What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

1. Each to their own. I would say that it is severely over-produced.
2. I never really got Miles Davis or John Coltrane’s accent in their music considering they never sung on those records but sure. They’re jazz musicians mate. If you don’t know who they are then just say I haven’t heard of them.
3. Ok sure. You probably shouldn’t talk about other things that are low brow
4. What does it matter if they’re Jewish? Actually don’t answer that question as I know the answer.
5. There are dumb people everywhere. You really need to be generalising/profiling everything to fit some sort of ideological box that you have constructed.
Australians seem to like bland music. Radio is full of bland shit with simple repetitive tunes.

I'm not a fan of jazz. Too depressing. The only time I like saxophone is when it's mixed with distorted guitar ryths and bass.

Housos is funnier than the shit the Yanks produce.

Brian potter

Bench
I think we can finally declare League Unlimited dead. The fact this pack of first rate morons continues to post off topic utter bullshit here in such huge quantities shows that the moderators have given up. No casual poster in their right mind would go near this place. Good luck with it mate. Why any sane company would advertise here defies logic. This joint needs to crash and burn.
Chill out mate and grab yourself another cold one. or ten 🍺🍺

Centy Coast

Juniors
‘V'landys said it was not a condition of the Perth bid that they link with North Sydney Bears,’

Looks like V’Landys has contradicted himself, sounds like he said Perth and the Bears are a match made in heaven (over Perth Reds dead body) in this latest article, lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks like V’Landys has contradicted himself, sounds like he said Perth and the Bears are a match made in heaven (over Perth Reds dead body) in this latest article, lol.
I’d say it’s pretty clear nswrl myopic Vlandys would like to see a bears perth link up for club 19 but won’t make it a condition of entry and will accept perth without the bears if they tick the boxes.

mongoose

Coach
1. I know those bands. They are not obscure. Metal is not my favourite genre but a lot of modern metal is overproduced to the hilt, them included. I prefer psychedelic/stoner/heavy blues: they are not overproduced and they have actual groove.

2. So you’re qualifying all American music as crap because you don’t like Springsteen, Neil Diamond or Guns N Roses. Artists like Bob Dylan. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Son House, Robert Johnston, Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Velvet Underground, Howlin Wolf, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Leadbelly, Prince etc aren’t any good? There are plenty more too. Heck most music of the last 100 years outside of Reggae, Reggaeton or classical has its origins from blues, jazz or rock n’ roll which are all American art forms. It is a bit stupid to argue that there is no good American music unless you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

3. I don’t care about a golfer or people wearing Laker T-Shirts. There are more important things in life.

4. Again not all American shows are ordinary - The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad etc are all great shows. There are plenty of great American directors - Paul Thomas Anderson, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Eli Kazan, Robert Altman, Stanley Kubrick, Sidney Lumet, David Fincher, Micheal Mann, Coen Brothers.

5. That’s not that hard to understand. Rugby Union is a bigger game around the world
There are lots of reasons to shit on America but music isn't one of them. Yes they have an awful lot of shit but so much good stuff too, same with the Brits.

Vee

First Grade
The North West Star? I had to click on it, for old times sake.

Maximus

Coach
If PNG & the Perth Bears are the next two NRL clubs, that sets up a real tussle between Brisbane 3 & NZ 2 for the 20th spot.

Tough choice.

Going to be pretty easy. PNG will die off as soon as it loses its funding, so whichever side misses out gets their spot. The biggest issue is what happens when the Bears die out because they demand to play multiple games at NSO.

Pippen94

First Grade
Going to be pretty easy. PNG will die off as soon as it loses its funding, so whichever side misses out gets their spot. The biggest issue is what happens when the Bears die out because they demand to play multiple games at NSO.

Bears will die playing games at North Sydney oval - strange claim but whatever..

flippikat

Bench
Christchurch is the strong favourite

reality is nrl needs a second nz side way more than a 3rd Brisbane side
Brisbane 3 risks stepping on the toes of the Broncos, Titans & Dolphins - and maybe some Cowboys fans that live in SE Qld, whereas NZ 2 (especially if it's Christchurch) largely just risks cannibalizing Warriors fans - and very few of those in Christchurch would be what you'd class as "active fans" (buying merch, attending games, having Warriors memberships etc)

Brisbane 3 risks stepping on the toes of the Broncos, Titans & Dolphins - and maybe some Cowboys fans that live in SE Qld, whereas NZ 2 (especially if it's Christchurch) largely just risks cannibalizing Warriors fans - and very few of those in Christchurch would be what you'd class as "active fans" (buying merch, attending games, having Warriors memberships etc)
Serious question.

How can NZ2 not be a threat to the Warriors when the latter draw the second lowest amount of revenue from football operations in the NRL, despite having an entire country to themselves?

NRL commercial revenue snapshot​

FY23 median: $15.7m (YoY growth: 15.1%)
FY22 median: $12.7m (YoY growth: 34.8%)

Chart below shows overall commercial revenue, by team, for FY 2023 ($m)
Table with 3 columns and 15 rows.
Revenue ($m)Profit margin
Rabbitohs$23.5m56%
Dolphins$23.5m55%
Penrith$23.0m57%
Cowboys$22.7m63%
Eels$19.3m59%
Roosters$18.2m71%
Knights$17.8m63%
Bulldogs$15.7m49%
Titans$14.3m52%
Dragons$13.1m46%
Sharks$12.7m54%
Tigers$12.5m57%
Raiders$12.4m40%
Warriors$11.6m62%
Manly$11.5m55%
Source: NRL

Despite people predicting the Dolphins to cannibalise support for the Broncos and Titans, the opposite held true. Both clubs increased their attendances and membership tally after the Dolphins entered the competition.

The reality is NZ2 will be a far riskier proposition than people on here realise.

Wb1234

Referee
Wahs need a derby too
Serious question.

How can NZ2 not be a threat to the Warriors when the latter draw the second lowest amount of revenue from football operations in the NRL, despite having an entire country to themselves?

NRL commercial revenue snapshot​

FY23 median: $15.7m (YoY growth: 15.1%)​
FY22 median: $12.7m (YoY growth: 34.8%)​
Chart below shows overall commercial revenue, by team, for FY 2023 ($m)
Table with 3 columns and 15 rows.​
Revenue ($m)Profit margin
Rabbitohs$23.5m56%
Dolphins$23.5m55%
Penrith$23.0m57%
Cowboys$22.7m63%
Eels$19.3m59%
Roosters$18.2m71%
Knights$17.8m63%
Bulldogs$15.7m49%
Titans$14.3m52%
Dragons$13.1m46%
Sharks$12.7m54%
Tigers$12.5m57%
Raiders$12.4m40%
Warriors$11.6m62%
Manly$11.5m55%

Source: NRL​

Despite people predicting the Dolphins to cannibalise support for the Broncos and Titans, the opposite held true. Both clubs increased their attendances and membership tally after the Dolphins entered the competition.

The reality is NZ2 will be a far riskier proposition than people on here realise.
If another team in Brisbane grew the rugby league market which you’ve acknowledged then another team in a different city is even less chance of taking away support for the wahs

the issue is whether Christchurch can generate enough income as it’s a smaller population not what impact they have on the wahs which is basically nothing

Auckland to Christchurch is over 1000 kms which is similar to the distance between Gold Coast and Sydney

plus there’s a body of water separating them too

Latest posts