What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st ODI: Australia v Pakistan at Sharjah Aug 28-29, 2012

Hallatia

Referee
Lalala

Another 2 dayer, I think Pakistan are capable of taking the series 3-0, so Australia really need to be on their games

Hallatia

Referee
Wade concerns force batting re-think
Daniel Brettig
August 27, 2012

Matthew Wade's place in the Australian batting order against Pakistan may hinge on the outcome of the coin toss, as concerns mount over his ability to play as an opener after keeping wicket for 50 overs in the enervating heat of Sharjah.

Australia's acting coach - and former Test wicketkeeper - Steve Rixon has flagged the possibility of Wade being sent down the order should Australia field first against Pakistan in the opening match of the series, even suggesting that Michael Hussey may be promoted to open the batting as he does for Chennai, Rixon's IPL team.

In the defeat of Afghanistan, Wade batted at the top of the order and contributed a battling 75 before snaffling three catches. He was noticeably drained by the end, but would be stretched even further with only the dinner break between keeping wicket and opening the batting in a chase.

"Matthew Wade is probably the biggest concern," Rixon said in Sharjah. "He has a dual role to play. If he has to field first, and then go out and do the batting, he's going to look a lot more tired doing it that way than the way he did it last night. He's a guy we will have to manage well and his position in the batting may have a bearing on that."

Rixon made it clear he would welcome the chance to send Hussey up the order, though he demonstrated his value in the middle order with a rapid-fire 49 from 37 balls to ensure Australia reached a strong total against Afghanistan. The captain Michael Clarke, just promoted to No. 3, and the floating George Bailey are other options to open the batting.

"Probably a really positive option would be Mike Hussey," Rixon said, "who has opened with the Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League."

Ahead of Australia's first meeting with Pakistan since the 2011 World Cup, Rixon suggested that Australia needed to play to the pace strength demonstrated against Afghanistan, though it is known that Pakistan will stack their side with up to four slow bowlers of quality.

"We've learnt a lot by actually playing a lot of our guys over the years in the Indian Premier League and other subcontinent competitions where we've actually seen how quicks bowling into the wicket with pace can be hard work," Rixon said. "To me, if that's our trump card, by all means we'll be using it accordingly. You don't just play spinners for the sake of it.

"You've got to be getting people who are going to play a role in your side. If that means three or four quicks, or three quicks and say [absent allrounder] Shane Watson to come into your bowling attack, by all means, that will be our attack. It's something we took on board and we'll probably be using it as one of our strengths."

Nonetheless, Clarke was keen to emphasise the importance of handling and using spin bowling as critical to the outcome of the series. Xavier Doherty, Glenn Maxwell and Steven Smith may be used primarily in support of Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson and Mitchell Johnson, but Clarke did not wish to underplay their importance to a winning combination.

"Whoever bowls spin the best and whoever plays spin the best will win the series," Clarke said. "Whether it is attacking or defending, the way our spinners bowl is going to be crucial to us having success. It doesn't mean they take all the wickets, as we've seen.

"The Australian way is, for a long time, fast bowlers have had success all around the world. I see this series being no different, but I do believe our spinners are going to play a huge part in us taking 10 wickets in every game."

As for the issue of humidity, Clarke said extra attention had to be paid in the form of sweatbands, and towels. "Probably the most important thing for us is when bowling second, realise how much you're sweating," Clarke said. "So we'll combat that with guys wearing sweatbands, make sure there's towels, to be able to hang onto the ball."
Sauce

Hallatia

Referee
Michael Hussey open to promotion
Daniel Brettig
August 27, 2012

Michael Hussey is so established as Australia's middle-order fulcrum that his absence from England earlier this year was considered by the team management to have been critical in suffering a 0-4 defeat. Nonetheless, Hussey is happy to entertain the prospect of abandoning that role to open the batting should the dual duties of batting up top and keeping wicket be deemed too taxing for Matthew Wade.

Parental leave caused Hussey to miss the ODI tour of England, and he believes the break has refreshed him for assignments to come. On the eve of Australia's first match against Pakistan in Sharjah, Hussey acknowledged the extreme heat of the UAE in August-September required a degree of flexibility in how the team's resources were managed, and said he would happily accept a promotion if required to ease Wade's burden.

"I'm open to it, it doesn't bother me," Hussey said in Sharjah. "Whatever the team really needs I'd be more than happy to try to help out, as long as I'm somewhere in that batting order, I'm happy to bat anywhere from Nos. 1 to 11.

"If Wadey did make a hundred in these pretty oppressive conditions batting first and then had to go straight out and keep, that would be a difficult thing. Or if we were chasing in extremely hot conditions and he fielded the whole 50 overs and didn't feel like he could 100% concentrate on opening the innings for us then it might be something we could look at.

"But he's a pretty fit guy Wadey and I think he plays that role pretty well, what's he's been doing at the moment, so he'd have to be in a pretty bad way I think for them to try and change that tactic, but certainly we have to be flexible as batsmen, we've learned to become more flexible with Twenty20 cricket coming in and things like that, so I'd certainly have no dramas with it."

Though he started life as an opening batsman, Hussey began his evolution into the complete player of today when shifted down the order in English county cricket, and enjoys the posting in ODIs. His blend of power, timing, placement and hustled singles has been vital to Australia's progress in many matches, particularly in the later overs when batting has become difficult for new batsmen coming to the wicket to deal with reverse swing, spin and the white ball's loss of colour.

"I'm just trying to play my role in the team and trying to play the situation of the game," Hussey said. "It might've come off in the last game but there's been hundreds of times that it hasn't come off and it's been up to other guys. But it's certainly a role I enjoy, I like being in those tight, pressure situations, trying to work the team out of it, but I wouldn't say I'm an expert at it or anything like that, I just try to do my role in the team."

The heat of the region at this time of year forced the bizarre scheduling of the ODI matches to span two days, concluding around 2am local time. Hussey said the Australians would not be using it as an excuse should they slip up against Pakistan over the next three matches.

"I don't think we'll be letting the heat be an excuse for any poor performance," Hussey said. "I've played in Chennai, even in just Twenty20 games, and that's a lot hotter than playing out here. In Chennai the temperature might be only mid-30s but the humidity is unbelievable. That's probably the most oppressive conditions I've ever had to play in.

"Having said that, it's still extremely tough here. I only batted for 15 overs the other day [to make 49 from 37 balls] and I was pretty knackered by the end of it."
Sauce

Earl

Coach
Classic Michael Clarke.

'The bowlers will sweat so were looking into wearing sweatbands'

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppppp

Yesterday;

Michael Clarke said:
Whoever bowls spin the best and whoever plays spin the best will win the series," Clarke said. "Whether it is attacking or defending, the way our spinners bowl is going to be crucial to us having success. It doesn't mean they take all the wickets, as we've seen.

Today;

Doherty Dropped for First ODI

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...istan-in-sharjah/story-fn2mcu3x-1226459544689

Hallatia

Referee
genius, Australia will line up as follows
Michael Clarke (captain), David Warner, Matthew Wade (keeper), Michael Hussey, David Hussey, George Bailey, Gerry Maxwell, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Dan Christian.

so Clarke to open, Wade to 3, Hussey to 4

Earl

Coach
Excellent. Problems Solved.

Wade should feel much fresher only having to bat a possible 49.5 overs instead of 50.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hussey really should open, he is the future of Australian cricket :roll:

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Michael Clarke (captain), David Warner, Matthew Wade (keeper), Michael Hussey, David Hussey, George Bailey, Gerry Maxwell, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Dan Christian.

:lol: Gerry Maxwell..:lol:..

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/579616.html

Conditions trim Australia's advantage..

Despite having an excellent record against Pakistan, an out-of-sorts Australia will be tested at venues that are likely to favour spin..

Madhusudhan Ramakrishnan
August 27, 2012

While Australia will be looking to get their ODI form back on track after a heavy defeat in England, Pakistan will seek to reassert their dominance in familiar conditions. Here are stats highlights ahead of the three-match ODI series to be played in Abu Dhabi and Sharjah.

Australia and Pakistan have played each other 35 times since 2000 with Australia having an overwhelming 26-8 record. The head-to-head record since 2005 is also loaded in favour of Australia (13-4). While the contests in Australia have been completely one-sided (9-1 to Australia), the record is far more even (4-3) in neutral venues.

In the last series played between the two teams in the UAE, Australia beat Pakistan 3-2. Pakistan, however, caused a massive upset by ending Australia's 34-match unbeaten streak in World Cups when they registered a four-wicket win in Colombo in the group stage of the 2011 World Cup.

Pakistan enter the series with a mixed record in the last 12 months. Pakistan beat both Sri Lanka and Bangladesh comfortably but lost 4-0 to England after winning the Test series. They went on to win the Asia Cup beating Bangladesh in the final but lost the following ODI series in Sri Lanka 3-1.

Australia, on the other hand, lost their way after wins in South Africa and the CB series. They drew 2-2 against West Indies and lost 4-0 to England which resulted in them slipping in the ODI rankings. It was only the fourth time that Australia lost four matches in a bilateral ODI series.

Australia will miss the all-round skills of Shane Watson in this series. Since 2009, Watson has scored 3300 runs at an average of 44.59 and strike rate close to 91 with five centuries. In the same period, he is also Australia's second-highest wicket-taker with 85 wickets at 26.15. However, Mitchell Johnson, Australia's highest wicket-taker since 2009 (105 wickets at 26.56) returns to the squad. Among non-subcontinent bowlers who have picked up at least 50 wickets in Asia, Johnson's average of 21.10 is second only to that of Allan Donald (19.60).

Michael Clarke has scored nearly 800 runs against Pakistan at an excellent average of 61.23. His average is the best among batsmen who have scored at least 750 runs in ODIs against Pakistan.

With Umar Gul missing out, the top three wicket-takers in Pakistan's squad (since 2009) are all spinners. Shahid Afridi, one of only three players to score over 7000 runs and pick up 250 wickets, has a best performance of 6 for 38 against Australia in the UAE in 2009.

In 11 day-night games in Abu Dhabi since 2009, the team batting first has won six and lost five. There is no significant advantage in Sharjah either with the team batting first having a 3-2 record in five day-night matches. Sharjah, which hosts the first and third ODIs, has been the better bowling venue for both pace bowlers and spinners. In day-night games in Sharjah since 2009, pace bowlers have picked up 41 wickets at 28.36 and spinners have 34 wickets at 28.32. The corresponding figures in Abu Dhabi are 85 wickets at 31.91 (pace) and 62 wickets at 31.14 (spin).

Madhusudhan Ramakrishnan is a sub-editor (stats) at ESPNcricinfo..

Patorick

Staff member

7. Christian
8. Maxwell

The Joker

Juniors
Pakistan would have to be specials against that team. It'll be interesting to see what if any impact Gerard has