What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Gobsmacked

Bench
I live here now and have sponsored multiple junior clubs therefore as a perk get free tickets or corporate boxes to Suncorp and at times Gabba mainly due to cricket. Plenty of fans around. Nothing like Broncos, never was a comparison or will be a comparison but when Roar or Reds or Lions were doing well Suncorp and Gabba was much fuller than when those sides suck.

I don’t understand the attempted argument here considering Brisbane wants to be a town where all their sporting sides are competitive and well supported.

Brisbane-ites back a winner and disappear when they become losers.
I actually don't even understand your point. Yes there’s more support when there’s success- exciting insight !
You go to the Gabba and the Lions club.. makes you think that the Lions are a thing.. they're not.

Iamback

Coach
1965 and 1994 😉

If the NRL had any credibility as a NATIONAL governing body the Dolphins' two first grade premierships are just as legitimate as the Bears' two from 1920 and 1921 when they were playing in cow paddocks

They have to confirm the make up of the Perth Bears to see if they take those 2 with them.

The comp is the same comp, Just has added new teams. No issue with Balmain etc on there

I actually don't even understand your point. Yes there’s more support when there’s success- exciting insight !
You go to the Gabba and the Lions club.. makes you think that the Lions are a thing.. they're not.
Point is the sport is a thing here. It’s not the biggest but it also never claimed to be. But to say no one cares for it is wrong, regardless of if it’s a shit sport or not. I say this with supreme confidence because my network stretches much further than some bloke who lived in a city for only 4 years or another bloke who doesn’t even know that the biggest local sports club in the very suburb he lives in is the very sport he says isn’t a thing.

In short from a general life and a business point of view I mingle with a shitload of people and can say a lot of them barrack for the sport you blokes say isn’t a thing. A lot of them are rugby league fans first and foremost but that doesn’t mean they don’t support other local sports clubs especially when said clubs are winning including bounce ball. For the record it’s not my jam either but to insinuate it’s not a thing here in Brisbane especially after they just won a GF is completely and utterly incorrect.

You simply decided to add your 2 cents half way through a debate without reading the initial post or reply to.

It isn’t that deep. It’s very easy to understand.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
Point is the sport is a thing here. It’s not the biggest but it also never claimed to be. But to say no one cares for it is wrong, regardless of if it’s a shit sport or not. I say this with supreme confidence because my network stretches much further than some bloke who lived in a city for only 4 years or another bloke who doesn’t even know that the biggest local sports club in the very suburb he lives in is the very sport he says isn’t a thing.

In short from a general life and a business point of view I mingle with a shitload of people and can say a lot of them barrack for the sport you blokes say isn’t a thing. A lot of them are rugby league fans first and foremost but that doesn’t mean they don’t support other local sports clubs especially when said clubs are winning including bounce ball. For the record it’s not my jam either but to insinuate it’s not a thing here in Brisbane especially after they just won a GF is completely and utterly incorrect.

You simply decided to add your 2 cents half way through a debate without reading the initial post or reply to.

It isn’t that deep. It’s very easy to understand.
Whatever pal

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You keep believing in your fairy tales buddy whilst being scared of the invisible monster. It’s a thing and it’s got its supporters. These people exist whether you like it or not. For the most part a lot of them are Broncos fans as well.

The irony is that the biggest local sports clubs in Mt Gravatt (your area) is the Vultures (afl) followed by Hawks (soccer). Shows how much you actually know about your own city and the support various clubs and sports here have.

Says the people who live here and have a sense of local pride. When the local teams are winning they show up, doesn’t matter the sport. However when teams suck that’s when only true supporters stick around and for the most part that’s Rugby League but even then it’s not 100% immune.
AFL contra at work. No one gives a f**k about AFL here. Check the TV ratings

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They have to confirm the make up of the Perth Bears to see if they take those 2 with them.

The comp is the same comp, Just has added new teams. No issue with Balmain etc on there
I mean the North Sydney Bears, not even referring to their Perth iteration . If their first grade premierships count from 1920 & 21, then the Dolphins legitimate first grade comps from 1965 and 1994 count.

The ARL and later National Rugby League was formed to represent the whole country, not just the NSWRL.

AFL contra at work. No one gives a f**k about AFL here. Check the TV ratings
NRL TV ratings are flying.

But you said that AFL isn’t a thing in Brisbane and I said you’re wrong. This was never about which code is more supported so don’t try to change the point of the topic which you brought up by saying it isn’t a thing here.

Lions (36,000) & Suns (21,000) combined average crowd is 57,000.

Broncos (39,875) & Titans (16,240) combined average is 56,115.

However when you add Dolphins (23,940) into the mix that’s when the RL average sky rockets to 80,055. Much higher than AFL.

Like I said, Brisbane-ites turn up to see local clubs when they’re going well. Considering the difference is only 4,000 between Lions and Broncos in 2024 proves this. Once Broncos play abit better I’m sure their average will rise to above 42,000 and conversely when Lions drop back down their average will dip below 30,000.

But right here, right now. It’s a thing and whatever you think, it doesn’t matter because you’re factually wrong. If it wasn’t a thing wtf would 36,000 people on average turn up to Lions games or almost half a million in Brisbane region tune in for the GF?

It’s a thing mate, like it or loath it who gives a f**k. That’s all I’m trying to say to you, it was never a code vs code debate. It’s more a don’t talk nonsense debate.

Lastly, considering you clearly don’t even know what local suburban sports clubs are in the very suburb you live in. If you have kids, maybe you can consider signing them up to Easts Mt Gravatt Eagles JRL. They need players. At the moment Hawks Soccer and Vultures AFL are taking on juniors in droves.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
NRL TV ratings are flying.

But you said that AFL isn’t a thing in Brisbane and I said you’re wrong. This was never about which code is more supported so don’t try to change the point of the topic which you brought up by saying it isn’t a thing here.

Lions (36,000) & Suns (21,000) combined average crowd is 57,000.

Broncos (39,875) & Titans (16,240) combined average is 56,115.

However when you add Dolphins (23,940) into the mix that’s when the RL average sky rockets to 80,055. Much higher than AFL.

Like I said, Brisbane-ites turn up to see local clubs when they’re going well. Considering the difference is only 4,000 between Lions and Broncos in 2024 proves this. Once Broncos play abit better I’m sure their average will rise to above 42,000 and conversely when Lions drop back down their average will dip below 30,000.

But right here, right now. It’s a thing and whatever you think, it doesn’t matter because you’re factually wrong. If it wasn’t a thing wtf would 36,000 people on average turn up to Lions games or almost half a million in Brisbane region tune in for the GF?

It’s a thing mate, like it or loath it who gives a f**k. That’s all I’m trying to say to you, it was never a code vs code debate. It’s more a don’t talk nonsense debate.

Lastly, considering you clearly don’t even know what local suburban sports clubs are in the very suburb you live in. If you have kids, maybe you can consider signing them up to Easts Mt Gravatt Eagles JRL. They need players. At the moment Hawks Soccer and Vultures AFL are taking on juniors in droves.

Those AFL averages are way off. Lions averaged 29,045. Suns averaged 15,063.

Those include out of town home games so I’ll refine that to be fair to AFL. Lions averaged 30,864 from 11 games in Brisbane, Suns averaged 16,919 from 9 games on the Coast.

Last edited: