What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19-man Kiwi squad named

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz//4220821a1823.html

Fresh-faced Kiwis squad named
Monday, 1 October 2007

Seven uncapped players including two with the name Jeremy Smith have been named in a fresh-faced Kiwis squad for this month's Centenary Test against Australia.

New coach Gary Kemble's 19-man squad for the one-off rugby league test in Wellington on October 14 is dotted with exciting youngsters including St George-Illawarra teenager Chase Stanley, nephew of All Black Joe Stanley, and powerful Wests Tigers centre-wing Taniela Tuiaki.

The other newcomers are Melbourne interchange forward Jeff Lima, Parramatta prop Fuifui Moimoi, Cronulla's goalkicking wing Luke Covell, and the two Smiths.

Christchurch-born Melbourne Storm second rower Jeremy Smith, 27, was rewarded for his strong season with the National Rugby League minor premier while his Huntly-born South Sydney namesake, 26, will partner the Bulldogs' Ben Roberts in the halves.

Prop Roy Asotasi, who led the Kiwis for the first time in the Anzac test loss to the Kangaroos in April, retained the captaincy.

Injuries dealt Kemble a tough hand in the selection lead-up, with veteran prop Nathan Cayless the latest to be ruled out at the weekend.

Others unavailable because of injury, who played against the Kangaroos in April, were five-eighth Benji Marshall (shoulder), second rower Sonny Bill Williams (broken arm), centre Iosia Soliola (knee) and wing Manu Vatuvei (knee).

Kiwis squad:- Backs: Krisnan Inu (Parramatta), Luke Covell (Cronulla), Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers), Chase Stanley (St George-Illawarra), Shontayne Hape (Bradford), Paul Whatuira (Wests Tigers), Simon Mannering (Warriors), Steve Matai (Manly), Ben Roberts (Bulldogs), Jeremy Smith (South Sydney).

Forwards: Roy Asotasi (captain, South Sydney), Jeff Lima (Melbourne), Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta), Sam Rapira (Warriors), David Faiumu (North Queensland), Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers), Louis Anderson (Warriors), Frank Pritchard (Penrith), Jeremy Smith (Melbourne).

thats fairly disappointing in parts. I assume Inu will be playing Full Back with Covell on the wing. Anderson ?!??!?!

Soo... More than likely:

1. Inu
2. Tuiaki
3. Matai
4. Whatuira
5. Covell
6. Roberts
7. Smith
8. Asotasi
9. Faiumu
10. Rapira
11. Mannering
12. Pritchard
13. Smith

14. Halatau
15. MoiMoi
16. Lima
17. Anderson

Dropping out : Stanley & Hape ?

Fingers crossed it Covell and Whatuira that go.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
thats fairly disappointing in parts. I assume Inu will be playing Full Back with Covell on the wing. Anderson ?!??!?!

Yeap how sad we have to pick covell. Surely we could of picked Inu on the Wing and went with Sam Perrett at fullback.

Dont Need two kickers - Im Pretty sure Inu is a better kicker than covell.

Hape - he has only played one game after coming back from broken leg

Matai is out - making it a 18 man squad and still pending moimoi and tuiaki on the meeting tomorrow. Hopefully throw in Rangi or Perrett.

Also no backrowers off the bench - moimoi, asotasi, rapira and lima - a good prop rotation but pretty immobile??.

dont believe Mannering deserves to be in top 17.

Halatau has been super ordinary this year especially at hooker when farah was moved to halfback.

Anderson??? - thats a big call, it could backfire and if it does I hope they have the balls to not take him on tour and not to kill the chances of a youngster like Teo, B'coz reallistically are they ever gonna call his ass up again from england = no.

So whats that 7 more players (9 if tuiaki and moimoi are out) to go on tour:

1. Rangi Chase
2. Bronson Harrison
3. Sam Perret
4. Ben Teo
5. David Kidwell
6. Isaac Luke
7. Thomas Leulauai

(8) Vuna/Webster/Tupou/Utai
(9) Tuimavave

Team better be up for a big game - or else they will get absolutely smashed.

Possible team:
1. Inu
2. Tuiaki
3. Mannering /Hape
4. Whatuira
5. Covell
6. Roberts
7. Smith
8. Asotasi
9. Halatau
10. Rapira
11. Smith
12. Pritchard
13. Mannering / Hape

14. Faiumu
15. MoiMoi
16. Lima
17. Anderson

Crossing my finger Webb or Perret are called in for fullback and put inu back on the wing and covell back to australia- PLEASE.

Ok, Well my best scenario would be :

1. Inu
2. Tuiaki
3. Hape
4. Matai
5. Stanley
6. Roberts
7. Smith
8. Asotasi
9. Halatau
10. Rapira
11. Smith
12. Pritchard
13. Mannering

With Whatuira and Covell dropping out.

14. Faiumu
15. MoiMoi
16. Lima
17. Anderson

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
Ok, Well my best scenario would be :

1. Inu
2. Tuiaki
3. Hape
4. Matai
5. Stanley
6. Roberts
7. Smith
8. Asotasi
9. Halatau
10. Rapira
11. Smith
12. Pritchard
13. Mannering

With Whatuira and Covell dropping out.

14. Faiumu
15. MoiMoi
16. Lima
17. Anderson

Matai - is definetly out - booked in for surgery on some bulging disc(s).
But like that covell dropping out - if not might have to cancel my ticket to wellington.

hey at least we got rid of one ausse in fien. Hopefully the other squad members are thrown into the training camp so they might have a chance of making the side for the wellington test.

Whatuira - will be playing infront of his home crowd - he's up for a big one.

The New Zealand Warriors have 3 players represented in what I believe a fairly weak Kiwis team.

What does that say about the state of play at the Warriors ?. Especially as one of the players is leaving in Anderson. And yes I know Manu Vatuvei and Jerome Ropati are injured.

Since the Warriors were born we have been pumped about how they will strengthen the Kiwis team. Has it worked ? Is it working ?

P.S ....... This is not a knock at the Warriors just a question

Interested in your guys replys.

mean_maori_mean said:
Crossing my finger Webb or Perret are called in for fullback and put inu back on the wing and covell back to australia- PLEASE.

But instead we havent picked a fullback and are no expecting Inu to do the job again and effectively take him away from the position (wing) that he has excelled in all year.

mean_maori_mean said:
Matai - is definetly out - booked in for surgery on some bulging disc(s).
But like that covell dropping out - if not might have to cancel my ticket to wellington.

hey at least we got rid of one ausse in fien. Hopefully the other squad members are thrown into the training camp so they might have a chance of making the side for the wellington test.

Whatuira - will be playing infront of his home crowd - he's up for a big one.

Had read that Matai will delay surgery to play, but I guess at the end of the day he will have little say. So.. lets say Matai drops out - will they replace him in the 19 ?

RLIF

Juniors
This has to be the worst Kiwis side named for memory...Where is Isaac Luke?? What the hell is Luke Covell doing in there!!!!!!!!!!

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
Had read that Matai will delay surgery to play, but I guess at the end of the day he will have little say. So.. lets say Matai drops out - will they replace him in the 19 ?

hopefully they replace him with Perrett I guess - he could push for a spot anywhere in the backline considering he played fair amounts of football at wing/fullback/centre.

Im sure the rest of the squad will be named this week aswell.

If not bring chase in as non-playing reserve with most likely stanley.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Paul Whatuira :x , I seriously have never rated the guy. He just dosent spark any brilliance and is well ....SOFT!!

Louis Anderson, WTF?!?!

Luke Covell :crazy:

Not the best looking Kiwi squad id have to say fellas. Id have to go with this team:

Inu
Tuiaki
Hape
Whatuira (FFS)
Stanley
Roberts
Smith
Rapira
Faiumu
Asotasi
Pritchard
Mannering
Smith

Halatau
Anderson :x
Moi Moi
Lima

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
KiWi_BoI_15 said:
Paul Whatuira :x , I seriously have never rated the guy. He just dosent spark any brilliance and is well ....SOFT!!

Louis Anderson, WTF?!?!

Luke Covell :crazy:

Not the best looking Kiwi squad id have to say fellas. Id have to go with this team:

Inu
Tuiaki
Hape
Whatuira (FFS)
Stanley
Roberts
Smith
Rapira
Faiumu
Asotasi
Pritchard
Mannering
Smith

Halatau
Anderson :x
Moi Moi
Lima

Whatuira aint soft - never rated him - he's a got a pretty good try scoring record and two premiership rings. Not a good season though.

Is mannering going to get a free pass every test - rewarding mediocrity with him and anderson.
I guess they have to pick some warriors or else it would look to bad.

Skinner

Coach
NIGHTMARE-HITTER said:
The New Zealand Warriors have 3 players represented in what I believe a fairly weak Kiwis team.

What does that say about the state of play at the Warriors ?. Especially as one of the players is leaving in Anderson. And yes I know Manu Vatuvei and Jerome Ropati are injured.

Since the Warriors were born we have been pumped about how they will strengthen the Kiwis team. Has it worked ? Is it working ?

P.S ....... This is not a knock at the Warriors just a question

Interested in your guys replys.

It may say more about the number of Australian players at the Warriors, particularly
in key positions.

Blaze

Juniors
No Perrett and Issac Luke is poor imo.

I would have liked to have seen Rangi Chase there as well.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
mean_maori_mean said:
Whatuira aint soft - never rated him - he's a got a pretty good try scoring record and two premiership rings. Not a good season though.

Is mannering going to get a free pass every test - rewarding mediocrity with him and anderson.
I guess they have to pick some warriors or else it would look to bad.

Well everytime i watch Whatuira he seems to give himself up in tackles too easily, and dosent fight for any metres. Hopefully Matai gets up for the test.

I agree with you about Mannering and Anderson. I would rather have had Te'o and Harrison in there.

Firstly i want to say congradulations to Lima and Jeremy Smith (storm) on playing their way in and both had good games last night

Secondly i want to say this is a piss weak team thats going to get ripped apart from the aussies

6 newcomers and Covell FFS. Hope he is the 19th man. Halatau is sh*t at test level so waste of time having him there.

I cant beleive this team

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
ozbash said:
fantastic team. they all travel on a NZ passport !!

us by 40

no way they all travel on kiwi passports:

I seriously doubt roberts or covell do. Both make the team b'coz one of their parents is NZ born.
Roberts mum is from otara - hopefully she is born in NZ - havent heard anything some have suggested that she was purely a NZ resident.

Pritchard unlikely aswell.

Wouldnt be suprised if moimoi travels on tongan passport.

Hopefully if Roberts and Smith are complete sh*t that they leave they drop them off in aussie on the way to the UK and play chase and co.

Ditto with anderson - oh wait we can give him a free ride to warrington if he wants.

As long as:
Rangi Chase, Isaac Luke, Bronson Harrison and ben teo are in the squad. They are the future of the kiwis IMO.

mean_maori_mean said:
no way they all travel on kiwi passports:

I seriously doubt roberts or covell do. Both make the team b'coz one of their parents is NZ born.
Roberts mum is from otara - hopefully she is born in NZ - havent heard anything some have suggested that she was purely a NZ resident.

Pritchard unlikely aswell.

Wouldnt be suprised if moimoi travels on tongan passport.

Hopefully if Roberts and Smith are complete sh*t that they leave they drop them off in aussie on the way to the UK and play chase and co.

Ditto with anderson - oh wait we can give him a free ride to warrington if he wants.

As long as:
Rangi Chase, Isaac Luke, Bronson Harrison and ben teo are in the squad. They are the future of the kiwis IMO.

Out of the selections Roberts probably worries me the least. I know he's flakey and inexperienced - but atleast I know he has potential and will get better.

Anderson and Covell on the other hand ....

Look at the end of the day im disappointed, especially by the absence of Perret, meaning Inu has to go to the back and probably covell to the wing - but all is not lost if we bring some of these youngsters over with us to the UK. If we don't - then ill start getting crabby.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
mmmmmmm....wel well well what have we here

the team pretty much picks its self due to injured players except covell...bro as a kick Inu is better, as a winger well lets not go there. So why in there right mind would the selectors pick him? and Ando i dunno about him either.

this should be the team

1. Inu
2. Tuiaki
3. Matai (if playing)
4. Whatuira
5. Stanley
6. Roberts
7. Smith
8. Asotasi
9. Halatau
10. Rapira
11. Smith