What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 to 1 - Australian songs

choc_soldier

Coach
They had that 20 to 1 show on Channel 9 tonight, and they were counting down the top 20 songs (within the last 50 years).

Friday On My Mind by The Easybeats was number 1.

The others (in no particular order - working off the top of my mind here) were:

Land Down Under - Men At Work
I Still Call Australia Home - Peter Allen
Australiana - Austentayshus (sp?)
Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
Long Way To The Top - AC/DC
You Just Like Me 'Cos I'm Good In Bed - Skyhooks
Howzat - Sherbert
Georgie Girl - The Seekers
Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
Help Is On The Way - Little River Band
You're The Voice - John Farnham
Working Class Man - Jimmy Barnes
Khe Sanh - Cold Chisel
Eagle Rock - Daddy Cool
Shout - Johnny O'Keefe
I Honestly Love You - Olivia Newton John
Locomotion - Kylie Minogue
Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil

choc_soldier

Coach
I honestly have no idea what motivated the compilation of that list - some of them are shocking inclusions. The series is related to television, so that may hold a clue...

What's the go with all those stupid comments by the Nine people? I don't care what that guy from backyard blitz says about anything and why does Matty Johns'opinion of the Easy Beats matter?!?!?

It is very bad Nine personality, plus Pauline Hanson, a surf champion and WEndy Harmer.

Old Bud has an easy job too, he doesn't do anything.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Natalie Ambruglia has got me beat, whenever me or some of the people I know hear that song, they either say its an ok song, nothing to rave on about or they tell you turn that sh*tt off. So how is a great Australian song.

I'd put Silverchair, Billy Thorpe, The Angels, ahead of that song.

And AC/DC's Its a long way to the top, was at number 12. Shouldve been placed higher.

I know its ridiculous how they put people on their that have nothing to do with it, but Matt Johns is funny with his opinions.

Matt23

Staff member
Agreed Natalie Imbruglia, wtf, ditto Skyhooks, i know the song was controversial at the time but still...

SP

Bench
where's The Church's Unguarded moment

and funny it has a kiwi band in there too

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I thought Living in the 70s and Women In Uniform were bigger hits.

Austuntascias (spelling) was a good one.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
SP said:
and funny it has a kiwi band in there too

Well so they say, Neill Finn and some other bloke were the only Kiwis, the rest were Aussies, recorded their songs in Australia.

les norton

First Grade
Didnt they say Torn was originally release by some crap american band....how can it be in the top 20 aussie songs then? What a joke?

NPK

Bench
bullsh*t list really. There aren't any artists with more than 1 song in the top 20, which is bullsh*t.

lotti

Bench
What no Delta, she'll be glad that Olivia made the list. Eagle Rock is there hehe Manly's theme song, my sister will be glad about Beds are Burning(from their Diesel and Dust album) a song about Aboriginal Land Rights.

bartman

Immortal
Sounds like a crap TV show? Lists are always hard, because everyone's will be different. And I've no idea what criteria they were using But there are a few good/worthy songs there...

Some other classic songs should be on a list my opinion:
The Church - Under The Milky Way
Paul Kelly - To Her Door
Weddings Parties Anything - Father's Day
Hunters and Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me

All were chart singles and award winners at the time. Personally I think each band had songs that were better, but not as well-known or popular, so probably unlikely to make a list-type thing ahead of the likes of Peter Allen, Olivia, LRB, Imbruglia etc?

Latest posts