What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1921-2003 = 83 seasons and 15 premierships

Anonymous

Juniors
Congratulations daleyisicon, that was the longest opiniated paragraph we've ever had.
Interesting though... the longer the sentence, the more bullshit.

There's a rule of thumb... he who tries to put all his thoughts into one block of words is trying to cover up the shortcomings of his argument.

Mate, it doesnt work on the footy field.. and it doesnt work on the debating field either. What happens is that you get pole-axed in the back play.

DaleyIsGod said:
I love the elitist attitude of you Saints fans. Just cos you won a bunch of premierships back when the Beatles were big, you think you can carry on like you're Rugby League royalty
LOL. You mean that we are proud we have nothing to prove.

DaleyIsGod said:
We may not of won a title in 9 years but hey at least It's on the horizon for us.
Godammit, I keep forgetting.. its not about Saints at all.. its all about some other club... :lol: :lol: How could I be so blind to forget that fact.
OK kiddo, I'll indulge your pathetic argument... answer this question... which horizon are we talking about? When will the Raiders next win a premiership or be in a grand final? :lol:
DaleyIsGod said:
We even have a great shot at winning it next year...
If you dont mind, I'm just putting that one in the 'forummers likely not be so cocky Sept 2004' file.
DaleyIsGod said:
I wonder what Johnny Raper, Norm Provan, Reg Gasnier, Graeme Langlands and the rest think about the current team... They'd be pretty ashamed of them probably.
Hmmm... this is a low point for you. I can only go on personal meetings, historical quotes and interviews... I'd say they would rather not pass any negative judgement on any player in any team... and they'd probably think you're a complete dickhead.
How dare you suggest these men would be ashamed of any honest rugby league player... a disgusting assertion.

Tee-hee looks like I put a bit of wind in the willows. :D

Willow said:
There's a rule of thumb... he who tries to put all his thoughts into one block of words is trying to cover up the shortcomings of his argument.

Oh geez mate you're really splitting hairs there. I don't care about indenting my damn paragraphs for you. This aint English class. LOL whogivesashit?

Willow said:
Mate, it doesnt work on the footy field.. and it doesnt work on the debating field either. What happens is that you get pole-axed in the back play.

LOL :?

Willow said:
LOL. You mean that we are proud we have nothing to prove.

You have plenty to prove next season. Well your team does anyway.

Willow said:
When will the Raiders next win a premiership or be in a grand final? :lol:

Before you. :D

Willow said:
If you dont mind, I'm just putting that one in the 'forummers likely not be so cocky Sept 2004' file.

Go for it.

Willow said:
Hmmm... this is a low point for you. I can only go on personal meetings, historical quotes and interviews... I'd say they would rather not pass any negative judgement on any player in any team... and they'd probably think you're a complete dickhead.
How dare you suggest these men would be ashamed of any honest rugby league player... a disgusting assertion

That was a joke. Very tongue in cheek. However, ask Raper what he thinks about Mundine. Im sure he'd be happy to pass judgement on him. I also have an old league week with showcasing an old article 'from the archives' style, written by Raper during his time as Cronulla coach, and he was bagging the shit out of his own team. I think the title of the article was "My stars make me suicidal" or something like that.
Edit: I've found it. And it also has an article from another Saints legend Ian Walsh while he was coaching parra in 72. Here's a sample:

"You're a gutless bunch Parramatta. I am ashamed to be associated with you. One more performance like sunday's and you can do it without me"

No further questions your honour. I rest my case.

Oh and by the way, You're not a merger or a joint venture. You're a hostile takeover. Illawarra supply you with all these highly touted juniors and what do they get out of it? A pair of socks.

Red Bear

Referee
Willow said:
GoTheBears, That would have to be one of the most ill-informed replies I've ever read in this forum. You make Stacey look like an expert.

I have nothing against the Nth Sydney Bears and their 'glorious history'... so I'll resist the temptation to lower the discussion to your level.

Sorry mate, i just really dislike the St George dragons, and yer i am Frenzal. I dont mind people having a go at me about the Bears either, im used to it. But my great grandfather was alive wen we won our 2 competitions :D

By the way, Souths are also one of only 3 teams to get back in the top level(the others were Wests in 83-84 and Manly, but i honestly wouldnt have minded if Manly hadnt got back in). I hope the Bears are the 4th ever team.

Anonymous

Juniors
DaleyIsGod said:
Willow said:
How dare you suggest these men would be ashamed of any honest rugby league player... a disgusting assertion

That was a joke. Very tongue in cheek.
Bullshite... you've been caught red handed making a public fool of yourself. You clearly said that legendary Saints players would be ashamed of the current Saints players. You confirmed this with your next post:
DaleyIsGod said:
However, ask Raper what he thinks about Mundine. Im sure he'd be happy to pass judgement on him.
Raper said Mundine should put a sock in it... do you have evidence he was 'ashamed' of any first grade player?
DaleyIsGod said:
I also have an old league week with showcasing an old article 'from the archives' style, written by Raper during his time as Cronulla coach, and he was bagging the sh*t out of his own team. I think the title of the article was "My stars make me suicidal" or something like that.
Chook was always good for the odd headline but is there anything there which says he is 'ashamed' of the current team? This being your claim.
DaleyIsGod said:
Edit: I've found it. And it also has an article from another Saints legend Ian Walsh while he was coaching parra in 72. Here's a sample:

"You're a gutless bunch Parramatta. I am ashamed to be associated with you. One more performance like sunday's and you can do it without me"

No further questions your honour. I rest my case.
No... you said it was Raper, Gasnier, Provan and Langlands saying they were ashamed of St George players. Now you're saying that Ian Walsh onced bagged out on Parramatta players in the press... and this rests your case? :lol:
Am I the only one who is thinking you're making this up as you go along?

The final upshot will be... do you really believe that any player, be Gasnier, Langlands, Meninga or Daley would openly attack the efforts of any other rugby league player who puts in an honest effort? Thats the only question here.

LMAO god I love the elitist attitude of you Saints fans. Just cos you won a bunch of premierships back when the Beatles were big, you think you can carry on like you're Rugby League royalty.

Oh so that's it…. You have an inferiority complex.

Well I won't lie to you… I do feel somewhat better then you for supporting the club I do… it's just the truth, deal with it.

Anonymous

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
Willow said:
GoTheBears, That would have to be one of the most ill-informed replies I've ever read in this forum. You make Stacey look like an expert.

I have nothing against the Nth Sydney Bears and their 'glorious history'... so I'll resist the temptation to lower the discussion to your level.

Sorry mate, i just really dislike the St George dragons, and yer i am Frenzal. I dont mind people having a go at me about the Bears either, im used to it. But my great grandfather was alive wen we won our 2 competitions :D

By the way, Souths are also one of only 3 teams to get back in the top level(the others were Wests in 83-84 and Manly, but i honestly wouldnt have minded if Manly hadnt got back in). I hope the Bears are the 4th ever team.
I can't help that you dislike the St George Dragons... but thats your choice.
The fact that you acknowledge the history of your own team when your great grandfather was around is something that I sincerely respect.
Cheers.

Raper was bagging his own team in the press. He wrote his very own article saying how hopeless the Sharks were. You being a Saints fan I expected you to say something like " Oh well it's Cronulla they deserve to get bagged!" What kinda coach does that? & Ian Walsh is as much a Saints legend as the rest of the players I mentioned, so it's the same bloody thing as far as I'm concerned hair-splitter. He viciously bags his team, and mentions Keith Campbell & Denis Fitzgerald (current wanker Parra CEO) by name as having no pride, no respect or no code of decency. I'm reading this right now. And he actually says himself he is ashamed of his side. Now you may be right in saying those legends wouldn't be ashamed of the current crop of Saints. But they're no angels. Didn't Raper also bag the shit outta Big Mal during the super league war cos he took something Mal said outta context? Yes.

Denis'saints'Freak said:
Oh so that's it…. You have an inferiority complex.

Well I won't lie to you… I do feel somewhat better then you for supporting the club I do… it's just the truth, deal with it.

LOL :lol: Oh gee that's a good one mate. Last time I checked I supported a superior team who beat you twice this year and finished MUCH higher. You guys are living in the past. WAAAAY in the past. like a QUARTER OF A CENTURY...ok I had to say it again. Thank you for admitting to being an elitist Denis, and I'll deal with it just fine by watching my team beat your's. Actually I might go find the video tapes of it now. :D

alive103

Juniors
[
LMAO god I love the elitist attitude of you Saints fans. Just cos you won a bunch of premierships back when the Beatles were big, you think you can carry on like you're Rugby League royalty. We may not of won a title in 9 years but hey at least It's on the horizon for us. We even have a great shot at winning it next year, which you do not. You guys haven't won a title in almost a QUARTER OF A CENTURY. Wow that sounds like a long time. probably cos it is. And our boring attack seemed to be working fine when we beat you twice this season, and finished in the top 4. Where did you finish pal? That's right another season of underachieving. All those overrated rep players and no heart or passion for their supposedly great jerseys. No wonder Browny cracked a fit and started spanking the captain Joe Jackson style LMAO. We're a team. you're a bunch of big names that can't coexist and succeed. Maybe it's hard keeping all those big ego's in check? I wonder what Johnny Raper, Norm Provan, Reg Gasnier, Graeme Langlands and the rest think about the current team. They'd be pretty ashamed of them probably. And thanks we'll enjoy our ex St. George coach. Make sure you enjoy our greatest ever player trying his hardest to help you out, but not even all his knowledge and greatness can help that troupe. How long do you reckon Barrett wil last before getting injured? The funny thing is I dont even hate St George. I hate The Roosters, and I used to hate Manly & Brisbane growing up. I actually cheered for the Saints in 3 of those GF's, but they didn't have what it takes to be premeirs, and they're even worse off these days. If you guys played like a team and put the ego's aside you'd go allright. Firman's got skills though, if you have any chance of winning anything in the future you have to tie him up for the next 10 years.
[/quote]

Dead set you can crap on. Your superlative attack has helped you win one semi final in your last 6 post season appearances. You beat us both times this year granted. But look at the comparitive strengths of the teams that Saints produced those days to full strength squads. If you didn't beat us easy, you were as it turned out pretenders. And don't give me "We are Premier League premiers" because the truth is it doesn't mean shit. I will bet anyone Canberra don't win a Grand Final in the next five years. You don't have the class in the halves for mine and once Croker got hurt this year, the ship started sinking.

I ask if you even watched half of Saints games this season mate and then follow that up with a team sheet for Saints that read the same two weeks in a row. That may explain the problems of 2003 as was the problems with a Canberra side in 1992. If you don't have the best on the park consistently playing together, especially with young players, it is difficult for them to get up every week.

Anonymous

Juniors
Perhaps someone can explain why we consistently have the problems of OTHER BLOODY TEAMS being highlighted in this thread.
You'd think they wouldn't give a shite but then again, here we are.

daleyisgod.... you still don't get it. You say Raper, Langlands, Gasnier and Provan are ashamed of the current St George team. When the stupidity of this statement is shown, you then go on about Raper criticising Cronulla (not the first Sharks coach to do that LOL) and Walsh criticising Parramatta... as if thats got anything to do with it. Did it ever occur to you that these guys were trying gee-up players who they thought were not being honsest to themselves? You really read back on what I said... and learn.

FFS, you've even brought SuperLeague into it :lol: Whats next? The Holocaust? Or how about the Franco-Prussian war? I'm sure that has something to do with your argument. :lol: :lol:

Your response is just a make-it-up-as-you-go-along load of bullshit. The 'point' you're trying to make (assuming you actually have a point contains unsubstantiated and totally IRRELEVANT claims - all of which is indicative of someone in a mad panic.

FMD... I think Denis is right... some guys just have an inferiority complex and will try to come up with any crap to prove it.

What am I making up?

Like I said Willow it was a tongue in cheek, smart alec comment intended to rile you up. You took it literally. You then say none of those blokes would pass negative judgment on ANY player. Well that's untrue. Raper also said Laurie sold his soul. What an asshole thing to say. You then got on me for mentioning Walsh's negative judgement of his own team. Is Walsh not a saints legend too mate? The bottom line is we're picking certain words to try and ram home our respective arguments. You with the "ashamed" comment. And me with the "pass negative judgement" comment. That's cool, I can understand the Johnny Cochrane style word- twisting back and forth but the fact of the matter is, you love your club and I love mine. I come in here looking for the bloke who has that Kimmorley/Ando sig so I can show it to my mates, and then I see all this bagging of the Raiders all of a sudden. Me being a very passionate Raider I decided to have a go at your lot.

Alive - Mate. Using the old injuries excuse eh. Hey you don't see me saying "we would of won the 93 GF and Saints wouldn't of even been in it if Stuart didn't break his ankle" do you? The reason we beat your team twice is not because of injuries. It's cos we play like a team. And yeah I'm proud we won the premier league title. Why not? We also won the SG Ball. It holds us in good stead for the future. So "it doesn't mean shit" is just not right. You'd be proud and excited about the future of your club if Saints won it. We don't have the class in the halves for the next 5 years eh? I think you'll be surprised with what we have waiting in the wings. Your ship started sinking in round 1. And what do you wanna bet?

Inferiority complex my arse. I've watched my club win 3 premierships in my lifetime. And I have no doubts I will see more in the not too distant future. Every club goes through a few lean years, we're coming out of that now and it feels bloody great.

Red Bear

Referee
DaleyIsGod said:
Inferiority complex my arse. I've watched my club win 3 premierships in my lifetime. And I have no doubts I will see more in the not too distant future. Every club goes through a few lean years, we're coming out of that now and it feels bloody great.

Lol Daley, unfortuanately it was the oppisite with my team, who had a few goof years between the losing times and still never wont he premiership during thos good years(apart from 21-22).

Alan Shore

First Grade
These Dragqueens just never learn. Let's use their logic, and history is a continuation. Thus:

50 years and WON f**k ALL!

alive103

Juniors
DaleyIsGod said:
Alive - Mate. Using the old injuries excuse eh. Hey you don't see me saying "we would of won the 93 GF and Saints wouldn't of even been in it if Stuart didn't break his ankle" do you? The reason we beat your team twice is not because of injuries. It's cos we play like a team. And yeah I'm proud we won the premier league title. Why not? We also won the SG Ball. It holds us in good stead for the future. So "it doesn't mean sh*t" is just not right. You'd be proud and excited about the future of your club if Saints won it. We don't have the class in the halves for the next 5 years eh? I think you'll be surprised with what we have waiting in the wings. Your ship started sinking in round 1. And what do you wanna bet?

Daley man, I hate the injuries excuse. I really do. The second time you played us, we had 3 in a State of Origin camp whilst Canberra was somehow at full strength. (How Schificoske isn't picked for Qld is beyond me) And we got beat by a point. The first time, well that game could have gone either way. The intercept on halftime turned the game in your favour.

Saints were First Division premiers in 2001, runners up in 2002 and it doesn't guarantee success by any means. It is a base but it doesn't mean they will succeed in the future. Damien Chapman was a reserve grade champion but as useless as shit in first grade. Keeping the players together is the key. For example our 2001 side had Justin Smith and Ben Ross in it and they have gone on to become established stars elsewhere. Monagahan was the best halfback in your club and he's gone to Manly. He was your future in my opinion. The advantage Canberra has is the age difference between players. Davico retires and you have a ready made replacement. We had Ryles, Bailey, Ross and Donnelly come through together.

About your team theory. It helps when your club has continuity wouldn't you agree? We didn't this year at any stage and provided we have stability in key areas, Saints will improve enormously next year. I don't think the Raiders have the same scope for improvement unless you find a brillant attacking player that can produce a try like the absolute best do.

As for the bet, I take whatever money you are willing to put on the table.

I don't mind the Raiders but you are criticising Saints for having a bad year when external variants were unusually high. But just quietly, your Grand Final sides had no less than 10 players of State of Origin quality in them. They were truly great sides and it was your era with Stuart and Daley (champion players) guiding the team. You were lucky to be born at a time when this occurred. But just out of curiousity, how did you start supporting Canberra? Because you would have been, like me 6 when they made the Grand Final in 1987. And 8 when they won the Grand Final in 1989..... It does help when you start by supporting a side when they are beginning an era.

I started supporting Canberra when I was 8 during the 89 semi final's. I hadn't really seen Rugby League before, because it was on mega late at night in New Zealand and my dad sent me to bed LOL. I remember I saw like maybe the last 20 mins of the match between Aussie & Rest of the world in 88. I was sick and vomitted on my floor and got up outta bed and wandered out to the lounge and watched it with my dad. But yeah the 89 semis were the first time I really saw the NSWRL, cos they were televised in the day. I took an immediate liking to them cos they wore green which was my favourite colour, and plus they were really flash with the way they played. They ended up playing Balmain in the GF who my dad and brother loved, so we had a war on the couch that day. Yes I admit I long for the days where our attack used to just be so razzle-dazzle, and I get a little agitated at times when we don't go wide. But hey if we're winning, I don't care too much. And I agree with you on Monaghan, I was pretty pissed they let him go. But the club made him an offer at the start of the season and he turned it down. He decided to show his worth and try to get a better deal. Plus Elliott likes really big 5/8ths, and McLinden started to take his opportunity in the number 7.

Anonymous

Juniors
Why supporters feel they are better informed to pass comment on the identity of Saints is beyond me... but they still keep coming and they still keep grumbling about how unfair it is... and assorted crap like that.

In any case, I've been very reluctant to talk about other clubs because quite frankly, this thread doesnt affect other clubs... it was originally directed at the NRL.

You only have to look at the events of the last few years to realise that the NRL is slowly coming to the realisation that history and tradition is a valuable thing. It marketable for a start... and its quite likely that will be a decisive factor when Saints win their 16th premiership.

Latest posts