What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

It’s going to face declining ratings after adding 3 more teams and Australia’s population will keep growing ?
Warriors are the least watched team in Australia.

IMG_0089.png

Why do you think Christchurch and PNG will succeed where the Warriors have failed?

How many people from Brisbane and Sydney will watch a Perth-based team?

The only way I see Perth having a strong following in Brisbane and Sydney is if they're powerhouses on the field (like the Storm).

Wb1234

Immortal
Warriors are the least watched team in Australia.

View attachment 90875

Why do you think Christchurch and PNG will succeed where the Warriors have failed?

How many people from Brisbane and Sydney will watch a Perth-based team?

The only way I see Perth having a strong following in Brisbane and Sydney is if they're powerhouses on the field (like the Storm).
Nrl grant to be 19.5 million
Nrl salary cap 12.5 million

heck even Annandale or University could come back and make it

MugaB

Coach
You're upset because I'm not indulging your delusions about PNG and the Bears?

If NSW RL writers are so smart, then how come their predictions about Pasifika@Cairns playing all over the Pacific, PNG@Cairns, PNG "guaranteed to be 17th NRL team and funded by the Aussie taxpayer", Melbourne Bears, Central Coast Bears, NSW Country Bears and Perth Bears playing 6 games at NSO never eventuated?

Every time they come out with some bullshit clickbait article you and MugaB fall for it hook, line and sinker.
As for hook, line and sinker... this is a qld journo donks, unlike you I don't care which state is providing expansion news, you seem to be be hung up on where it comes from, not the data it's presenting, you are bias towards qld, we are not.

Last week on Maroon observer

This week in expansion bullshit​

Firstly, we were treated to a dripfeed of stories, largely centre around noted coward and war cirme apologist, John Singleton. Singleton’s role in the media seems to be as a salve to the geriatrics still reading the papers, functioning as a reminder of the halcyon go-go 80s when they were young and as a last fling with relevance as that generation deals with its senescence. He also seems to be involved at the Newtown Jets.

Singleton wrote a letter to the Controlling Body saying he would do “whatever it takes” and then later sent some texts to Roy Masters, withdrawing his interest and complaining of being used as leverage in negotiations between WA and the Bears. Given the rise and collapse of Newtown’s attempts to ingratiate itself with the WA bid in the space of about two weeks and that it was entirely played out in the newspaper, speaks to the fecklessness and lack of seriousness of Singleton, a man born during the second World War but who seemingly learned none of its lessons.

Secondly:

Nearly a dozen consortiums [so, 11] have contacted head office to flag their interest in joining the premiership as the ARL Commission declares its doors are open to expansion hopefuls over the next month.
The commission met on Wednesday only hours before the second State of Origin game in Melbourne, where they confirmed they were ready to kick-off their quest to expand to potentially 20 teams in the lead-up to the 2032 Brisbane Olympics…
The return of a team in Perth and the addition of a side in Port Moresby are considered formalities.
None of this is really news I guess but then meeting held, rubber stamps wielded, minutes taken, action items actioned all sounds like things are happening but, as anyone with an email job knows, means jack all.

Thirdly, is this anything? We can discuss where $30 million is going to come from and whether that’s enough to just buy a licence outright but more importantly, why would the bid consortium put a letter on NRL WA letterhead to send to the CEO of NRL WA? You’re supposed to pay a brand agency $4 million dollars to come up with some dots or circles or something and a font.

As for hook, line and sinker... this is a qld journo donks

You're pissed off because he's not pushing the bullshit "Here come the Bears and PNG" narrative that you've been touting for years.

unlike you I don't care which state is providing expansion news, you seem to be be hung up on where it comes from, not the data it's presenting, you are bias towards qld, we are not.

If all of that were true then you wouldn't have said this, would you?

The writer of the article is called the Maroon observer..

MugaB

Coach
You're pissed off because he's not pushing the bullshit "Here come the Bears and PNG" narrative that you've been touting for years.

If all of that were true then you wouldn't have said this, would you?

I'm not sure what your deal is, I enjoy these articles, my thoughts mirror his posts, so whatever is up your arse, has nothing to do with me or my views on expansion, or the fact that I get most of my news/views from this very qld journo, and the Bears and PNG ARE coming not sure why you think otherwise donks

Wb1234

Immortal
I'm not sure what your deal is, I enjoy these articles, my thoughts mirror his posts, so whatever is up your arse, has nothing to do with me or my views on expansion, or the fact that I get most of my news/views from this very qld journo, and the Bears and PNG ARE coming not sure why you think otherwise donks
Brisbane 3 or bust!

Maroon Observer doesn't think Perth and PNG are viable and doubts they'll get a licence. Nor does he believe the Bears are coming back.

The fact you think Bears and PNG are coming proves your views don't "mirror" what he says.

You cannot see why I don't think Bears and PNG are coming?

How about the fact no one in WA wants the Bears?

Or the fact no one in WA needs the Bears?

Or the fact the Bears have f**k all money?

Or the fact North Sydney don't have a large amount of NRL standard juniors running around their district?

As for PNG.

No one will want to play for them.

Broadcasters won't want them.

Club will never be viable.

None of the clubs want a team to be based in PNG.

The 17 clubs are demanding one-third of the Gov's $600m funding proposal be allocated to them. That's not going to happen.

V'landys said the clubs need to approve of PNG for it to get the licence.

Only an idiot would continue to push the PNG narrative.

MugaB

Coach
Brisbane 3 or bust!
East tigers or bust really, I mentioned they'd be better off with a merger with Souths/Logan Magpies at least for branding purposes (better than fireburds) and a true south Brisbane heritage club, and he lost it, thought the idea was silly due to magpies being broke, and easts already being in prime position (well they are not coz they lack the branding of a south side brissy team)

Wb1234

Immortal
East tigers or bust really, I mentioned they'd be better off with a merger with Souths/Logan Magpies at least for branding purposes (better than fireburds) and a true south Brisbane heritage club, and he lost it, thought the idea was silly due to magpies being broke, and easts already being in prime position (well they are not coz they lack the branding of a south side brissy team)
Funny thing is neither you or I is against a Brisbane tigers team one day

indeed most of the people here say it’s a good idea

he’s being a baby

the dolphins aren’t even two years old now he wants another Brisbane team ahead of more deserving places

MugaB

Coach
Maroon Observer doesn't think Perth and PNG are viable and doubts they'll get a licence. Nor does he believe the Bears are coming back.

The fact you think Bears and PNG are coming proves your views don't "mirror" what he says.

You cannot see why I don't think Bears and PNG are coming?

How about the fact no one in WA wants the Bears?

Or the fact no one in WA needs the Bears?

Or the fact the Bears have f**k all money?

Or the fact North Sydney don't have a large amount of NRL standard juniors running around their district?

As for PNG.

No one will want to play for them.

Broadcasters won't want them.

Club will never be viable.

None of the clubs want a team to be based in PNG.

The 17 clubs are demanding one-third of the Gov's $600m funding proposal be allocated to them. That's not going to happen.

V'landys said the clubs need to approve of PNG for it to get the licence.

Only an idiot would continue to push the PNG narrative.
Show me the quote saying the Maroon observer , doesn't believe the bears and png aren't coming?

Stop making shit up donks, all you have is your own narrative, ...you're grasping at straws

Here's the quote
"If $30 million is the buy-in, then WA Bears could do it (if we put aside obvious alignment concerns between North Sydney and Perth), PNG and probably the Easts/Brisbane Tigers."

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Funny thing is neither you or I is against a Brisbane tigers team one day

indeed most of the people here say it’s a good idea

he’s being a baby

the dolphins aren’t even two years old now he wants another Brisbane team ahead of more deserving places
Deservings a harsh word, but at least move expansion around a bit, not all in the same city/ same time is all we are saying

Wb1234

Immortal
Deservings a harsh word, but at least move expansion around a bit, not all in the same city/ same time is all we are saying
Perth bears, png and nz2 do deserve teams ahead of another Brisbane team

the dolphins will be dead set against another Brisbane team so soon not to speak of the news ltd broncos

MugaB

Coach
Perth bears, png and nz2 do deserve teams ahead of another Brisbane team

the dolphins will be dead set against another Brisbane team so soon not to speak of the news ltd broncos
They really haven't EARNT it though, hunters maybe, but they haven't raised any capital, and we are only talking about them coz 600mil comes with it,
Ns Bears haven't been in top flight for 25 years, and Perth were only around for 3 years, I doubt Perth has really earned anything... they aren't willing to create pathways, without the carrot of NRL gifting them a top flight 1st grade team.. easts tigers along with other BRL teams have always been around much like the dolphins, and are more "deserving" of a spot before anyone else, so I get donks frustration, but we have to think about opportunities, aswell as the whole competition overall, we just got the dolphins, we can't be promoting another BRL club one so soon, so let's rope in another area, then come back

Wb1234

Immortal
They really haven't EARNT it though, hunters maybe, but they haven't raised any capital, and we are only talking about them coz 600mil comes with it,
Ns Bears haven't been in top flight for 25 years, and Perth were only around for 3 years, I doubt Perth has really earned anything... they aren't willing to create pathways, without the carrot of NRL gifting them a top flight 1st grade team.. easts tigers along with other BRL teams have always been around much like the dolphins, and are more "deserving" of a spot before anyone else, so I get donks frustration, but we have to think about opportunities, aswell as the whole competition overall, we just got the dolphins, we can't be promoting another BRL club one so soon, so let's rope in another area, then come back
Frustrations lol

he should still be happy about the dolphins being admitted

bears will have zero problems raising 30 million dollars.

of course nz deserves another side l. The warriors will be the first rugby side in the history of planet earth to sell out an entire season

kiwis are the current best test team in the world. And kiwis provide a huge number of players to the game

nz needs mor

Show me the quote saying the Maroon observer , doesn't believe the bears and png aren't coming?

Stop making shit up donks, all you have is your own narrative, ...you're grasping at straws

Here's the quote
"If $30 million is the buy-in, then WA Bears could do it (if we put aside obvious alignment concerns between North Sydney and Perth), PNG and probably the Easts/Brisbane Tigers."
In previous editions he said Perth and PNG won't get in.

Last edited:
Frustrations lol

he should still be happy about the dolphins being admitted

bears will have zero problems raising 30 million dollars.

of course nz deserves another side l. The warriors will be the first rugby side in the history of planet earth to sell out an entire season

kiwis are the current best test team in the world. And kiwis provide a huge number of players to the game

nz needs mor
The Bears don't have $30m sitting around to splash on an NRL licence. They've always been a poor club.

Why do you think the Northern Eagles lasted no longer than the Crushers and Reds?

Bears couldn't pay their share.

None of the NZ bids have $30m lying around.

Warriors are one of the poorest clubs in the NRL.

Broncos, Dolphins and Cowboys are the richest. The ARLC needs rich clubs that won't require financial assistance. Brisbane Tigers are the only bid that can provide that guarantee.

The last thing the nine Sydney clubs will want is a return of the Bears. Most of them are dirt poor and struggle for media coverage in an oversaturated market. Adding another Sydney brand will only make it harder for them.

There are loonies on here talking about teams from Sydney taking their home games to NSO to accommodate the Bears. It will never happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ck9

Latest posts