What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Matiunz

Juniors
There was a schoolboys level carnival featuring the best png talent

Not a single Aussie scout showed up

When the nz warriors entered the nrl not many Aussie clubs looked at nz juniors

Then when they made the gf in 2002 every club started looking in nz and now we have 23 percent of all nrl players are from nz

PNG will be the same
Aussie clubs have been recruiting in NZ Well before the Warriors came into the come, it started ramping up in the 80s and by 1990 there was on average 2 NZ first graders per NSWRL team.
The Auckland rep team would regularly get scalps against preseason NSWRL teams as well as the odd touring team and the advent of the Warriors was to provide a local team for those players to try and retain that local talent- hasn’t really worked out that way unfortunately. Sadly the advent of the Warriors and the increase of professionalism in Aus lower leagues has left behind the Auckland club scene a bit.
Coupled with the rise of immigration to Aus of many NZers also ramping up in the 80s on there are plenty of kids to NZ parents being exposed to Aus systems has helped increase the standard.

Wb1234

Immortal
Aussie clubs have been recruiting in NZ Well before the Warriors came into the come, it started ramping up in the 80s and by 1990 there was on average 2 NZ first graders per NSWRL team.
The Auckland rep team would regularly get scalps against preseason NSWRL teams as well as the odd touring team and the advent of the Warriors was to provide a local team for those players to try and retain that local talent- hasn’t really worked out that way unfortunately. Sadly the advent of the Warriors and the increase of professionalism in Aus lower leagues has left behind the Auckland club scene a bit.
Coupled with the rise of immigration to Aus of many NZers also ramping up in the 80s on there are plenty of kids to NZ parents being exposed to Aus systems has helped increase the standard.
Yeh but post 2002 Aussie clubs activity went though the roof in terms of scouts

It’s not just nz migration to oz it’s clubs scouting players and offering them a place in Australian schools (pretty sure sbw and Benji were poached like that)

Iamback

Coach
I doubt it … There are more than 160 players in the NRL who were born in NZ….

I would be happy if the PNG number could get to 50 down the track …that would be a major success

To be faIr that list is flawed. A vast majority of the list would be like Foran.

He was born in NZ, went to primary school here so was developed in the NRL system.

Wb1234

Immortal
well… bookmark it and tell me when it happens …I suspect we will be waiting as long as AFL old mate who wants his game to be No 1 in NSW
You’re entitled to your opinion

I just think you are totally wrong on this

PNG kids playing against the best Aussie talent each week will be a game changer as having Harold Matt’s up to reserve grade will provide

BuffaloRules

Coach
In theory if you can bring the same systems the rest of the NRL world gets, Then why would PNG players not improve their standard?

This is the whole issue we are debating … how long this will take when they are starting from basically nothing and with a proven record of not being able to currently produce NRL standard talent … you are optimistic about this time frame changing quickly ..others less so …

But no one can be certain today how long this will take

Iamback

Coach
This is the whole issue we are debating … how long this will take when they are starting from basically nothing and with a proven record of not being able to currently produce NRL standard talent … you are optimistic about this time frame changing quickly ..others less so …

But no one can be certain today how long this will take

No. I just said it started in 2023 so 10 years puts it at 2033.

As opposed to Perth who haven't started but come in sooner they are more a concern for me

Although we aren't looking at zero being in place already. So that puts them in a better starting point over the likes of Storm in 1998 and some other clubs

BuffaloRules

Coach
No. I just said it started in 2023 so 10 years puts it at 2033.

As opposed to Perth who haven't started but come in sooner they are more a concern for me

Although we aren't looking at zero being in place already. So that puts them in a better starting point over the likes of Storm in 1998 and some other clubs

they have inadequate training facilities, sports science involvement and limited Australian coaches and training staff …they are well behind Perth …

Iamback

Coach
they have inadequate training facilities, sports science involvement and limited Australian coaches and training staff …they are well behind Perth …

They are currently playing in a 2nd tier comp and several locals will play test footy and against the PM XIII.

That is behind a side with nothing in place yet?

BuffaloRules

Coach
They are currently playing in a 2nd tier comp and several locals will play test footy and against the PM XIII.

That is behind a side with nothing in place yet?

How many NRL players have they produced who have played in that 2nd tier comp and for the national team ? these have been around for some time right?

BuffaloRules

Coach
By their recent teams. Guys in there have been named in Origin squads. Joey Manu, Dylan Brown a few others have won Harold Matts or SG Ball with NRL clubs

Thats not a “vast majority “ though .… neither of us know the answer without looking at the whole list which I doubt either of us has done

Iamback

Coach
How many NRL players have they produced who have played in that 2nd tier comp and for the national team ? these have been around for some time right?

We are going around in circles here

There were no development pathways in place, They have that as of last year and the QCup team had a vast improvement.

I am not arguing Perth will have better facilities BUT atm none of that is in place.

This is despite rumoured to be 2 years from starting a pre season

BuffaloRules

Coach
We are going around in circles here

There were no development pathways in place, They have that as of last year and the QCup team had a vast improvement.

I am not arguing Perth will have better facilities BUT atm none of that is in place.

This is despite rumoured to be 2 years from starting a pre season

The Hunters won the comp previously …about a decade ago …

Billythekid

First Grade
Having an NRL team opens up all new doors for PNG based players that wasn’t there before. I don’t think we’ll see an influx quite like what we’ve seen with islander players but I’ve got no doubt that a PNG team will very quickly start producing talent. They’ve always had the playing numbers but having a pro team and access to the sort of money that comes with that will be a game changer.

Personally I am very pro Perth and would have had them in next but if there is one area I’m very confident PNG will be better for its producing NRL talent.