What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: South Africa v India at Capetown Jan 5-9 2018

Hutty1986

Immortal
Deficit still 77 but could have easily been double that. SA on top but a gripping test match so far. Proteas a likable side outside of Du Pindick.

TheParraboy

Staff member
SA 2/65 stumps day 2, lead 142

Rabada and Amla at the crease

still to come AB, FAF and dekock

You would imagine India would be needing 400+ in the 2nd innings
SA's game to lose from here

JJ

Immortal
Who criminally under rates him?
I don't think he's universally held in the regard he should be - his record is pretty incredible - perhaps I am wrong, it has happened once or twice

Real shame he's hurt again - sad when great fast bowler's bodies start failing them - Hadlee was one who seemed to manage to stay on the field and not become a shadow of himself at advanced ages - others like McGrath worked out great times to retire, you have to wonder if Steyn should have retired already

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't think he's universally held in the regard he should be - his record is pretty incredible - perhaps I am wrong, it has happened once or twice

Real shame he's hurt again - sad when great fast bowler's bodies start failing them - Hadlee was one who seemed to manage to stay on the field and not become a shadow of himself at advanced ages - others like McGrath worked out great times to retire, you have to wonder if Steyn should have retired already

I think he should have retired the last time he went down. I understand wanting to go out on your terms obviously, but I think his legacy would have been a lot stronger. He hasn't been the same bowler for a while now, which isn't to say he hasn't been very good its just his fitness

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Hadlee started missing games in 1988 (after THAT 1987/88 Aus tour) and 1989 before comming back from injury for his stellar finale in 1989/90 and 90.

Hadlee was a fairly good guage late in career of whether he could bowl 20 overs in a day - if he thought he could bowl 20 - he would play.

JJ

Immortal
Hadlee started missing games in 1988 (after THAT Melbourne test) and 1989 before comming back from injury for his stellar finale.

Hadlee was a fairly good guage late in career of whether he could bowl 20 overs in a day - if he thought he could bowl 20 - he would play.
I know he missed tests - but as you say when he played his still bowled at a high level - and from memory didn't break down - but he too had his share of injuries

Remarkable bowler though, pretty ordinary for the first 1/3 of his career, then other worldly

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I know he missed tests - but as you say when he played his still bowled at a high level - and from memory didn't break down - but he too had his share of injuries

Remarkable bowler though, pretty ordinary for the first 1/3 of his career, then other worldly

89 vs Pakistan he broke down. Pretty sure he broke down at some point in 84/85 in WI which lead to Chatfield's finest hour with the ball. And of course vs England in 87/88.

So pretty tough. Only a short run up tho ;)

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I think he should have retired the last time he went down. I understand wanting to go out on your terms obviously, but I think his legacy would have been a lot stronger. He hasn't been the same bowler for a while now, which isn't to say he hasn't been very good its just his fitness

I'm not sure I agree. Safrica dropped Pollock before giving him a retirement farewell and Steyn is on notice this summer that Morkel's form and his own missed games has Morkel ranked to play ahead of Steyn. He obviously wants to play and looks like he still has alot to offer.

It may be sad for his diehard fans to see him as 12th man a lot over the next few years - but if he is prepared to stay available for Safrica - I tip my hat to him. A lot of greats retire 'cos they don't like the reserves bench or risking their immaculate stats with diminished performances. I think its admirable the guys who just keep on trucking and keeping their national team depth strong.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Morkel is just as likely to get injured as Steyn. And more likely to lose his form

Morkel wasn't even in the team plans until Abbott defected and Steyn got injured, but he's had a helluva good year.

He often slower now, but can still crank it up, but far less loose balls of late. He's not as good as peak Steyn, but he is in good form run of Vintage Morkel of late.

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
Just great to see arrogant Indians scurrying like cockroaches back into their holes when their team is copping a hiding....

Timbo

Staff member
Don't look now, the Yaarpie choke is on.

You had one f**king job South Africa.

TheParraboy

Staff member
7/119

190 ahead 3 wickets left

india a chance

if SA can get 250+, then they may be slight favourites
AB still there

Eelectrica

Referee
Nice to know SA can have a collapse almost as good as any we could come up with. 8 for 65 is pretty impressive.