What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 Raiders Line-up

Kris_man

Bench
OK tell me Chippo, what are the advantages in having Terry Martin in the 17? What will he, or can he, contribute to the side? i think we already have too many players like him, who cart the ball up hard, defend reasonably and don't do much else: Ian Hindmarsh, Michael Hodgson, Josh Miller, even Rhino's like that nowadays. we're short on pure size and intimidation - which Cross can offer. not only that, but if Martin is picked ahead of Cross, then we're gonna have to use Miller or Hodgson as back-up props, which i don't think is for the best. it's nice to see, though, that we all agree on keeping the literally good-for-nothing Troy Thompson out of the team.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Ok now that Mclindens gone he's my updated side (Done this about 10 times ;-) )

01.Schif
02.Graham
03.Ale/Mogg-If Ale's trial form matches his JF form then he gets the nod for me.
04.Frawley
05.Chalk
06.SMith
07.Carney-HAS TO BE!!
08.O'hara
09.Woolford (c)
10.Weyman
11.Hindmarsh
12.Adamson
13.Croker

14.Miller
15.Cross
16.Kahler/Hodgson
17.Withers

I think this mixes youth with experience. I also think there is NO CHANCE IN HELL we will see this side in 2005 but it's still the one I would go for.

NOTES:

1. To be honest with you I think Withers is a better option then Woolford at hooker but i'm sticking with Germ because of the loyalty and service he has provided for the club. I would almost have Withers and Woolford on the park for even amounts of time during matches.

2. Graham is one of our best attacking outside backs and to be cometitve against the top teams next year we need to score points. Chalk is rewarded for his great end of season form.

3. At first I thought Ale would be too young but the guy is pushing 20. He has made it clear he is aiming for a first grade spot. I think if his trial form is good he should get one of the spots. Having said this Elliot see's Mogg as his backline Messiah and therefore he will be the secong back chosen after Schif.

4.Carney starts at halfback. Nuff said.

5. Weyman needs to start alongside O'hara. Rhino really needs to lift. Cross on the bench works for me. I'm still waiting for him to capture the form he displayed against the roosters.

6. I'm a big fan of Hodgson and in many ways I have similar feelings for him as I had for Macca. When in form he's great but too many times he is either injured or carrying an injury. Kahler came here with big wraps being part of that famous "baby Bronocs" side. I think he is the better long term prospect but having said this Hoddgson should get first crack at a bench spot. Kahler is more of a prop too whereas Hodsgon is more a backrower.

Kris_man

Bench
Tidus, once again your words echo my thoughts. the way you've got Kahler in there, good stuff :clap: the only thing i can disagree with is how to play Kahler - to me, he's not a prop at all, he's the perfect model for a back rower.

thickos

First Grade
The season draw comes out this afternoon. :clap:

if someone finds it soon, post it and I will sticky it.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Kris_man said:
Tidus, once again your words echo my thoughts. the way you've got Kahler in there, good stuff :clap: the only thing i can disagree with is how to play Kahler - to me, he's not a prop at all, he's the perfect model for a back rower.

I think he's one of those players that can play both. Similar to Luke Bailey at the Dragons.

Kris_man

Bench
no way man, Kahler is much leaner than Luke Bailey, and a hell of a lot faster. playing Kahler at prop to me is like playing Mick Hodgson at prop - it just doesn't look right.

Updated Team:-

1. Schifcofske (Hopefully back to his best)
2. Chalk (I'm keen to see how this guy lives to his late 04 form in 2005)
3. Mogg
4. Frawley (I'm Excited about this bloke)
5. Graham :clap:
6. Smith
7. Carney
8. O'Hara
9. Woolford
10. Weyman (Maybe Adamson for the first few rounds)
11. Adamson
12. Hindmarsh
13. Croker

14. Miller
15. Hodgson
16. Kahler
17. Withers (I rate this guy equal and if not higher than Woolford and I'd like to see alot of gametime for Lincoln!)

Reserves

The likes of Cross, Rothery, Campese, Ale

Kris_man

Bench
My post-Mclinden/Withers team:

1. Schifcofske
2. Chalk
3. Frawley
4. Graham
5. Mogg
6. Smith
7. Withers (move to hooker after 25-30 minutes)
8. O'Hara
9. Woolford (goes off when Lincoln moves here)
10. Cross
11. Adamson
12. Hindmarsh
13. Croker

14. Miller
15. Hodgson
16. Weyman
17. Carney (move to halfback when Woolford goes off)

NOTES:
O'Hara's front row partner was my most difficult choice. I really don't believe that Hodgson is a prop, simply not big enough, and I'm not sure if Adamson, another back-rower, is the right man for the job either - has he ever even played front row? Ben Cross has started a number of first grade games at prop, so i put him there instead of the bench. He'll have a short spell for Weyman to come on after about 10-15 minutes.

I think that is pretty much the team that Elliott will go with, except swapping Graham and Mogg, and having Troy Thompson instead of Ben Cross. There's a good chance of Robbo being picked too, at the expense of either Chalk or Graham. Campese might be there ahead of Carney, as Elliott believes that size does matter. What he'd be likely do, if Campo is on the bench, is move Smith to the back row, Campo to 5/8 and leave Withers at halfback.

SOULS 04

Juniors
i'm really worried about j smith at 5/8

is he gonna have the speed or are we just relying on him to put the outside backs through gaps?

DJ Raida

Bench
Kris_man said:
My post-Mclinden/Withers team:

1. Schifcofske
2. Chalk
3. Frawley
4. Graham
5. Mogg
6. Smith
7. Withers (move to hooker after 25-30 minutes)
8. O'Hara
9. Woolford (goes off when Lincoln moves here)
10. Cross
11. Adamson
12. Hindmarsh
13. Croker

14. Miller
15. Hodgson
16. Weyman
17. Carney (move to halfback when Woolford goes off)

NOTES:
O'Hara's front row partner was my most difficult choice. I really don't believe that Hodgson is a prop, simply not big enough, and I'm not sure if Adamson, another back-rower, is the right man for the job either - has he ever even played front row? Ben Cross has started a number of first grade games at prop, so i put him there instead of the bench. He'll have a short spell for Weyman to come on after about 10-15 minutes.

I think that is pretty much the team that Elliott will go with, except swapping Graham and Mogg, and having Troy Thompson instead of Ben Cross. There's a good chance of Robbo being picked too, at the expense of either Chalk or Graham. Campese might be there ahead of Carney, as Elliott believes that size does matter. What he'd be likely do, if Campo is on the bench, is move Smith to the back row, Campo to 5/8 and leave Withers at halfback.
when does withers get a break? and i thought u made the thread about NOT starting withers @ half

Mulch

Juniors
Personally I think Terry Martin, Troy Thompson and Tryon Smith are all a waste of time and space. At the start of every season, everyone says this is going to be Tyron Smiths year. He necer performs. I would rather Matt Elliott played Ben Cross, Josh Miller or Kris Kahler than the 3 players above.

Raider Azz

Bench
Check out this quote from the same forum Edwahu linked us to:
Watch out for a guy i know to play fullback for the Raiders next season. His name is Damon Alley-Tovio. He has played a dozen or so first grade games at Souths and the Raiders snapped him up for big dollars with even bigger performance incentives.

He still holds an SG Ball Record 10 tries in a game I think.

Look out for him to star soon.
:-k