What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19-man Kiwi squad named

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
The all golds game is 6 days after the wellington test - October 20th. Players who played in the test will most likely not play in that game.

But at the same time they dont want too many youngsters - who in england will be unknowns - after all it is a exhibition game.
Which means their will be heaps of english based players.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
when does that squad get named ?

Not sure - but im guessing some players have already been told that they are in - just in case they fly off on Holiday.

They might fly them straight there to get ready - I just hope they dont fill the all golds team with has beens who have pledged themelves to samoa i.e most of the kiwis playing in the ESL.
Im sure some of the nrl kiwis would be willing to pay there own flight to play.

ESL players purely to make up number for all golds:
Harrison Hansen
Tame Tupou
Vinnie Anderson
Stacey Jones etc

mean_maori_mean said:
Not sure - but im guessing some players have already been told that they are in - just in case they fly off on Holiday.

They might fly them straight there to get ready - I just hope they dont fill the all golds team with has beens who have pledged themelves to samoa i.e most of the kiwis playing in the ESL.
Im sure some of the nrl kiwis would be willing to pay there own flight to play.

ESL players purely to make up number for all golds:
Harrison Hansen
Tame Tupou
Vinnie Anderson
Stacey Jones etc

+ Talau, Feka etc.

For gods sake bring some of our young NRL talent over !!!!

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
+ Talau, Feka etc.

For gods sake bring some of our young NRL talent over !!!!

eww, no thanks - those guys have already expressed interest in playing for samoa - well according to solomona.

So please dont pick meli, faafili, lautitii, feka, talau, kylie leulauai etc.

They must be waiting on to see if moimoi and tuiaki - get cleared by the RLIF.

Hape - one game back from a serious leg injury, would do it hard playing on the wing.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
Have you seen smith play recently? oh when he is not playing reserve grade he is also sh*t. Well not sh*t but not any good.

Get your facts right

Why were Paea and Joe Williams playing in the reggies GF yesterday but not Smith?? Because Paea and Williams (who you recently claimed was a first grader while Smith wasn't) played plenty of PL this season, while Smith played almost a full season in first grade.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
What an awful squad

How on earth did Sam Perrett not make it? It almost makes me wonder if the selectors didn't realise he was a Kiwi.

Thierry Henry said:
What an awful squad

How on earth did Sam Perrett not make it? It almost makes me wonder if the selectors didn't realise he was a Kiwi.

Which would contradict his naming in the Train-on squad. But how can you pick Perrett, when you have to make room for the one and only Covell??

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Get your facts right

Why were Paea and Joe Williams playing in the reggies GF yesterday but not Smith?? Because Paea and Williams (who you recently claimed was a first grader while Smith wasn't) played plenty of PL this season, while Smith played almost a full season in first grade.

get my facts right.

What I said is that Williams has been their halfback despite wearing the no. 6 for the weeks leading up to the finals - was essentially the souths halfback. Who was the playmaker? Who did all the kicking??

Smith started off at no. 6 and spent a few weeks in reserve grade then after paea was injured for a week he came back into the side but didnt do anything great.

Also might point is most likely he wont be playing halfback next season for souths:
They have said they signed wing to play half, plus they have paea who is essenitally better than smith.
So we might be blooding him for nothing.

Smith has put his hands up (through PR) just about every year.

mean

Juniors
I suggest everyone makes their views known on this forum as I think Kemble secretly visits this site to see what us experts think.

He must do, as I said that Fein and Kidwell shouldn't be in the team!

Now I agree with most and think that Perret would've been a great addition, Gary!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
get my facts right.

What I said is that Williams has been their halfback despite wearing the no. 6 for the weeks leading up to the finals - was essentially the souths halfback. Who was the playmaker? Who did all the kicking??

Smith started off at no. 6 and spent a few weeks in reserve grade then after paea was injured for a week he came back into the side but didnt do anything great.

Also might point is most likely he wont be playing halfback next season for souths:
They have said they signed wing to play half, plus they have paea who is essenitally better than smith.
So we might be blooding him for nothing.

Smith has put his hands up (through PR) just about every year.

Smith played first grade almost all year whereas Williams and Paea played plenty of PL, which goes to show that Smith was more highly regarded at the club over the course of 2007

btw :oops: on my Perrett comments, lol

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The whole backline would fit together so much better if Perrett was selected, this would enable Inu to shift to wing/centre and then we wouldn't be left a winger short and having to select Covell.

I just hope, ffs, that Covell isn't picked

Inu
Tuiaki
Whatuira
Matai
Hape

is still a decent backline

Smith played a lot of FG this year because Williams was flakey and Paea wasnt ready. With Wing coming over next year and Paea no doubt getting better, Smith will struggle to play a lot at halfback next year.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Smith played first grade almost all year whereas Williams and Paea played plenty of PL, which goes to show that Smith was more highly regarded at the club over the course of 2007

btw :oops: on my Perrett comments, lol

did you not read what I wrote, I see Mixmaster reece just schooled you.

also I suggested they might go for T.L at half - well Wigan made it through to the semi which essentially put him out of contention.

So if smith is sh*t - they'll bring in thomas or move roberts to half and play rangi chase at no.6

I reckon Chase un-orthodox styles will rip the poms apart - they wont know what to expect.

JB

Juniors
Could actually see them start Roy in the 2nd row then replace Raps at prop then bring pritchard on.

Inu
Tuiaki
Whatuira
Mannering
Stanley
Roberts
Smith
Moimoi
Halatau
Rapira
Asotasi
Smith
Anderson

Lima
Pritchard
Hape
Faiumu

FFS if Covell plays and it comes down to a straight sprint.... i'm putting my money on Pricey.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
The whole backline would fit together so much better if Perrett was selected, this would enable Inu to shift to wing/centre and then we wouldn't be left a winger short and having to select Covell.

I just hope, ffs, that Covell isn't picked

Inu
Tuiaki
Whatuira
Matai
Hape

is still a decent backline

Hape - he was out for most of the season around 20 or so rounds and you want to put him on the wing - a position he probably is to slow for now anyway. though that didnt stop them naming covell.

He came back in time for finals - so who knows how fit he is anyway - why bring him back, it contradicts there recent behaviour in regards to bringing back ESL players.

Blaze

Juniors
mean_maori_mean said:
also I suggested they might go for T.L at half - well Wigan made it through to the semi which essentially put him out of contention.

So if smith is sh*t - they'll bring in thomas or move roberts to half and play rangi chase at no.6

The fact that you consider Thomas Leuaui as an option gives you 0 credibility.

His kicking game isn't even bartercard cup standard...

mean_maori_mean said:
Hape - he was out for most of the season around 20 or so rounds and you want to put him on the wing - a position he probably is to slow for now anyway. though that didnt stop them naming covell.

He came back in time for finals - so who knows how fit he is anyway - why bring him back, it contradicts there recent behaviour in regards to bringing back ESL players.

Hape is fit. He scored the match winner in his comeback game and looked fine in the finals game that Bradford played.

He is our best outside back. Of course he is going to be picked, regardless of what competition he plays in.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Blaze said:
The fact that you consider Thomas Leuaui as an option gives you 0 credibility.

His kicking game isn't even bartercard cup standard...

The fact that 'I' consider T.L - I have no credibility - your kidding me right - ask Kemble or any of the selectors how close he would have come if Wigan lost this weekend or last weekend.

Smith - does he even kick.

Yes T.L - aint a world beater but neither is smith. But TL plays HB everyweek has played over 70 top class games - and has led NZ to victory before.

Blaze said:
Hape is fit. He scored the match winner in his comeback game and looked fine in the finals game that Bradford played.

He is our best outside back. Of course he is going to be picked, regardless of what competition he plays in.

He looked fine - So he because he played two games after missing 20 weeks of footy - there now way he is fully fit.

What are you on about?? I said he shouldnt be picked on the wing - and with not many forwards named in the 19 - he will probably play lock anyway.

I actually quite like Covell as a player and don't think he'll disgrace himself if he plays, but his selection seems a bit unnecessary with Inu in the squad who can kick goals. I'd have definitely preferred to see Perrett at fullback with Inu on the wing. I've disappointed that either Luke or Fein didn't make the team as well, I rate both Faiumu and Halatau (though Halatau has seemed a little off form) but neither are terribly creative hookers. It's a shame that we've never really found a top line replacement for Richard Swain there.

I'd go for:
1: Krisnan Inu
2: Taniela Tuiaki
3: Steve Matai
4: Simon Mannering
5: Luke Covell
6: Ben Roberts
7: Jeremy Smith
8: Roy Asotasi
9: Dene Halatau
10: Sam Rapira
11: Frank Pritchard
12: Louis Anderson
13: Shontayne Hape

14: David Faiumu
15: Jeff Lima
16: Fuifui Moimoi
17: Jeremy Smith

Playing Hape at lock might be a bit of an ask with him just coming back from injury, so if he doesn't seem up to that I guess I'd switch him to centre, bring Smith into the starting team and move Mannering to the bench. The team formation could move around a fair bit during the game really, with Mannering, Tuiaki, and Hape all capable of playing in both the forwards and the backline.

Whatuira can move into the team if Matai is ruled out. It's probably worth mentioning that I haven't watched very many Dragons games and can't actually remember seeing Stanley play, so that's why I picked Covell ahead of him.

I must say that I still don't understand why Koopu doesn't get a look in if he doesn't have some injury I don't know about. With the team we've got I'd be quite happy to see him in the forward pack.

And just for a bit of positivity I'll post a possible team at full strength next year. Just because I don't feel as positive as I might about our chances against the aussies. :)

1: Sam Perrett
2: Manu Vatuvei
3: Steve Matai
4: Shontayne Hape
5: Krisnan Inu
6: Jerome Ropati
7: Benji Marshall
8: Roy Asotasi
9: Isaac Luke
10: Nathan Cayless
11: Frank Pritchard
12: David Kidwell
13: Sonny Bill Williams

14: David Faiumu
15: Taniela Tuiaki
16: Sam Rapira
17: David Fa'alogo

That's very quick and off the top of my head so I'm sure improvements can be made, but I think that would look pretty good. All the Ropati at 6 haters will be pleased to know that I'd be happy to shift him to centre in place of Matai if Roberts or Chase kick on next year. ;)