What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Immortal
An uneven number of teams never lasts long.

NSWRL - 13 teams from 1984 to 1987 inclusive (4 seasons)
3 teams added in 1988

NRL - 17 teams in 1999 (1 season)
Competition downsized to 14 teams in 2000 as per peace settlement

NRL - 15 teams from 2002 to 2006 inclusive (5 seasons)
Gold Coast Titans added in 2007

NRL - 17 teams since 2023 (2 seasons & counting)
If this lasts for 5 seasons like before the Titans were added,
it'd be 2023-2027 inclusive & team 18 would debut 2028

Now, if you're thinking team 20 won't be until the late 2030s, that might mean team 19 doesnt happen until (say) 2032-ish, because if it's any earlier that's an unprecedented LONG time with an uneven competition size & weekly byes.
Team 19 is coming in 2028

team 20 might be 2030

Perth Red

Post Whore
An uneven number of teams never lasts long.

NSWRL - 13 teams from 1984 to 1987 inclusive (4 seasons)
3 teams added in 1988

NRL - 17 teams in 1999 (1 season)
Competition downsized to 14 teams in 2000 as per peace settlement

NRL - 15 teams from 2002 to 2006 inclusive (5 seasons)
Gold Coast Titans added in 2007

NRL - 17 teams since 2023 (2 seasons & counting)
If this lasts for 5 seasons like before the Titans were added,
it'd be 2023-2027 inclusive & team 18 would debut 2028

Now, if you're thinking team 20 won't be until the late 2030s, that might mean team 19 doesnt happen until (say) 2032-ish, because if it's any earlier that's an unprecedented LONG time with an uneven competition size & weekly byes.
I think they may put a 2/3 year gap between them to give the comp breathing space In recruitment

2027 club 18
2029 club 19
2031/32 club 20

flippikat

Bench
I think they may put a 2/3 year gap between them to give the comp breathing space In recruitment

2027 club 18
2029 club 19
2031/32 club 20
I think that makes a lot of sense, and would mean we gradually go from 16 to 20 teams over a decade (or just under).

That's a huge lesson learned from the "big bang" expansions of 1988 & (espcially) 1995 that seriously strained depth RIGHT AWAY. Staggering expansion allows depth to grow into the new clubs.

I imagine after 20 teams, there's likely to be a pause for stabilizing the competition & another look at expansion maybe towards the end of the 2030s.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Yeah, the "poor underpaid players" ... according to their managers who themselves would be getting a pay increase instead of the money going to juniors or grassroots, ect.
Just ask former Melbourne, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide AFL player Byron Pickett about that.

His manager pocketed most of his earnings during his AFL career while he's now living in hardship here in Adelaide.

He's only just taken legal action now after figuring it out after his young son asked him where all his money from his AFL career went.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think that makes a lot of sense, and would mean we gradually go from 16 to 20 teams over a decade (or just under).

That's a huge lesson learned from the "big bang" expansions of 1988 & (espcially) 1995 that seriously strained depth RIGHT AWAY. Staggering expansion allows depth to grow into the new clubs.

I imagine after 20 teams, there's likely to be a pause for stabilizing the competition & another look at expansion maybe towards the end of the 2030s.
Just hope nz2 don’t miss out to brisbane3, though I fear given how myopic nrl can be they might. The longer team 20 takes to come in the more possibility it’s brisbane3.

flippikat

Bench
Just hope nz2 don’t miss out to brisbane3, though I fear given how myopic nrl can be they might. The longer team 20 takes to come in the more possibility it’s brisbane3.
That's looking increasingly likely as this Jets bid gathers momentum.

They've seen how a cross-border heritage hook-up can work with the Western Bears, and are desperately keen to take the same path.

Gobsmacked

Bench
That's looking increasingly likely as this Jets bid gathers momentum.

They've seen how a cross-border heritage hook-up can work with the Western Bears, and are desperately keen to take the same path.
I just find all this " momentum " isn't actually real... the NRL hasn't said a thing about expansion or who favoured. This is all just media.

There's 11 or so bids on the NRL desk, they aren't getting their cue from the media! They are dealing with real numbers: money, fans, players, timeslots exc..
What we can do is look at those things that the NRL would be looking at and ALL those things...NZ 2 is a blindingly obvious choice.

The second biggest island in the Pacific with an affluent population of 1 million and 2 beautiful fully enclosed purpose built stadiums..with an appetite for Rugby league..

We'll see..