What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Steel Saints

Juniors
People don't care about International footy now, they certainly aren't going to care about Australia beating up on some poor as f**k nation.

Before Covid, Tonga was building some serious momentum. There was a sold out game against the Kangeroos at Mt Smart. There was a sea of red flags in the crowd. It was an awesome sight.

After Covid, sadly international footy has been sidelined. Last year's NZ v Aus test was pathetic. It was played at a venue in NZ, similar to Penrith stadium and the timeslot was a Saturday afternoon.

I think people do care about international footy. There is a place for it, especially if we all want the game to grow. Administrators need to notice this. They can't rely on SOO forever to be the 'jewel in the crown', otherwise the game is never going to realize it's potential.

PNG solves an underlying issue that I don’t think has really been discussed here to much extent anyways. Player surplus and player pool.

I don’t think this franchise will be a powerhouse off the bat - hell I think they’ll genuinely struggle on the field because of play makers and potential lack of but I also think that’ll be contained to possibly inside their first decade of existence.

Covid, lack of junior development and lack of sides really investing into pathways over a period of time has shown that whilst some positions have quality surplus - other positions do not. Quality middles, quality halves etc. Now this isn’t me saying that there isn’t enough players for 18, 19 and 20 teams because by the time they come in I’m sure there will be. This me saying there isn’t enough top tier players to fill 20 teams.

A side like Parramatta Eels - known for their great in house built success during the 80s has struggled with development and pathways through out the 90s and up til now. That should be an indication that getting these pathways right isn’t an easy task and that Panthers are the exception not the norm.

It’ll take a decade for these critical pathways and development to come to fruition - regardless of the club. Currently in the comp or potentially coming into the comp. But what PNG can provide that no other side except a botched til now NZ Warriors can provide. A pool of rugby league playing kids who are ripe for development to feed into the overall comp. Whether PNG management or NRL management get it right though is a completely different topic - but one thing is for sure it’s that PNG does have that pool and to date no current NRL club has been able to resource it effectively. So why not let them resource it for the rest of the comp - obviously they would require some astute rugby league people who know how to set up programs, development systems and pathways to assist.

Dog eat dog world and that’s a glass half full out look. When you observe it beyond the political play that it actually is and actually observe it from a pure rugby league play - you suddenly see the upside for the entire comp and game for having a PNG side.

Strip all that away and without an existing club well established in lower grades that invests into Perth then Perth will have to rely solely on being a recruitment club. Much like Panthers with pathways - the Storm and Roosters are the exceptions with being recruitments clubs having a lot of success - not the norm.

Suddenly you starting seeing between the lines and words that PVL has been using and saying. Ie pathways, ie juniors, ie development.

Suddenly you can start understanding why a Dolphins model is absolutely critical for a new side which doesn’t have resources built into its location DNA. Because that new side isn’t Roosters, they’re not Storm and they’re not Panthers.

No pathways and development = not many quality players.
Not many quality players = teams struggling to attract talent.
Teams struggling to attract talent = down performances.
Down performances = low crowds and team not being watched on tv.
Low crowds and team not being watched on tv = less corporate appeal.
Less corporate appeal = less money going into club.
Less money going into club = financial strain on club and league.
Financial strain on club and league = nothing good comes from it.

Now time for this to fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
PNG solves an underlying issue that I don’t think has really been discussed here to much extent anyways. Player surplus and player pool.

I don’t think this franchise will be a powerhouse off the bat - hell I think they’ll genuinely struggle on the field because of play makers and potential lack of but I also think that’ll be contained to possibly inside their first decade of existence.

Covid, lack of junior development and lack of sides really investing into pathways over a period of time has shown that whilst some positions have quality surplus - other positions do not. Quality middles, quality halves etc. Now this isn’t me saying that there isn’t enough players for 18, 19 and 20 teams because by the time they come in I’m sure there will be. This me saying there isn’t enough top tier players to fill 20 teams.

A side like Parramatta Eels - known for their great in house built success during the 80s has struggled with development and pathways through out the 90s and up til now. That should be an indication that getting these pathways right isn’t an easy task and that Panthers are the exception not the norm.

It’ll take a decade for these critical pathways and development to come to fruition - regardless of the club. Currently in the comp or potentially coming into the comp. But what PNG can provide that no other side except a botched til now NZ Warriors can provide. A pool of rugby league playing kids who are ripe for development to feed into the overall comp. Whether PNG management or NRL management get it right though is a completely different topic - but one thing is for sure it’s that PNG does have that pool and to date no current NRL club has been able to resource it effectively. So why not let them resource it for the rest of the comp - obviously they would require some astute rugby league people who know how to set up programs, development systems and pathways to assist.

Dog eat dog world and that’s a glass half full out look. When you observe it beyond the political play that it actually is and actually observe it from a pure rugby league play - you suddenly see the upside for the entire comp and game for having a PNG side.

Strip all that away and without an existing club that invests into Perth then Perth will have to rely solely on being a recruitment club. Much like Panthers with pathways - the Storm and Roosters are the exceptions with being recruitments clubs having a lot of success - not the norm.

Suddenly you starting seeing between the lines and words that PVL has been using and saying. Ie pathways, ie juniors, ie development.

Suddenly you can start understanding why a Dolphins model is absolutely critical for a new side which doesn’t have resources built into its location DNA. Because that new side isn’t Roosters, they’re not Storm and they’re not Panthers.

PNG juniors beat Australian schoolboys last year. Galvin played for Australia so it wasn't useless guys.

That is on the back of them following the Penrith model starting last year, so the process has began

Iamback

Coach
Before Covid, Tonga was building some serious momentum. There was a sold out game against the Kangeroos at Mt Smart. There was a sea of red flags in the crowd. It was an awesome sight.

After Covid, sadly international footy has been sidelined. Last year's NZ v Aus test was pathetic. It was played at a venue in NZ, similar to Penrith stadium and the timeslot was a Saturday afternoon.

I think people do care about international footy. There is a place for it, especially if we all want the game to grow. Administrators need to notice this. They can't rely on SOO forever to be the 'jewel in the crown', otherwise the game is never going to realize it's potential.

Fiji have a Jersey Flegg team to develop talent. Warriors won Harold Matthews, PNG started a program all this helps the quality of international footy

Jamberoo

Juniors
Why do you think I mentioned Auskick ?

Crowds are only similar if you round down by 1k on average lmao

Soccer would probably be second overall
Actually, since the Suns started, their average crowds on the GC has been marginally higher than Titans (13.5k v 13.4K).

I think you mentioned Auskick because you don’t have any actual evidence that the Titans are smashing the Suns and you are implying that Auskick should not count as participation. Even without it, there are still more people playing competitive AR than RL on the GC. If TV ratings were available I agree they would favour NRL, but overall it is pretty even and both the NRL and AFL would be disappointed with how their respective clubs are performing.

I am not sure how any sane person could say that the Titans are doing well.

Vlad59

Juniors
Actually, since the Suns started, their average crowds on the GC has been marginally higher than Titans (13.5k v 13.4K).

I think you mentioned Auskick because you don’t have any actual evidence that the Titans are smashing the Suns and you are implying that Auskick should not count as participation. Even without it, there are still more people playing competitive AR than RL on the GC. If TV ratings were available I agree they would favour NRL, but overall it is pretty even and both the NRL and AFL would be disappointed with how their respective clubs are performing.

There are not more people playing competitive AR than league on the Gold Coast. That is utter rubbish. It’s easy to find why I’m right. Don’t quote fumbler stats. Go look at the respective comps on their websites. It’s not even close. Add to this last year titans averaged 19500 and the suns under 14000. Try again

Wb1234

Referee

I mentioned aucskick cause afl numbers are bs

mongoose

Coach

Since Covid the Titans crowds have been much better than the Suns

Titans ave 15,919
Suns ave 11,487

I think the game's future will be heavily influenced by the South Pacific. The amount of players and fans who have ancestral ties with the South Pacific is huge.

Strip all that away and without an existing club well established in lower grades that invests into Perth then Perth will have to rely solely on being a recruitment club. Much like Panthers with pathways - the Storm and Roosters are the exceptions with being recruitments clubs having a lot of success - not the norm.

I've been telling everyone about Perth's flaws for months. People just don't want to know the truth.

I honestly don't see what rugby league gains by admitting a standalone Perth club.

Canard

Immortal

I think this is a solid theory, I think the fundamental issue of dispute here, is that you believe that a pathway can only be established from an existing 2nd or 3rd tier team, and cant be created from scratch, like the Cowboys, Broncos, Warriors, Knights have done.

Iamback

Coach
If PNG is done correctly , then we may possibly see an influx of players coming through into the NRL. That may help with expanding the league to 20 or 22 teams, and PNG would have a competitive national team.

Having more competitive national teams is what will really bring the money in

Iamback

Coach
I think this is a solid theory, I think the fundamental issue of dispute here, is that you believe that a pathway can only be established from an existing 2nd or 3rd tier team, and cant be created from scratch, like the Cowboys, Broncos, Warriors, Knights have done.

When those teams came in.

1. They had very strong local leagues to build from

2. Importantly though there was a reserve grade and u23's ( or whatever it was at the relevant time )

That is where Perth, NZ 2 and a lesser extent PNG will struggle

Cowboys Broncos are in a rugby league state. Knights is in a rugby league territory. All 3 had strong local comps prior to these clubs coming in. Warriors is a rugby (similar fundamentals to rugby league) nation. Perth, Adelaide are none of that.

Times have also changed and the Titans vs Dolphins models - both in SE QLD (rugby league territory) is best example in recent times of built from scratch and moderate rich investor vs built from a rugby league foundation and asset rich as their business model.

Last edited: