What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Then who the hell are all those people who go to origin games and other nrl matches there? On the occasions I have been to Perth it isn’t difficult to find league supporters. Doc Browns charts demonstrate there is definitely interest there. It’s held back though by the lack of a team. I know you like annoying PR. Who wouldn’t? He’s an idiot. But don’t write trash mate.
A considerable amount of tourists fly to Perth for Origin.

Perth became the centre of a rugby league fan frenzy in June 2019, when Optus Stadium hosted its first ever State of Origin in front of a sold-out capacity crowd of more than 59,000 people.

Close to 11,700 people visited WA for that game, spending more than $19 million and staying nearly 69,500 combined nights — generating huge benefits for WA tourism businesses, hotels, bars, restaurants and other hospitality operators.

WA's key tourism attractions and the spectacular Optus Stadium were also showcased in a television broadcast of the match watched by about 1.96 million viewers around the country.

The WA Gov is pushing for an NRL team due to the amount of tourism it believes a team will generate.

A successful bid for an 18th NRL team in WA will bring community, economic and tourism benefits

The inclusion of a WA team would deliver significant economic and tourism benefits through the attraction of interstate visitors and exposure of the State to large television audiences on the east coast.

There are a lot of expatriates from Queensland, NSW and New Zealand in Perth due to the mining boom of the last 25 years. I'm convinced they form the bulk of WA's RL community and are turning up to watch Origin and NRL games in Perth.

The Goodwin brothers are the younger siblings of Luke Goodwin. He moved to Perth to play for the Reds in the 1990s.

As a youth, Goodwin and his family moved to Perth while his brother Luke was playing for the Perth-based Western Reds, while Bryson was also the ball boy.

Curtis Rona was a New Zealander. He played rugby union as a junior. I remember reading some where that he was introduced to rugby league by accident when his mum signed him up to Joondalup Giants by mistake.

TV ratings don't lie and back me up. An average of 8k people in Perth watch NRL games.on FTA. When Foxtel provided a metropolitan breakdown in 2017 there were just 5k watching from Perth.

Metro Audiences

Sydney average 161,000
Melbourne average 12,000
Brisbane average 111,000
Adelaide average 7,000
Perth average 8,000

WA has less players than Victoria. Only 4.1k players in WA.

I don't doubt there's thousands of expatriates in Perth who support RL. However, I question how many of them will become active supporters of a Perth-based team. It could end up being a worse version of the Titans, with fans only turning up to see their favourite team play against the Pirates. If that's the case then it'll be a disaster because Gold Coast has far more fans of other teams living in SEQ.

Vlad59

Juniors
A considerable amount of tourists fly to Perth for Origin.

Perth became the centre of a rugby league fan frenzy in June 2019, when Optus Stadium hosted its first ever State of Origin in front of a sold-out capacity crowd of more than 59,000 people.​
Close to 11,700 people visited WA for that game, spending more than $19 million and staying nearly 69,500 combined nights — generating huge benefits for WA tourism businesses, hotels, bars, restaurants and other hospitality operators.​
WA's key tourism attractions and the spectacular Optus Stadium were also showcased in a television broadcast of the match watched by about 1.96 million viewers around the country.​

The WA Gov is pushing for an NRL team due to the amount of tourism it believes a team will generate.

A successful bid for an 18th NRL team in WA will bring community, economic and tourism benefits​
The inclusion of a WA team would deliver significant economic and tourism benefits through the attraction of interstate visitors and exposure of the State to large television audiences on the east coast.​

There are a lot of expatriates from Queensland, NSW and New Zealand in Perth due to the mining boom of the last 25 years. I'm convinced they form the bulk of WA's RL community and are turning up to watch Origin and NRL games in Perth.

The Goodwin brothers are the younger siblings of Luke Goodwin. He moved to Perth to play for the Reds in the 1990s.

As a youth, Goodwin and his family moved to Perth while his brother Luke was playing for the Perth-based Western Reds, while Bryson was also the ball boy.​

Curtis Rona was a New Zealander. He played rugby union as a junior. I remember reading some where that he was introduced to rugby league by accident when his mum signed him up to Joondalup Giants by mistake.

TV ratings don't lie and back me up. An average of 8k people in Perth watch NRL games.on FTA. When Foxtel provided a metropolitan breakdown in 2017 there were just 5k watching from Perth.

Metro Audiences​
Sydney average 161,000​
Melbourne average 12,000​
Brisbane average 111,000​
Adelaide average 7,000​
Perth average 8,000​

WA has less players than Victoria. Only 4.1k players in WA.

I don't doubt there's thousands of expatriates in Perth who support RL. However, I question how many of them will become active supporters of a Perth-based team. It could end up being a worse version of the Titans, with fans only turning up to see their favourite team play against the Pirates. If that's the case then it'll be a disaster because Gold Coast has far more fans of other teams living in SEQ.
More often is less. I’m not even going to bother reading any of that. Perth is a huge potential market for the game and a great expansion area. Post every article you like. The game needs to grow and there is a ready market there for us.

While I mostly agree and there’s a lot of factors to consider, NRL needs to invest and push into new market opportunities just as the AFL are doing. It’s an investment into the long term.
Wellington and Christchurch would provide a better return, in my opinion. Both markets would be new to the game and have a higher amount of people who can become NRL players. It benefits the international game, too.

Bukowski

Juniors
More often is less. I’m not even going to bother reading any of that. Perth is a huge potential market for the game and a great expansion area. Post every article you like. The game needs to grow and there is a ready market there for us.
Just go back to replying to him with 'potato '.

Depends on how you look at it, it’s either what you want to happen, what you think should happen or what you think is actually gonna happen. For me it’s:-

What I want to happen
18. Brisbane Tigers (Bengals, Sabres etc)- pure parochialism. I’d love more content locally…
19. Perth- would be great to have a team in a new market
20. PNG- if they could land this, that would be something special for both RL and PNG!

What I think should happen
18. NZ2- strike whilst the iron is hot. Never been a better time to grow the game in NZ. Was against the idea a few months ago but have changed my tune hearing from the locals and seeing what the Wahs have done
19. Perth- linked to above, but more for expanding to a location that seems to be willing to support a franchise where it will need it as it will be a shorter term drain on the comp (no juniors, no large, established fanbase).
20. PNG or Bris3- if it that timeframe a PNG team is still viable, do it- it’s a big thinking plan. If not, Bris3 is a slam dunk (and would have given the Dolphins breathing space to establish)

what I think will happen
No idea, seems like for a while PNG were a shoe in, but anything I say here is just a guess……
I'm warming to the idea of NZ2, Bris3 and NZ3 in that exact order. Maximises value of the broadcast rights in New Zealand and Australia. Provides more opportunities for local talent in Brisbane and New Zealand. Strengthens Origin and Tests. Genuine demand for more NRL content in these markets.

I honestly don't know what direction they'll go with. Some of the ideas tossed up by V'landys have been so out there it's hard to know if he's serious or trolling.

i0Nic

Juniors
Wellington and Christchurch would provide a better return, in my opinion. Both markets would be new to the game and have a higher amount of people who can become NRL players. It benefits the international game, too.
I agree there needs to be another NZ team pronto, and before a Perth team. But there’s no denying that Perth is a much bigger potential market than either Wellington or Christchurch, and I believe the NRL needs to be in WA.

Nz3 seems like a long way away and a big what if. We’d need a Nz2 to be operating and successful for years before a potential Nz3

Centy Coast

Juniors
Mate, for the 100th time... I don't doubt channel 9 are supportive of another Brisbane team down the track. Colin Smith said something like 'we believe there is room for another team in QLD" you have misconstrued that as "Brisbane 3 will be team 18" because you're so desperate to win arguments on the internet, you grasp at any straws possible.

Centy Coast thinks a bunch of players know which club will be team 18... I'm saying the media would surely investigate this and report it by now if it had any truth to it.
Not team 18, just another possible contender for one of the three spots.

I agree there needs to be another NZ team pronto, and before a Perth team. But there’s no denying that Perth is a much bigger potential market than either Wellington or Christchurch, and I believe the NRL needs to be in WA.

Nz3 seems like a long way away and a big what if. We’d need a Nz2 to be operating and successful for years before a potential Nz3

There is potential in Perth, but I think it is overstated on here. I remember all the buzz around the Western Force when they entered Super 14 in 2007. RU fans on The Roar were gloating about how huge their game was in Perth. The buzz fizzled out within a few years and the club has struggled on and off the pitch. Rebels have been a disaster since their introduction.

I remember AwFuL fans jumping up and down about GWS and GC and how they were going to convert Polynesians into fumbleball fans. They've failed on all metrics.

Lions still have the largest debt in AwFuL.

RL is the most watched sport in this country, despite not having teams in Adelaide and Perth. That makes me question the need to have teams in those markets.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I think it will be a huge mistake to take the "dots on map" option of putting a team in Perth.

1. It'll never provide star players capable of representing Australia. There's a limit on how many people will play the game in Western Australia. The standard of the Western Australian competitions will never be at the same level as the ones in Queensland and NSW.

2. The team will draw terrible ratings in Perth and across the country unless it's a runaway success like the Storm, consigning it to poor coverage on 9Gem in its home market.

3. Western Australians are socially conservative and resistant to change. There's no way rabid fumbleball fans will give an RL team the time of day because they will see it as an attack on the Eagles and Dockers. Plenty of bogans with mullets and missing teeth over there who see games like rugby league as "unAustralian".

4. The WA Gov is too greedy and in bed with AwFuL to build a proper stadium for an NRL team.

5. If an NRL team was put in Perth then there's a good chance AwFuL will counter it by putting a third team in Western Australia. There's more support in Perth for a third AwFuL club than one in the NRL.

Don't let the empty rhetoric from Perth Rat fool you into thinking there's a huge groundswell of support for the game in Perth. It's just a few expatriates pushing for a team because they miss being back home.
Places better than Perth for an nrl team

png
nz2
Nz3
Brisbane 3

Last edited:
Places better than Perth for an nrl team

png
nz2
Nz3
Brisbane 3
I agree. Heartland areas shouldn't miss out just so a mid-sized market with a small RL community can have a licence. I'm all for Perth getting a licence after all heartland areas have been properly accommodated.

AwFuL ruffled a lot of feathers by placing Queensland and NSW ahead of fumbleball heartland. We should learn from their mistakes. GWS and GC are costing them a fortune.

I think it will be a huge mistake to take the "dots on map" option of putting a team in Perth.

1. It'll never provide star players capable of representing Australia. There's a limit on how many people will play the game in Western Australia. The standard of the Western Australian competitions will never be at the same level as the ones in Queensland and NSW.

2. The team will draw terrible ratings in Perth and across the country unless it's a runaway success like the Storm, consigning it to poor coverage on 9Gem in its home market.

3. Western Australians are socially conservative and resistant to change. There's no way rabid fumbleball fans will give an RL team the time of day because they will see it as an attack on the Eagles and Dockers. Plenty of bogans with mullets and missing teeth over there who see games like rugby league as "unAustralian".

4. The WA Gov is too greedy and in bed with AwFuL to build a proper stadium for an NRL team.

5. If an NRL team was put in Perth then there's a good chance AwFuL will counter it by putting a third team in Western Australia. There's more support in Perth for a third AwFuL club than one in the NRL.

Don't let the empty rhetoric from Perth Rat fool you into thinking there's a huge groundswell of support for the game in Perth. It's just a few expatriates pushing for a team because they miss being back home.
Your profiling and estimation of West Australians and the WA government is about as accurate as Stevie Wonder playing pin the tail on the donkey.

I am going to suggest that you have no idea on what you are talking about.

Your profiling and estimation of West Australians and the WA government is about as accurate as Stevie Wonder playing pin the tail on the donkey.

I am going to suggest that you have no idea on what you are talking about.
According to Google Trends, few Western Australians searched for "National Rugby League" over the last five years.

Interest in subregions on Google Trends is indicated by a measurement between 0 and 100. A score of 100 indicates highest interest. A score of 0 indicates least interest.

For Western Australia, interest was rated at 14. Only South Australia scored a lower interest.

1FE12AF0-FA4E-40F2-881F-0BCE3206F28C.pngE58206F2-416F-41CE-B7B3-6AA20BE9A697.png893F91FB-3888-4A98-B512-7C0F7E9FFBDA.png

Comparing search trends between "National Rugby League" and "Australian Football League" provides grim reading.

For Western Australia and Tasmania the ratio was in favour of AwFuL at a ratio of 89:11. In Victoria it was 91:9. In South Australia it was 92:8. In Northern Territory it was 67:33.

In NSW and Queensland, interest levels favoured rugby league at a ratio of 79:21 and 69:31. ACT trended well at 61:39 in our favour.

Let's worry about keeping the game strong in Queensland, NSW and ACT. NT has potential to become more interested in rugby league.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
For the 10000000000th time, it's a completely reductive argument to state the area with no NRL presence is less interested in the NRL than the area with one.

No shit, Sherlock!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Adelaide isn’t on any radar and has never been mentioned to my knowledge, only by fans on social media.
SA came last in 2023 CAS championships, they didn’t win a game.
Please stop associating the Bears with them as it will never happen.
Nevers a long time. We have no idea how long it will take to get to 20 clubs. It might be another 15-20 years. Who knows what the NRL will want by then.

That'd be my preferred expansion plan. the actual one is likely to look very different.

Latest posts