What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Nrl leads union on pay tv and just behind union on fta

yeh sky nz are going to pay less for the nrl rights with another team in it
Imagine if the Kiwis played 7 or 8 test games through the year, that could only help!

Gobsmacked

Bench
Yeah, but if the NRL shuns Sky, who do they go with.. TVNZ? Sure, probable uproar when the State owned broadcaster pays big money for it though... and they've been recently cost cutting.

Discovery/TV3? Nope - they just axed their whole newsroom to save money.

Let's be honest, unless some white-knight media outlet (streaming?) comes along or they do their OWN subscription streaming service for NZ, the NRL will take a cut in NZ broadcast revenue if they ditch Sky.

And Sky know it.
Sky aren't bidding against a network or the NRL, they have a price point of subscriptions.
It's an easy calculation for the NRL to know exactly what they are worth to Sky:
NRL viewing numbers multiplied by the subscription fee...
The negotiation point is simple what's a fair profit margin? The negotiation is already down to give or take a couple of million..
A second NZ team takes it to possibility realm and far harder to calculate. More in the 10's of millions.

The NZ market is by far the biggest potential for the NRL to grow.

MugaB

Coach
Assume they must pump the ads by gradually delaying the game …. Still … better than nothing if you are a tightwad RL fan living over there
You just described every kid that wants to watch RL, the more you put on free to air, the best chance of getting the next generation invested

Matiunz

Juniors
Maybe FTA might be a bit more interested this time?
FTA in NZ until recently with sky open(which is at sky’s mercy) was very rare to see a live game of either code, most would be 2 hours + delayed and with ads pushing the finish times pretty late. NZ doesn’t have the same laws Aus does around FTA on national broadcasters. I remember when I was a kid in the old decoder days I’d sometimes ‘watch’ the scrambled footage just so I could hear live commentary
Both the main FTA providers are in massive cost cutting mode it’d be hard to see them able to compete with sky.
The NRLs best alternative would be its own streaming service, Sky would loose viewers in droves if that happened

Wb1234

Referee
FTA in NZ until recently with sky open(which is at sky’s mercy) was very rare to see a live game of either code, most would be 2 hours + delayed and with ads pushing the finish times pretty late. NZ doesn’t have the same laws Aus does around FTA on national broadcasters. I remember when I was a kid in the old decoder days I’d sometimes ‘watch’ the scrambled footage just so I could hear live commentary
Both the main FTA providers are in massive cost cutting mode it’d be hard to see them able to compete with sky.
The NRLs best alternative would be its own streaming service, Sky would loose viewers in droves if that happened
They would only do an nz streaming service if they were doing one in Australia to absorb all the costs of it like production

Latest posts