Bears to be more flexible than their public position, and putting pressure on Perth to be accepting that "this is your best shot".

Big IF, but it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility.. and none of us know what mechanations are happening behind the scenes.

docbrown

Coach
AI logistics planning have now gotten to the point where you can feed in data from the past ten years and spit out a schedule that maximises rivalry games, games with larger crowds and the ideal slots for each game. In that regards, conferences are not required to maximise attendances.

blue bags

First Grade
Wouldn't it be better to relocate the Brumbies to Adelaide?

Western Force remain in Perth. Rebels cease operations. We don't want the Reds or Waratahs.
Ok Waratahs can Play NRL
Share SFS with Rooster's
Sydney sports fans can have a live game every weekend at SFS . They the fans would love it
REDS can do the same in Brisbane
Lang Park. Suncorp stadium
Fantastic for the fans 😄

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Most of that is pretty spot on. Perth before PNG 100%
Most of it is but I wish he was honest about this part, and his complaints about the draw:

“Eighteen is perfect. We’ve got to do that. I think it makes sense. It’ll be great for the gate. Playing all the Sydney teams twice is better for us than playing the Titans or Dolphins at home. Revenue will go through the roof. You’ll get better crowds. It’s fair.”

That’s great for Sydney sides. But it means the travel burden is even more lopsided for the other sides, and doesn’t really provide them with much of an upside, besides guaranteeing derby games for the QLD sides. That said I’m not necessarily against it as long as the non Sydney teams get the extra travel costs compensated as part of their grant.
I could see Newcastle not being keen on it though.

If the NRL are brokering a Perth Bears deal, I wouldn't be surprised if V'Landys is putting pressure on the Bears to be more flexible than their public position, and putting pressure on Perth to be accepting that "this is your best shot".

Big IF, but it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility.. and none of us know what mechanations are happening behind the scenes.
I wouldn't blame either party for turning down that proposition. The only Sydney team that would work in Perth is the Wests Tigers -- under the name Western Tigers -- but there's no chance of that happening.

MugaB

Coach
With only two states with more than one team theres obviously going to be bias to generate local derbies. Again the data needs to be looked at. Is Sths v Cronulla for example more popular to attend than Souths v eels? Qlnd teams will all have to be in one conference.
Data wont matter, distance will, over time those close in proximity will end up gradually being the "local derbys" the more they play them the more hate between the clubs and fans will garner more attention and therefore attendance, look at the Penrith vs Parramatta derby, it was never a big thing till the past few years when Penrith started going well, Parramatta had manly and bulldogs as more of the so called "rivalary" its only because they are the only teams next to each other that its become a thing, (Penrith has alwats hated parra, little bro syndrome) but its bigger now

Last edited: