What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Iamback

Coach
Flegler is from Tully, which is about 1600km from Brisbane -

Farnworth is from Lancashire.

Amazing how those players were fine in moving long distances to follow their dreams.

On an unrelated note Flegler career is in doubt.

What does where they are from have to do with them being able to stay in Brisbane where they are settled?

Flegler has lived in Brisbane since 2018. No is settled there.

Farnsworth the same, Farnsworth also has a partner who is a Real Estate agent in Brisbane.

That said both got multi year very good deals so possibly would move to Perth.

Where the issues come up is the examples I used before. Kids in School or the bottom part of the roster where they may have side jobs or partners who have jobs.

Without a secure role won't take them, given the cap requires value for money down there.

Allowing these players to stay in the current situations but change clubs to being in a Perth system. Makes the likely hood to recruit the better options better and that is what gets the side better

Iamback

Coach
Most of these guys have mostly been Union lads and league poached them e.g. Joseph Suallii, Will Penisini, Angus Crichton.
Connor Watson was signed from Joeys by the Roosters, Connor had never played Union in his life lol.

Pensini was a St Pats boy. So RL school right there but my point is those schools are littered with Matts and Ball talent contracted to NRL clubs

Wb1234

Referee
They haven’t faded? You think they have loads of fans from the later end of Gen Y, Gen Z, Alpha etc?

There’s kids from that time period who are now adults who have never seen the Bears play as a first grade team. Other than the odd fully inculcated child of Bears fans, the boat has been completely missed with them.

Little has happened with the North Shore because of this exact dumb scenario. Clubs haven’t been spending on the North Shore because the hypothetical Bears re-entry has continually been discussed and bounced around as a possibility that could happen very soon.
Their parents were bears fans

I’ve seen comments from people on social media (under 30) saying they will support the bears if return

the north shore of Sydney is a rugby league desert. They don’t support manly

you know what the solution is

Wb1234

Referee
Most of these guys have mostly been Union lads and league poached them e.g. Joseph Suallii, Will Penisini, Angus Crichton.
Connor Watson was signed from Joeys by the Roosters, Connor had never played Union in his life lol.
Nope

most played league before then get offered scholarships to places like kings for free (up to 50k a he’s tuition fee)

suaali was a panthers junior or around there

the number of genuine union juniors in Australia is very few

they’ve all played league first

Centy Coast

Juniors
Nope

most played league before then get offered scholarships to places like kings for free (up to 50k a he’s tuition fee)

suaali was a panthers junior or around there

the number of genuine union juniors in Australia is very few

they’ve all played league first
I just know when my youngest son played league on the Central Coast on Saturdays and he played Union with Eastern Suburbs on Sundays (Manly centre Tolutau Koula played on the wing with us), Will Penisini played for Lindfield, we played them in two Grand Finals at Concord Oval.
I know Joseph Suallii went to school with Penisini at Kings.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I just know when my youngest son played league on the Central Coast on Saturdays and he played Union with Eastern Suburbs on Sundays (Manly centre Tolutau Koula played on the wing with us), Will Penisini played for Gordon, we played them in two Grand Finals at Concord Oval.
I know Joseph Suallii went to school with Penisini at Kings.
If my kid wanted to play union I would disown him lol

I played union at school and soccer (no league)

such an awful sport

has a nap in maul once

Suaali played league way before union

Centy Coast

Juniors
Great 16-12 win by the Bears (2nd) over the Newtown Jets (3rd), half-time 12-0 to the Bears.
Not bad when the Bears didn’t have one Storm NRL contracted player playing for them today and the Jets had 14 contracted Sharks players in their 17.
The Bears now have one hand on the Frank Hyde Shield and one the Perth license lol.

IMG_4781.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t see any reason

love the fact these Sydney centric cowards see expansion as an excuse to revive old failed Sydney suburban teams. Pretty much sums up their inadequate view of how good our game really is.
Would YOU be willing to f**k your suburban club off to Perth?

Or would you sook like a bitch at the suggestion of relocating your club to the other side of the country?

Your hero V'landys is the idiot who told WA Gov to "talk with the Bears". The blame for this falls on his shoulders.

Centy Coast

Juniors
If my kid wanted to play union I would disown him lol

I played union at school and soccer (no league)

such an awful sport

has a nap in maul once

Suaali played league way before union
My son’s best mate was playing down there, early one Sunday his family picked my son up as he was just going down with them to watch his mate play, I was still in bed and I heard his dad say “grab your boots”.
The Eastern Suburbs Wallaroos Rugby Coach paid for all the registration fees and petrol.
He had kids coming in from out West, a few played for the Bulldogs and the Dragons in Harold Matt’s and S.G.Ball.
He paid for two players to fly in from Adelaide each week.
Money to burn $$$.
They were virtually a league side playing Union, we’d pump everybody except Lindfield, who were a way smaller team but were a real Union team and would school us in scrums, line outs and in the ruck.
Our side was way more entertaining to watch though.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
T

My sons best mate was playing down there, one Sunday his family picked him and I heard his dad say “grab your boots”.
The Eastern Suburbs Wallaroos Rugby Coach paid for all the registration fees and petrol.
He had kids coming in from out West, a few played for the Bulldogs and the Dragons in Harold Matt’s and S.G.Ball.
They were virtually a league side playing Union, we’d pump everybody except Lindfield, who were a way smaller team but were a real Union team and would school us in scrums, line outs and in the ruck.
Our side was way more entertaining to watch though.
He paid for two players to fly in from Adelaide each week.
Money to burn $$$.
Not for long

Union is dieing

40 percent of the aru revenue came from either the irb or the kiwis

as someone else said all those private schools on the north shore are ripe for the picking for rugby league (barker? Scott’s Riverview etc)

When the Northern Eagles joint venture folded and the license went to Manly (kudos to Arko and Fulton) the NRL should have stepped in as they did when the Gold Coast Titans and other NRL clubs nearly folded.
A massive mistake by the NRL and utter selfishness by Manly.
this is on the norths board at the time, how they ever let that clause in, i have no idea. signed the death of norths right there

Centy Coast

Juniors
this is on the norths board at the time, how they ever let that clause in, i have no idea. signed the death of norths right there
Unfortunately $$$ money talks and everybody has a price, the two Bears Officials in charge at the time became very wealthy men by selling the club out, one ended up with a brand new Maserati, the other ended up with a highly paid position in Manly Leagues Club.

reanimate

Bench
You’d better get on the blower to your club then, they haven’t cared about the Northern Beaches for years.
I remember years ago when local Manly families were up in arms because buses of Blacktown kids were coming across to play in their local competitions so that they would qualify to play for the local rep teams.
Manly could’ve sent an olive branch to the Bears (not sure how it would have been received) to be their NSW Cup feeder club but they went out to Blacktown instead.
You’ll get no disagreement from me that the Blacktown arrangements are stupid.
When the Northern Eagles joint venture folded and the license went to Manly (kudos to Arko and Fulton) the NRL should have stepped in as they did when the Gold Coast Titans and other NRL clubs nearly folded.
A massive mistake by the NRL and utter selfishness by Manly.
Central Coast fans knew the merger was a takeover, they started not turning up to games because they knew Manlys intention was to move back down to Brokevale all along.
Perth people now think if a Perth Bears team struggles, the Bears will do a Manly on Perth and try to move over to Gosford or whatever.
Sorry the Bears are not like Manly.
I’m sure that the NRL will now have contract clauses in place protecting both sides of the merger, Arko and Fulton had way too much influence in ARL circles back in those days.
I agree that the NRL should have stepped in. If they had no plan for what would come for both regions, which they didn’t, then they should have forced the merger to continue to exist in some form. If dissolving was unavoidable, then at least until they had some semblance of a plan for both teams/regions.

Latest posts