What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Gabba, Nov 21-25 2019

undertaker

Coach
Can Australia go through the whole day wicketless? I'm not sure the last time an Australian opening pair achieved this, but Tubby Taylor/Geoff Marsh did it during the 1989 Ashes. Regarding non-opening partnerships, Steve Waugh/Greg Blewett did it at Johannesburg in 1997.

undertaker

Coach
Oh, what on earth was Burns thinking with that shot????? Always very risky playing the sweep shot to a leggie bowling around the wicket.

undertaker

Coach
I notice Warney hasn't been creaming his pants over Yasir Shah like he did 3 years ago. In 2016, Warne was spruiking Yasir at every opportunity in the media and in commentary, saying how he was the best leg spin bowler in the world etc etc. Had a poor tour.

Then Kuldeep Yadav came along and Warne jumped onto the Kuldeep bandwagon

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
In today's era where the elite cricketers are all full-time professionals, get paid more than ever, spend more time in training sessions and the gym than previous generations, Pakistan's fielding has still remained absolutely woeful. Undoubtedly the worst fielding side in the ICC Test Championship.

Even fielders from the Associate Nations would make the Pakistanis look like kindergarten children.

undertaker

Coach
I notice Warney hasn't been creaming his pants over Yasir Shah like he did 3 years ago. In 2016, Warne was spruiking Yasir at every opportunity in the media and in commentary, saying how he was the best leg spin bowler in the world etc etc. Had a poor tour.

Then Kuldeep Yadav came along and Warne jumped onto the Kuldeep bandwagon
My prediction: in the rare case Yasir Shah does do well during the test series (I say rare because foreign spinners have traditionally struggled in Australia, including Muralitharan), watch Warne jump back on the bandwagon, try to take the credit for Yasir's success, even though he's been pretty much neglected and discarded over the past couple of years.

undertaker

Coach
All this talk of technology looks good, but never been a fan of them interviewing players on field during a match. It's a bad habit that's crept into the NRL a few years ago. The players should be left on their own during the game, allowed to focus and concentrate, keep all the interviews to before and after day's play. I mean, was it really necessary to interview Warner at that moment when he looked absolutely crapped out in the heat?

undertaker

Coach
Running 4, was common 20 years ago, you rarely see it much these days. Shows what can happen when you have proper boundaries that haven't been shortened by 10-20 metres.

jargan83

Coach
All this talk of technology looks good, but never been a fan of them interviewing players on field during a match. It's a bad habit that's crept into the NRL a few years ago. The players should be left on their own during the game, allowed to focus and concentrate, keep all the interviews to before and after day's play. I mean, was it really necessary to interview Warner at that moment when he looked absolutely crapped out in the heat?

Those half time interviews in the NRL irritate me. Just wait until the end of the game ffs.

King hit

Coach
Can Australia go through the whole day wicketless? I'm not sure the last time an Australian opening pair achieved this, but Tubby Taylor/Geoff Marsh did it during the 1989 Ashes. Regarding non-opening partnerships, Steve Waugh/Greg Blewett did it at Johannesburg in 1997.
Marsh and Voges batted for the same amount of time as a days play back in 2015