What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Fine by me. A competition that has clubs from Queensland, WA, Vic, ACT and NZ would be worth more than one that has a trillion Sydney sides and one from Newcastle.
A bloke that comes from a state where incest is king thinking he knows what's best for the game is hilarious.

Your club is a plastic corporate entity and you think clubs that have been there for 55 years should relocate to bring in more plastic shit.

The one thing I'll agree with former Manly supremo Ken Arthurson on bringing Queensland teams into the competition was the darkest period in the game's history.

A bloke that comes from a state where incest is king thinking he knows what's best for the game is hilarious.

Your club is a plastic corporate entity and you think clubs that have been there for 55 years should relocate to bring in more plastic shit.

The one thing I'll agree with former Manly supremo Ken Arthurson on bringing Queensland teams into the competition was the darkest period in the game's history.
Cry me a river.

Arthurson and Quayle went out of their way to kill the Newcastle Rugby League, Wollongong Rugby League, Canberra Rugby League and Brisbane Rugby League.

If they had have stayed put in Sydney, instead of using poker machine revenue to kill the BRL because it produced a generation of players who owned NSW in Origin, then Sydney's 12 clubs would still be alive and kicking in a suburban competition, which is where they belong.

Australia's worst case of inbreeding took place near Sydney. The kids from that inbred family mutilated the genitals of animals.

Do ya reckon they learnt that from seeing Gallen grab players by the nuts on the football field?

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Cry me a river.

Arthurson and Quayle went out of their way to kill the Newcastle Rugby League, Wollongong Rugby League, Canberra Rugby League and Brisbane Rugby League.

If they had have stayed put in Sydney, instead of using poker machine revenue to kill the BRL because it produced a generation of players who owned NSW in Origin, then Sydney's 12 clubs would still be alive and kicking in a suburban competition, which is where they belong.

Australia's worst case of inbreeding took place near Sydney. The kids from that inbred family mutilated the genitals of animals.

Do ya reckon they learnt that from seeing Gallen grab players by the nuts on the football field?

Who gives a flying f**k about State of Origin.

That became boring as bat shit as soon as they banned the biff after all of Queensland cried like bitches when Gal put one on Nate Myles' chin which is as big as the Kiama Blowhole.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Cry me a river.

Think you must've been asleep during high school geography.

That town you referred to is a lot closer to Canberra than it is to get to Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks for trolling and the derailment Adelaidesharky. Dont get so angry, don’t get so insulting and join in the debate or don’t come in here if peoples varied opinions upset you so much. Throwing around insults adds nothing to discussions on expansion.

Vee

First Grade
The Perth travel argument isn't very good. Literally every other major sport has made it work. Rugby, AFL, Soccer, Cricket, Basketball, Netball. That the poorer than poor West Coast Fever can manage it but the vastly richer NRL couldn't is laughable.

A second NZ team, especially in the South Island will not attract interest. The South Island is Rugby territory, to get any traction you would need the planets to align in a situation where the Crusaders, Tasman Makos and Canterbury to all suddenly fall apart. Even the most recent suggestion of an NZ 2 team from Hugh McGahan was for them to be linked with the Crusaders, something that NZ Rugby immediately squashed.

Wellington wouldn't work either, Hurricanes and Lions fans won't switch to League when they are one of the most competitive sides.
I thought Christchurch and south Island West Coast were the strongest areas after Auckland.

I thought Christchurch and south Island West Coast were the strongest areas after Auckland.
Christchurch would be a great place for a second team. It would be a great place for the Canterbury Bulldogs to relocate to as it will allow them to retain their brand.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Thanks for trolling and the derailment Adelaidesharky. Dont get so angry, don’t get so insulting and join in the debate or don’t come in here if peoples varied opinions upset you so much. Throwing around insults adds nothing to discussions on expansion.
Discussions on expansion is what I'm here for but I'm not going to cop outsiders calling for my club to be relocated.

As former AFL CEO Ross Oakley once said and this applies to League, fans of the sport are all for mergers and relocation as long as its not their own club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
Christchurch would be a great place for a second team. It would be a great place for the Canterbury Bulldogs to relocate to as it will allow them to retain their brand.
It’s a city of 380k where union rules. Realistically how much fan and corporate interest in a Rl club would there be? There are more grassroots clubs in WA than in the Canterbury region. It’s going to have a cracking stadium though.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Discussions on expansion is what I'm here for but I'm not going to cop outsiders calling for my club to be relocated.

As former AFL CEO Ross Oakley once said and this applies to League, fans of the sport are all for mergers and relocation as long as its not their own club.
Mate no one is being relocated, especially at the whim Of some Internet nobodies lol. It’s just gassing so don’t get so upset. I learnt along time ago not to worry if someone on a chat board had an opinion different to mine. Sharks are in the best position they’ve ever been in to get their sht together, hopefully they manage it this time without off field disasters getting in the way.
A strong Sydney is good for the game and is the base in which to build expansion from. Afl has only managed it as it has lots of really strong heartland clubs so it doesn’t have to keep throwing all its money at them And can invest in new markets instead.

Former All Blacks flyhalf Andrew Mehrtens had some interesting things to say about a second NZ NRL team. And yes I know the article is 6 months old.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...d-a-new-nrl-team-survive-20210501-p57o0p.html
An idiot in the comments section said Newtown or North Sydney should be added before NZ 2.

That sort of mentality is why our sport is so far behind everyone else. We would have a much larger following around the world if we didn't allow dumb drunks from western Sydney to run the show.

Last edited:
I

It’s a city of 380k where union rules. Realistically how much fan and corporate interest in a Rl club would there be? There are more grassroots clubs in WA than in the Canterbury region. It’s going to have a cracking stadium though.
If that's the case then NZ 2 is decades away from being a viable prospect. Auckland cannot support two clubs and will not be able to do so within the next 20 years.

That leaves the Brisbane Firehawks, Brisbane Jets and West Coast Pirates as the only candidates.

Any chance of all three teams being added?

I wouldn't add a fourth team to Brisbane. At least not before 2050. If there's not going to be a 2nd NZ team then West Coast Pirates, Adelaide Rams and Brisbane Firehawks are my preferred option for a 20 team competition. That would give our game some clout and respectability.

MugaB

Coach
If that's the case then NZ 2 is decades away from being a viable prospect. Auckland cannot support two clubs and will not be able to do so within the next 20 years.

That leaves the Brisbane Firehawks, Brisbane Jets and West Coast Pirates as the only candidates.

Any chance of all three teams being added?

I wouldn't add a fourth team to Brisbane. At least not before 2050. If there's not going to be a 2nd NZ team then West Coast Pirates, Adelaide Rams and Brisbane Firehawks are my preferred option for a 20 team competition. That would give our game some clout and respectability.
In the fair dinkum department only easts tigers are the only option for an 18th team, whether they are teamed up with the jets or not, west coast pirates are 5-10 years away from producing any impact on field, but its not without trying, the bears could come in as the 18th, but not in NSW no way... NZ2 is a possibility but it has to be expansion team built of the back of a current club, and i dont see that happening anywhere in NZ, this is an option for the bears, or Adelaide preferably... im still thinking PNG/Cairns Pride could be a force.. but realistically its most probably going to go SEQ4 as the Easts run, Suncorp based Firehawks /Tigers/Jets

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
In the fair dinkum department only easts tigers are the only option for an 18th team, whether they are teamed up with the jets or not, west coast pirates are 5-10 years away from producing any impact on field, but its not without trying, the bears could come in as the 18th, but not in NSW no way... NZ2 is a possibility but it has to be expansion team built of the back of a current club, and i dont see that happening anywhere in NZ, this is an option for the bears, or Adelaide preferably... im still thinking PNG/Cairns Pride could be a force.. but realistically its most probably going to go SEQ4 as the Easts run, Suncorp based Firehawks /Tigers/Jets
Adding the 18th team in Queensland gives the league very little wriggle room to expand anywhere else.

Coupled with the fact a third Brisbane team would seriously damage the Broncos.

It should be Adelaide, Perth or a second NZ team and that's it really.

Adding the 18th team in Queensland gives the league very little wriggle room to expand anywhere else.

Coupled with the fact a third Brisbane team would seriously damage the Broncos.

It should be Adelaide, Perth or a second NZ team and that's it really.
I would suggest that is it as down to these 3 the ARLC would go for a 2nd New Zealand team based in Wellington. I'm not saying i would favour that, but i think that's what they will do. In my opinion i think the 18th club will be in Queensland and Cairns. Again I'm not saying i agree with it, but Peter V'landy's philosophy is fish where the fish are.

mongoose

Coach
I just think the sheer monolith that is the Crusaders is too hard to topple. They're too successful.
I don't think the Crusaders even pull big crowds, barely above 12k... hows a brand new RL team going to do better?
I do want a second NZ team but I think it's more risky than people think

Latest posts