What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
So in a 20 team comp… that’s 28 games each

Cant see it …too many

maybe 4 divisions of 5… play the other 4 in your division twice and all the other teams once …23 games … 11 games home/away … + Magic Round

4 QLD + PNG
Perth, Newcastle , Manly, Souffs ,Roosters
Wests, Parra, Canterbury, Penrith, Dragons
2 NZ, Melb, Canberra, Sharks
They’ve said before they want two conferences

the sht fight will be when they try and make it an all Sydney conferences plus one

BuffaloRules

Coach
They’ve said before they want two conferences

the sht fight will be when they try and make it an all Sydney conferences plus one

You can still have 2 conferences …. Like the NfL does … 2 divisions in each conference… you just don’t play them all twice ,,,

Wb1234

Referee
You can still have 2 conferences …. Like the NfL does … 2 divisions in each conference… you just don’t play them all twice ,,,

They kind of want a return of the nswrl and the rest

BuffaloRules

Coach

They kind of want a return of the nswrl and the rest

i think things are pretty fluid at the moment… your 2021 article might be a little out of date now …delete that one from your database …

Wb1234

Referee
He is also talking about an 18 team not 20 team comp…

Like I said early …this would mean 28 games in a 20:team comp… is that too many in your opinion ?
The idea number is 20

and it will never happen as it means a 25 percent cut in the tv deal

more home games means more gate money for clubs

On the road games to country areas and nz is a must

clubs need to be creative

BuffaloRules

Coach
The idea number is 20

and it will never happen as it means a 25 percent cut in the tv deal

more home games means more gate money for clubs

On the road games to country areas and nz is a must

clubs need to be creative

20 games is not ideal IMO …. Each team needs to play their biggest rivals home and away each year … that doesnt mean that every Sydney team needs to play each other twice though

Vlad59

Bench
Nah not under my skin just calling out your shit.

Local derbies was an example

Auckland
Canberra
Townsville
Melbourne
Newcastle
Brisbane
Gold Coast

All would lose 2-3 NRL games to reduce the season. So again tell me how a shortened season is good for the game?

Point me to where I said I didn't want expansion? If it is that easy you should have plenty of examples
1. Youve failed to point to the post where I said we reduce the number of games each year so either you are a lying or stupid. Or both.
2. You have constantly death ridden Perth and Melbourne throughout each expansion thread demonstrating an anti expansion mindset. There are literally dozens of posts to prove it. It’s clear you are anti Perth unless it’s governed by a Sydney nanny team. And you continue to post negative crap about Melbourne despite the obvious strides the club has made particularly since Vlandys has taken over.
3. It’s the mindset of gutless turds like you that have held the game back for decades.
4. Get stuffed.

Wb1234

Referee
20 games is not ideal IMO …. Each team needs to play their biggest rivals home and away each year … that doesnt mean that every Sydney team needs to play each other twice though

20 is what people say for player welfare and quality of games

if it’s two ten team conferences you can do home and away in your conference plus cross pool games

reality is content is king

the nrl won’t be reducing the number of games and the move to add two more home games has been already discussed

BuffaloRules

Coach
20 is what people say for player welfare and quality of games

if it’s two ten team conferences you can do home and away in your conference plus cross pool games

reality is content is king

the nrl won’t be reducing the number of games and the move to add two more home games has been already discussed

Well… the model I proposed is 23 games as opposed to the current 24…

Content will still be increased with 3 extra teams

And big local derby games will still happen home and away every year

Iamback

Coach

Again if we look to NFL. Copy that model they want to go 20 weeks, Adding a 2nd bye.

No reason the NRL can't stay at the current length just add extra byes. It is tough but you want to keep all parties happy. 27 week comp but 23 rounds

BuffaloRules

Coach
Again if we look to NFL. Copy that model they want to go 20 weeks, Adding a 2nd bye.

No reason the NRL can't stay at the current length just add extra byes. It is tough but you want to keep all parties happy. 27 week comp but 23 rounds

they have Origin to squeeze in too which the NFL doesn’t have to worry about ..

they aren’t going to have players backing up 48 hrs after Origins for club games indefinitely IMO … the games are more physical now then ever …they will need to play these on stand alone weekends …

Iamback

Coach
they have Origin to squeeze in too which the NFL doesn’t have to worry about ..

they aren’t going to have players backing up 48 hrs after Origins for club games indefinitely IMO … the games are more physical now then ever …they will need to play these on stand alone weekends …

The Monday night Origin that was floated fixes that. Run NRLW on Thursday night. Gives players 5 day turnaround and limits the hit to TV ratings

Steel Saints

Juniors
In the old days, teams played 22 games, 11 at home. With the addition of Magic Round, that makes it 23 games. You can reduce rounds, as long as there is extra teams. Extra teams equates to more games per week.

During origin period, you either:
- keep it as it is with the comp continuing
-comp stops with three standalone origin weeks
-one standalone week like it was in the previous tv deal where one origin was played on a Sunday night. A pattern of Wed-Sun-Wed.

Then again, will Wednesday night origin still be a thing?

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
In the old days, teams played 22 games, 11 at home. With the addition of Magic Round, that makes it 23 games. You can reduce rounds, as long as there is extra teams. Extra teams equates to more games per week.

During origin period, you either:
- keep it as it is with the comp continuing
-comp stops with three standalone origin weeks
-one standalone week like it was in the previous tv deal where one origin was played on a Sunday night. A pattern of Wed-Sun-Wed.

Play every team once is 19 games
Having 4 x 5 team pools and play those teams a 2nd time is 23 rounds - whether you split rounds to stretch out weeks is the question from that.

So it works,

If you believe Gus and as a ch9 employee is likely to know. 60% of TV revenue comes from the Origin period. Sunday night didn't work for TV and if you want extra to fund the extra teams you need Origin to continue its earning potential.

That is where it becomes hard to keep everyone happy

Billythekid

First Grade
I know most on this forum don’t want to acknowledge its existence but the womens game is growing too. What’s happens when there is also 20 women’s teams having a full comp like the NRL?

We’re going to have 20 men’s teams, possibly 20 women’s teams plus SOO plus internationals plus finals.

I’m not saying we should or that it’s likely that the NRL could be shortened but I think the concerns about lack of content don’t quite hold up. As we continue to expand there is going to be an overwhelming amount of content that we need to consider how to fit in.

siv

First Grade
It would be great to see North Sydney back again,” Politis said.

“I have been pushing for this because Perth and the Bears would be a great combination.

“It will be a Western Australian team, we must remember that, but the Bears can play an important part and revive their brand which would be fantastic.”
He just wants the Bears off the Central Coast

Otherwise Easts are hemmed in

Perth Red

Post Whore
He just wants the Bears off the Central Coast

Otherwise Easts are hemmed in
yes there is def some self interest in his enthusiasm for this lol Im sure they ae eyeing up NS eventually being in Perth lock stock and barrel and Roosters claiming whats left of that area.

Latest posts