What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Canard

Immortal
18: PNG - govt funded, further expands nrl into the pacific, creates a point of differentiation, makes NRL more important politically, taps into a league stronghold area

19: NZ South Island - taps into growing demand for RL in NZ, creates local rivalries with the warriors and PNG, great new stadium in Christchurch, opportunity to steal market share from union

20: Perth (dependant on stadium upgrade or new rectangle stadium ) - tackle a new market, expand the comp nationally

20 alternative: Brisbane 3 - if having a strong financial backing and supporter backing is more important than a new market and Perth doesn’t get a stadium upgrade then let’s go with Brisbane 3
Great, another @Wb1234 alt.

PNG is an objectively shit idea that will be a off field and on field basketcase for the NRL.

I know it's hard for you guys in your Sydney bubble to grasp.

MugaB

Coach
All you've ever posted is "it's PNG for team 18, and all the other options are not happening".

And the only justification anyone has for PNG seems to be 'but but V'landys"

So have a look in the mirror pal.
Huh? Yes png will be 18th, but there's 19th and 20th too so I'm not rulling out any other bids either, they could all very well come out near each other, could be nz2 (which you love to shit on) or Perth (which Donks loves to shit on)

Colk

First Grade
I think it will be a huge mistake to take the "dots on map" option of putting a team in Perth.

1. It'll never provide star players capable of representing Australia. There's a limit on how many people will play the game in Western Australia. The standard of the Western Australian competitions will never be at the same level as the ones in Queensland and NSW.

2. The team will draw terrible ratings in Perth and across the country unless it's a runaway success like the Storm, consigning it to poor coverage on 9Gem in its home market.

3. Western Australians are socially conservative and resistant to change. There's no way rabid fumbleball fans will give an RL team the time of day because they will see it as an attack on the Eagles and Dockers. Plenty of bogans with mullets and missing teeth over there who see games like rugby league as "unAustralian".

4. The WA Gov is too greedy and in bed with AwFuL to build a proper stadium for an NRL team.

5. If an NRL team was put in Perth then there's a good chance AwFuL will counter it by putting a third team in Western Australia. There's more support in Perth for a third AwFuL club than one in the NRL.

Don't let the empty rhetoric from Perth Rat fool you into thinking there's a huge groundswell of support for the game in Perth. It's just a few expatriates pushing for a team because they miss being back home.

Besides being the 1000th time you have posted the same thing (really you and Perth Red need a room) how in the hell would/could you know this or have an opinion on it? You haven’t been to WA have you?

Canard

Immortal
Huh? Yes png will be 18th, but there's 19th and 20th too so I'm not rulling out any other bids either, they could all very well come out near each other, could be nz2 (which you love to shit on) or Perth (which Donks loves to shit on)
PNG is far from certain, you need to grasp that concept.

I think NZ2 is a good idea, I think the 2 bids put forward so far are shit though, 'fan funded" is not ever going to work and just screams "we have no funding". If Michael Searle is involved then, I'm out no matter what bid it is.

I also think resurrecting the Bears, just so Sydney can have more games is probably the worst idea of the lot, and a classic example of how Sydney centric the game is.

MugaB

Coach

I think NZ2 is a good idea, I think the 2 bids put forward so far are shit though, 'fan funded" is not ever going to work and just screams "we have no funding". If Michael Searle is involved then, I'm out no matter what bid it is.

I also think resurrecting the Bears, just so Sydney can have more games is probably the worst idea of the lot, and a classic example of how Sydney centric the game is.
I don't mind the bears as long as its a full relocation to Perth or wherever... it needs to justify a return, not tokenism.. I like it coz it means the new area will have some inception history automatically, the colors are pretty solid too, but if they are going to stay with the whole county roaming BS and nso games they can sit in Reserves forever,
As far as Sydney centric, you cannot fault the AFL for their Melbourne centric views then either, both codes derived from those cities, the populous won't budge on turning away from that, you're better off watching Aleague or BigBash if you want true nationalism

Canard

Immortal
As far as Sydney centric, you cannot fault the AFL for their Melbourne centric views then either, both codes derived from those cities, the populous won't budge on turning away from that
Do you support more games in the over saturated Sydney market? don't really care about the AFL, but by my understanding even they believe they have to many teams in Melbourne.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Whenever I quoted media analyst Colin Smith and Head of Strategy WWOS Simon Fordham, I was told by you, Butthurtski and Perth Crud that their support for Brisbane 3 doesn't matter.

The fact you're now saying we must listen to the media proves you're biased and don't have a f**ken clue. You're entitled to your opinion, but you're very biased and ignore anything that doesn't line up with your preconceived ideas.
Mate, for the 100th time... I don't doubt channel 9 are supportive of another Brisbane team down the track. Colin Smith said something like 'we believe there is room for another team in QLD" you have misconstrued that as "Brisbane 3 will be team 18" because you're so desperate to win arguments on the internet, you grasp at any straws possible.

Centy Coast thinks a bunch of players know which club will be team 18... I'm saying the media would surely investigate this and report it by now if it had any truth to it.

MugaB

Coach
Do you support more games in the over saturated Sydney market? don't really care about the AFL, but by my understanding even they believe they have to many teams in Melbourne.
I dont, that's why I brang up a full embracement of the new market for them, if they want some token NSO game thet could use a trial game or get the away team to gift them it

Vee

First Grade

Searle's involved?

Besides being the 1000th time you have posted the same thing (really you and Perth Red need a room) how in the hell would/could you know this or have an opinion on it? You haven’t been to WA have you?
I talk with Western Australians everyday. None of them care for rugby league. They refer to it as "rugby".

Now you are just being silly
I'm yet to meet a born and raised Western Australian on social media or in person that cares about rugby league. Everyone I've met supports the Eagles or the Dockers.

The WA Premier that spoke about an NRL team in Perth was originally from NSW and schooled in Queensland.

Vlad59

Bench
I'm yet to meet a born and raised Western Australian on social media or in person that cares about rugby league. Everyone I've met supports the Eagles or the Dockers.

The WA Premier that spoke about an NRL team in Perth was originally from NSW and schooled in Queensland.
Then who the hell are all those people who go to origin games and other nrl matches there? On the occasions I have been to Perth it isn’t difficult to find league supporters. Doc Browns charts demonstrate there is definitely interest there. It’s held back though by the lack of a team. I know you like annoying PR. Who wouldn’t? He’s an idiot. But don’t write trash mate.

i0Nic

Juniors
I think it will be a huge mistake to take the "dots on map" option of putting a team in Perth.

1. It'll never provide star players capable of representing Australia. There's a limit on how many people will play the game in Western Australia. The standard of the Western Australian competitions will never be at the same level as the ones in Queensland and NSW.

2. The team will draw terrible ratings in Perth and across the country unless it's a runaway success like the Storm, consigning it to poor coverage on 9Gem in its home market.

3. Western Australians are socially conservative and resistant to change. There's no way rabid fumbleball fans will give an RL team the time of day because they will see it as an attack on the Eagles and Dockers. Plenty of bogans with mullets and missing teeth over there who see games like rugby league as "unAustralian".

4. The WA Gov is too greedy and in bed with AwFuL to build a proper stadium for an NRL team.

5. If an NRL team was put in Perth then there's a good chance AwFuL will counter it by putting a third team in Western Australia. There's more support in Perth for a third AwFuL club than one in the NRL.

Don't let the empty rhetoric from Perth Rat fool you into thinking there's a huge groundswell of support for the game in Perth. It's just a few expatriates pushing for a team because they miss being back home.
While I mostly agree and there’s a lot of factors to consider, NRL needs to invest and push into new market opportunities just as the AFL are doing. It’s an investment into the long term.

Santino Patane

Juniors
18: PNG - govt funded, further expands nrl into the pacific, creates a point of differentiation, makes NRL more important politically, taps into a league stronghold area

19: NZ South Island - taps into growing demand for RL in NZ, creates local rivalries with the warriors and PNG, great new stadium in Christchurch, opportunity to steal market share from union

20: Perth (dependant on stadium upgrade or new rectangle stadium ) - tackle a new market, expand the comp nationally

20 alternative: Brisbane 3 - if having a strong financial backing and supporter backing is more important than a new market and Perth doesn’t get a stadium upgrade then let’s go with Brisbane 3
Depends on how you look at it, it’s either what you want to happen, what you think should happen or what you think is actually gonna happen. For me it’s:-

What I want to happen
18. Brisbane Tigers (Bengals, Sabres etc)- pure parochialism. I’d love more content locally…
19. Perth- would be great to have a team in a new market
20. PNG- if they could land this, that would be something special for both RL and PNG!

What I think should happen
18. NZ2- strike whilst the iron is hot. Never been a better time to grow the game in NZ. Was against the idea a few months ago but have changed my tune hearing from the locals and seeing what the Wahs have done
19. Perth- linked to above, but more for expanding to a location that seems to be willing to support a franchise where it will need it as it will be a shorter term drain on the comp (no juniors, no large, established fanbase).
20. PNG or Bris3- if it that timeframe a PNG team is still viable, do it- it’s a big thinking plan. If not, Bris3 is a slam dunk (and would have given the Dolphins breathing space to establish)

what I think will happen
No idea, seems like for a while PNG were a shoe in, but anything I say here is just a guess……

Vlad59

Bench
Depends on how you look at it, it’s either what you want to happen, what you think should happen or what you think is actually gonna happen. For me it’s:-

What I want to happen
18. Brisbane Tigers (Bengals, Sabres etc)- pure parochialism. I’d love more content locally…
19. Perth- would be great to have a team in a new market
20. PNG- if they could land this, that would be something special for both RL and PNG!

What I think should happen
18. NZ2- strike whilst the iron is hot. Never been a better time to grow the game in NZ. Was against the idea a few months ago but have changed my tune hearing from the locals and seeing what the Wahs have done
19. Perth- linked to above, but more for expanding to a location that seems to be willing to support a franchise where it will need it as it will be a shorter term drain on the comp (no juniors, no large, established fanbase).
20. PNG or Bris3- if it that timeframe a PNG team is still viable, do it- it’s a big thinking plan. If not, Bris3 is a slam dunk (and would have given the Dolphins breathing space to establish)

what I think will happen
No idea, seems like for a while PNG were a shoe in, but anything I say here is just a guess……
Great post

my preference is Perth, NZ 2 and then PNG if ready or Bris 3 if they are not.

what do I think will happen? NFI

Latest posts