What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test - Australia v India at Melbourne Dec 26-30, 2011

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
1. Warner
2. Watson
3. Marsh
4. Ponting
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Harris
9. Siddle
10.Pattinson
11.Lyon

A few notes:

1) This is Pontings last series. I keep him in, out of respect, and let him finish in Australia. It is known this is his last series. Unless he has a bradman like series where he hits multiple hundreds, he finishes.
2) Harris in. If Harris isnt fit then well, I dont know, I wouldnt go for for Starc though. PRobably Copeland next
3) Hughes Dropped, Starc Dropped
4) Khawaja also dropped but is next batsman in line.
5) Also would be happy to replace Haddin if had a respectable in form keeper.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Harris is out for the summer, no point in putting him in your team.

Looks like Cummins will be gone for a while too.

Wonder of its too soon to blood Hazlewood

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cowan is almost 30, with an average under 40. I'd rather stick with the younger bloke with a far superior record.

It's not like Uzi has been an outright failure, he's got starts looked good and not converted. Todays shot was poor but no worse than Pontings or the captains. I just think we should be looking to the future, if Ponting and Huss were scoring runs we wouldn't be talking about them and rightly so. But right now they are being carried and pontings case it's seemed like forever, i'd rather carry a few younger guys with an eye to the future. Rather than carry a guy who doesn't know when to give it away........

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Praveen Kumar impressed me in England (may have just been relative because of how badly all the other Indian bowlers were going after ZaK got injured), will he be around for Australia?

No he's not coming, either is their impressive young quick Aaron, both are injured. They are bringing Ravi Ashwin the offspinner who took a couple of 5fors and scored a hundred in his first series. Off spinners though usually struggle here though b

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cowan is almost 30, with an average under 40. I'd rather stick with the younger bloke with a far superior record.

It's not like Uzi has been an outright failure, he's got starts looked good and not converted. Todays shot was poor but no worse than Pontings or the captains. I just think we should be looking to the future, if Ponting and Huss were scoring runs we wouldn't be talking about them and rightly so. But right now they are being carried and pontings case it's seemed like forever, i'd rather carry a few younger guys with an eye to the future. Rather than carry a guy who doesn't know when to give it away........

Since when is 27 almost 30? If he was 29 sure, but he is basically the best bat in Australia right now. What is killing us is the fact we are 4 for bugger all, at least Cowan sees off the new ball. Khawaja has been poor and Marsh is better at no3 anyway as he has made 2 bigg scores at no3 in test cricket, Kahawaja hasn't.

African Monkey

First Grade
Maybe more faith could be shown in these guys?

I doubt you guys will produce anymore greentops for the rest of the summer and the Indians don't have a strong bowling attack apart from Zaheer Khan who is unfit most of the time anyway so maybe 1 more test to show faith in these guys?

Bazal

Post Whore

The thing is, though, for years we have bemoaned the fact that the selectors haven't been picking the in form players. Cowan is averaging over 60 at the moment and definitely deserves to be talked about IMO. It's no different to a couple of years ago when we were talking about Klinger....or Rogers...or Jaques. He could have a 40-50 Test career if he does well, he's still under 30 which is nice and he's in form. Usman might have all talent in the world, but he is struggling at the moment, so I think it's a very valid option to bring Cowan into the side for him (or Ponting or Hussey)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Since when is 27 almost 30? If he was 29 sure, but he is basically the best bat in Australia right now. What is killing us is the fact we are 4 for bugger all, at least Cowan sees off the new ball. Khawaja has been poor and Marsh is better at no3 anyway as he has made 2 bigg scores at no3 in test cricket, Kahawaja hasn't.
He's not 27, he's 29 going on 30 FFS!! He's been average most of his career, still averages under 40. As i said i'd go with the younger man with a far superior record.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The thing is, though, for years we have bemoaned the fact that the selectors haven't been picking the in form players. Cowan is averaging over 60 at the moment and definitely deserves to be talked about IMO. It's no different to a couple of years ago when we were talking about Klinger....or Rogers...or Jaques. He could have a 40-50 Test career if he does well, he's still under 30 which is nice and he's in form. Usman might have all talent in the world, but he is struggling at the moment, so I think it's a very valid option to bring Cowan into the side for him (or Ponting or Hussey)
Thats fair enough, if they do bite the bullet and move Ponting on is Ed Cowan really the answer??? They may as well go with Rogers who has been a far superior player and also in good form(Not saying they should either)

Bazal

Post Whore
Thats fair enough, if they do bite the bullet and move Ponting on is Ed Cowan really the answer??? They may as well go with Rogers who has been a far superior player and also in good form(Not saying they should either)

As I said, I have no issue with trying a short term option like that while the young fellas find their feet. If we have a guy who can average 45 over a 15 test career, then that's a handy option while your Hughes' and Khawajas and Warners etc etc find their feet in the Test arena. I dunno if Cowan is that man, but he's younger than Ponting and Hussey and older and more experienced than the young guys. The Kat was a late bloomer too, remember. He's the kind of player who could bridge the gap for a few series IMO

Latest posts