What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Qualifying final: Newcastle vs Manly *SPOILERS*

Mayor West

Juniors
Blaze said:
He should be in the squad, but NZ has a few decent centres atm. If Manly play next week and he performs equally as well as he did tonight then I would say he will be starting in the opening game of the Tri Nations

Yeah that's true....I hope he really keeps it up...Last year against the eels in the semis i thought he was pretty bad but tonight he was one player in the manly side who really stepped up to the plate in the pressure cooker that is finals football.

Dutchy

Immortal
thuganomics said:
Congrats Manly on a great game.

You guys I still believed were unlucky not to win. Jarrod Mullen = Freak.

Yea great player

Still remember 2 years ago in a school game...5/8th on opposing sides..i scored 22 he scored 0 - I broke 2 of his ribs...yet I cant break sh*t

Good on him

Gonna be HHHUUUGGGGEEEEE

innsaneink

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
Buderus' tackle is NOT the same as Crocker's at all. The tackled player might have ended up in the same position but the tackle itself was very different. Buderus went in to make a good strong tackle and the momentum of Robertson meant he couldn't control the tackle once he was in the air. Crocker had more control in the tackle because there was little/no momentum in it, but he still speared the player. Plus his record is bad.

As for the game, if Newcastle had realised they had to straighten their attack in the first 10 minutes instead of after 50 minutes they would have won more easily. Manly's first half defence was great though. Kurt Gidley had a blinder but Mullen was very good for a young bloke in his first final. Kennedy was good again despite his binning and Menzies and Orford were good too. There will be a lot of bleating about the ref but overall not much more went Newcastle's way. Manly's tries were a bit lucky and they made the mistakes that let the Knights back into it so I don't think they can complain too much. Plus they got the rub last time they played there so you have to take the bad with the good.

Exactly how I saw it.....grade 1 imo...1 week.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Sea Eagle Scuba said:
Oh well boys, not to worry. Gotta give credit where credit is due. BTW Congrats to Mullen, had all the pressure of kicking the winner, and he absolutely nailed it. So well done mate.

Good on you Steve, great displays of sportsmanship by Manly fans in here

scottyj said:
Yea great player

Still remember 2 years ago in a school game...5/8th on opposing sides..i scored 22 he scored 0 - I broke 2 of his ribs...yet I cant break sh*t

Good on him

Gonna be HHHUUUGGGGEEEEE

Yeah right :lol: and pigs fly! LMAO!

brooksy19

Bench
Great Game

Poor Ref

Manly Unlucky

Buderus In Trouble

Kurt Gidley > Andrew Johns (Tonight)

Mullen = Star

Dutchy

Immortal
Sea Eagle Scuba said:
Yeah right :lol: and pigs fly! LMAO!

Mate I was a gun res grader b4 i had knee reso :p

Shoulda added half our forward pack now plays Flegg and Res grade for various clubs

and their props were like 60 KG

You make your own luck guys. Sometimes the calls dont go your way, but if thats the way the cookie crumbles then thats what we need to except. The refereeing decisions didnt cost Manly, once again it was the lack of discipline and too much drop ball.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
what a ripper of a game... if only it wasnt clouded by some dubious calls and tackles... if only all the games of footy were like this... lolz except broncos matches.... broncos gotta win by 20 atleast.... !!!!!

Mayor West

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
I can't see Hampstead getting another finals game this year.

You would hope thats the case.
If the other refs perform decently hopefully Mr Bean will begin his off-season earlier then he expected.

aussies1st

Staff member
Manly had the chance to win it with the Orford penalty. Even with how poor the ref was that was their chance.

brooksy19

Bench
aussies1st said:
Johns still played bloody brilliant once he found the weak point.

Ohh no doubt, but Gidley defintley sparked them in attack and was outstanding in positioning for a stand in fullback, couple that with his two tries (though i concede joey thre both passes), all in all he was better than Johns.. No big deal.

If Manly wins i believe Kite was Man Of the Match, he was incredible.

brooksy19

Bench
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
I can't see Hampstead getting another finals game this year.

Agreed. He lost the plot 5 mins into the game, it was like the game was too quick for him. He has to go, though who do you bring up Hayne ? :lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
Props to the Knights. Showed some real courage to get back into the game after being 12-0 down.

Buderus Must go!

Snoz

Juniors
what i witnessed was manly get frustrated from the most one-sided ref decisions i have ever seen and they pushed bad passes and gave away more dumb penalties.

all steaming from a ref who thought he was a knights player tonight

bad decisions off top of my head

1. mattai for late tackle on johns
2. mattai not long after
3. strip on kennedy
4. orford taken out after kick
5. stewart called for knock-on
6. bk sin binned but buderus commits are far worse foul
7. burns penalty for suppose grapple - what he did happens nearly every 2nd tackle in the nrl.

all these gifted knights possession - at the end manly ran out of steam.

brooksy19

Bench
Imagine if that was the Grand Final, that gimp Bumstead just lost any chance he had of getting the GF, unfortunatly that leaves us with Clarke.