What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Chappell/Hadlee Trophy Match AUS v NZ @ WACA

Iafeta

Referee
i think i would put it in a similar vain to someone being caught when the bowler steps over the mark...

technically its not out as it should be a no ball... but because the umpire didn't call it you have to take it on the chin...

if memory serves me right Warne missed out on a century because of a front foot no ball being missed...

He was also caught behind on 83. The umpire missed a massive knick.

I don't think the Broom incident is in the same league as a no ball. I don't put the blame on the umpire or the 'keeper, I just think more or less it actually highlights Brad Haddin's poor glovework. He's a very ordinary wicket-keeper, he made a couple of good scrambles at the end for Australia and then when it counted he missed a dolly and gave up a single to give momentum to New Zealand.

I doubt New Zealand would have been wary enough to use the appeal had it been in place. Broom looked confused, but I don't think he at the time was aware of anything untoward happening.

Iafeta

Referee
Who is Michael Clark and what team does he play for?

A little tip...if you are going to be a typical kiwi and accuse an aussie of cheating, then make sure you get the player's name correct.

:lol: You know you're battling for hope when your attack is based on spelling rather than fact.

Batman Returns

Juniors
We all know players watch the replays. You see them looking up at the big screen all the time. Broom should have been called back. End of story.

edabomb

First Grade
Brad Haddin lashes back at Daniel Vettori over criticism

February 02, 2009 AUSTRALIA wicketkeeper Brad Haddin branded New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori "low" for questioning his integrity in a bitter aftermath to the Chappell-Hadlee series opener on Sunday night.
Haddin declared his innocence and lashed out at Vettori after the veteran spinner stopped just short of calling the Australian a cheat following the controversial dismissal of Neil Broom in the Kiwis' two-wicket win in Perth on Sunday.
Vettori believed Broom was not bowled by spinner Michael Clarke, but rather Haddin's gloves had removed the bails.
Haddin admitted his gloves crept forward of the stumps, which under cricket's laws should be deemed a no-ball, but he was adamant Clarke's delivery hit the woodwork before bouncing into his gloves.
"I'm pretty disappointed in Dan that he didn't have the decency to come and speak to me after the game if he had an issue with it rather than air his thoughts in a press conference," Haddin said on Monday.
"I think the polite or the decent thing to do would be to come and ask me.
"He's played a lot of cricket now and he knows too well what happens with these situations, so I thought it was a bit low.
"He should have come and talked to me.
"It's disappointing when anyone questions your integrity.
"I think it's quite poor.
"I was unaware at the time my hands were in front of the stumps.
"After looking at the replay, my hands were in front of the stumps but the ball – I'm 100 per cent positive (it) hit the bails first and then came up into my gloves."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24994822-23212,00.html

:lol: Haddin has lost the plot.

Iafeta

Referee

He seems oblivious to the fact that's a no ball. Has to touch the bat, or the batsman, or the wicket before his gloves go in front of the stumps. Perhaps it's not a lack of skill that makes him a poor gloveman, perhaps he just doesn't understand the rules of cricket that well.

What about Ponting's response to Vettori's comments? Vettori's comments were softly softly IMO, and yet Ponting says he'll let him know about it should Haddin be in the clear. What about the fact Haddin's not in the clear Punter, what then mate?

Iafeta

Referee
Oh I'm sorry... perhaps this is the response I should have given, you may recall it from your times of Murali bowling, but the same applies to Haddin's keeping...

No ball!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He seems oblivious to the fact that's a no ball. Has to touch the bat, or the batsman, or the wicket before his gloves go in front of the stumps. Perhaps it's not a lack of skill that makes him a poor gloveman, perhaps he just doesn't understand the rules of cricket that well.

What about Ponting's response to Vettori's comments? Vettori's comments were softly softly IMO, and yet Ponting says he'll let him know about it should Haddin be in the clear. What about the fact Haddin's not in the clear Punter, what then mate?

he must be oblivious to the fact that he took it in front of the stumps

knowing its a no ball and its gonna hit, or go close, to the stumps, why would he take it in front of the stumps ?

bad error in judgment to say the least imo

Iafeta

Referee
More than anything, it highlights some deficiencies in his keeping. He shells a lot of catches for a 'keeper.

ozbash

Referee
but he was adamant Clarke's delivery hit the woodwork before bouncing into his gloves.

I dont believe him :lol:

Ponting - integrity :lol:

Haddin - integrity :lol:

Batman Returns

Juniors
Q. What do you call 17 Aussie players & an Aussie coach neglecting to pick-up their runner-up medals, refusing to attend an aftermatch function which then got cancelled, attacking referees, going off in the press, inventing a conspiracy etc etc etc.
A. The Kangaroo's.

Batman Returns

Juniors
I bet they haven't been able to calm Stuart down yet. Still waking up in the middle of the night screaming "NO NO NO - IT'S A CONSPIRACY - YOU'LL ALL PAY"

Blaze

Juniors
Yeah it was a no ball....but Hussey got a shocker and of course the slimey McCullum appealed.

Good to see karma coming back to bite him.

I have no doubt that there is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the tasman regarding this incident. The Black Craps win and still they whinge!

And if McCullum was in Haddin's position he would have claimed it. We're talking about a guy who was involved in 'running out' a player celebrating a mate's century.

lol 'the slimey McCullum'... like you know him, and then to claim karma... please.

Ridiculous to claim people of 'whinging'... it's a talking point from the game. Internet forums are made for this sh*t, but you are right, McCullum may have claimed it and the Australian fans would be fuming about it (and rightly so). You don't honestly believe otherwise do you?

Haddin should have told the umpires he wasn't sure. He didn't cheat. I was dissapointed Haddin didn't tell the umpires to refer it though, because his initial reaction certainly suggested he wasn't absolutely sure.

And his comments afterwards were just stupid. To say he is 100% sure that the ball hit the stumps first is just plain false...
2d1pmwx.jpg

Blaze

Juniors
He's played a lot of cricket now and he knows too well what happens with these situations, so I thought it was a bit low.
"He should have come and talked to me.
"It's disappointing when anyone questions your integrity.
"I think it's quite poor.

"After looking at the replay, my hands were in front of the stumps but the ball – I'm 100 per cent positive (it) hit the bails first and then came up into my gloves."

33p9a48.jpg

Latest posts