What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the 27 years the state championships have been played

WA 17 titles
Vic 3
NT 1
ACT 1
Newcastle 1

Fifo doesnt seem to be that big an issue after all does it?

Centy Coast

Juniors
In the 27 years the state championships have been played

WA 17 titles
Vic 3
NT 1
ACT 1
Newcastle 1

Fifo doesnt seem to be that big an issue after all does it?
Last year it did, 12 players withdrew from the original WA squad named less than a week before the CAS Championships. Most of those players were from Grand Finalists North Beach and Fremantle and were replaced with players from Joondalup and Rockingham who struggled in 2023.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I think its hilarious that people think that any professional team should be for those that were born within a set of imaginary lines on a map, and anyone that moved interstate for work or other reasons, is somehow not important.

Canard

Immortal
Look at the 10 year timeline:
View attachment 86957
2023 - 80 average and 100 peak
2015 - 35 average and 44 peak

For people who don't understand how google trends data works, that's basically more than a DOUBLING (228% growth) of interest in NRL in WA over that period.

And as you say, they're now on par with a state that actually has an NRL team.

Edit: I just wanted to add that in the 2015 to 2023 span, the local population grew by 11%. 228% vs 11% indicates that it's a large non-population growth driven organic increase. This is actually more local Western Australians actively searching for NRL, rather than interstate migration etc.
@Get Rid of The Donkeys

Schitts Creek Burn GIF by CBC

Perth Red

Post Whore
These players probably miss more club games than they play because of their FIFO commitments.
Depends on their shift patterns. But again so what? RL here has always had a mining workforce contingent, nothing new there and as you can see from the titles it has rarley hampered us.

I fully expect Vic to be increasingly winning titles given the Storm and NRL are finally taking an interest in grassroots development there. There will be flow on into the local comp which will see the Vic league get much stronger. We saw it with the SG ball side years and players getting better through that then going back in to the WA comp if they didnt get picked up by East Coast clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think its hilarious that people think that any professional team should be for those that were born within a set of imaginary lines on a map, and anyone that moved interstate for work or other reasons, is somehow not important.
tbf its only really dumb people that think that way.

The reality is, and look at any NRL first team squad for the evidence, is that the majority of players, in fact the vast majority of players, dont come from that clubs area and havent played jnrs for that clubs region or sides. Its a profession and players move to where the money or opportunity is.

Dragonwest

Juniors
These players probably miss more club games than they play because of their FIFO commitments.

In Perths five team Fuel to Go & Play 1st grade competition there are a lot of FIFO players, clubs like Fremantle and South Perth are struggling because of this in 2024.
WA’s CAS side in 2023 had over 10 changes from the original Squad named due to many FIFO players being unavailable due to work commitments.
This is no doubt why VIC defeated WA in the CAS Final as the side was majorly disrupted.
I'm struggling to see how WA local clubs having to deal with FIFO commitments (effects all teams) has anything to do with Perth not being an option for a NRL team.

Some of the pull outs for the state team were FIFO related, not all ...

Look at the 10 year timeline:
View attachment 86957
2023 - 80 average and 100 peak
2015 - 35 average and 44 peak

For people who don't understand how google trends data works, that's basically more than a DOUBLING (228% growth) of interest in NRL in WA over that period.

And as you say, they're now on par with a state that actually has an NRL team.

Edit: I just wanted to add that in the 2015 to 2023 span, the local population grew by 11%. 228% vs 11% indicates that it's a large non-population growth driven organic increase. This is actually more local Western Australians actively searching for NRL, rather than interstate migration etc.
Could some of it be explained by the same people searching more often?

It's hilarious that the people who misunderstood google trends data and thought Inter Miami and Wrexham were 2 of the 10 most popular sporting sides in NZ are now trying to use it to prove WA is unpopular.
Did anyone actually say "Inter Miami and Wrexham were 2 of the 10 most popular sporting sides in NZ"?

I'm yet to see anyone actually make that claim. You've never been able to quote it.

In Perths five team Fuel to Go & Play 1st grade competition there are a lot of FIFO players, clubs like Fremantle and South Perth are struggling because of this in 2024.
WA’s CAS side in 2023 had over 10 changes from the original Squad named due to many FIFO players being unavailable due to work commitments.
This is no doubt why VIC defeated WA in the CAS Final as the side was majorly disrupted.

RL's growth in WA is dependent on FIFO players and officials strengthening the existing competitions and pathways.

Perth Rat is basically saying we should put a team in Perth because there are a few Queenslanders, New South Welshmen and New Zealanders living there due to the housing crisis on the east coast and mining boom in WA. I'm of the opinion there's more Queenslanders in Queensland, New South Welshmen in NSW and New Zealanders in NZ, thus making it a better option to put teams in underserviced areas from those places.

Latest posts