What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Good start. With BNE v BUL @ Sunky and WES v SOU @ Telly we should have a decent round. Even 18k at DFS would be nice.

JW

Coach
To everyone predicting a huge turnout in Brisbane - as much as I hope you're right, I highly doubt the crowd will be anywhere near some of the figures being suggested. Particularly because historically Saturday nights are not the best timeslot for drawing crowds to Lang Park, for whatever reason.

And although Brisbane's crowds have been "solid" and more consistant across the board compared to previous seasons, so far we've lacked the odd bigger crowd. Granted, we're averaging roughly the same as we were at the same time last season, but as has been the case across the competition so far this year, I don't expect the larger crowds to come just yet.

Here's hoping at least 30,000 show up anyway. However, i'm tipping only about 24-26,000.

Brutus

Referee
Play that Bulldogs v Brisbane game later in the year on a Sunday and you have a sell-out.

Do the Broncos play the Dragons later in the year at Lang Park? We could see a sell-out for that one.

Ghoulies

Bench
Brutus said:
Do the Broncos play the Dragons later in the year at Lang Park? We could see a sell-out for that one.
Round 15, Friday Night after Origin 2 (I'm sure that it'll be Ekka week too).

JW

Coach
Brutus said:

Round 15 on a Friday night at Suncorp.

Only problem is that its on 2 nights after Origin 2, which is also being held at Suncorp. Awesome scheduling #-o

Brutus

Referee
JW said:
Round 15 on a Friday night at Suncorp.

Only problem is that its on 2 nights after Origin 2, which is also being held at Suncorp. Awesome scheduling #-o

The genius who came up with that ought to be shot.

Looks like the Broncos won't top the 30k average this year.

JW

Coach
Agreed Brutus, it'll take some getting I think. Hopefully it won't be too far under 30,000 though.

So far this round:

23,256 @ Newcastle
16,971 @ Townsville
30,589 @ Brisbane
9,490 @ Toyota Park

Avg - 20,076

yakstorm

First Grade
23,256 @ EnergyAustralia
16,971 @ Dairy Farmers
30,589 @ Suncorp
9,490 @ Toyota Park
7,899 @ Olympic Park
13,044 @ Parramatta
13,460 @ Telstra

Total: 114,709
Average: 16,387

Its at least above the 16K average mark...

camsmith

Juniors
wow under 10,000 at toyota?

In the heartland of Rugby League.. gee Melbourne aren't too bad afterall.

Timmah

Staff member
All crowd stats and home averages updated in post #1 up to the end of R12.

ali

Bench
camsmith said:
wow under 10,000 at toyota?

In the heartland of Rugby League.. gee Melbourne aren't too bad afterall.

Very poor from Cronulla. Last year we were getting 12,000 minimum for the teams who didn't bring many away fans. By the way, I've always been a big defender of the Warriors crowds in Sydney. I think in the past they've copped undue sh*t for not having many fans in Sydney. In fact it has been the opposite with far better away support for the Warriors than nearly all the interstate teams. It's the fans of the home team who don't show up when they play the Warriors. But last night was piss poor. Easily the least Warriors fans I've seen at a Cronulla game and they could of got in for $10 with a Kiwi passport.

Timmah

Staff member
f**k me.

R13 crowds?

Saints v Parra @ Hoki Fish Portions 18k
Melb v ..... 8.5k
Dogs v Newie @ WhiteElephant 19k
Canbo v Soufs @ Snowfield 7k
NZ v Brissy @cross the ditch 12k
Penny v Manly @ LotsOfLetters 14k
Westies v Northies @ WhiteElephant 25k

yakstorm

First Grade
Despite over 17K worth of tickets being sold, thanks to the weather and lack of cover at Oki Jubilee, the crowd was recorded at 9,075.

An unfortunate outcome....

Copa

Bench
yakstorm said:
Despite over 17K worth of tickets being sold, thanks to the weather and lack of cover at Oki Jubilee, the crowd was recorded at 9,075.

An unfortunate outcome....
some people on here actually think the lack of cover is nostalgic and what the fans want....

Timmah

Staff member
That crowd figure is an absolute load of bull. There were at least 13,000 there, AT LEAST. Despite rain 60-70% of the actual seating was filled, and while it was spread on the hill, it was still chockas. 9075 my ass.

Timmah said:
That crowd figure is an absolute load of bull. There were at least 13,000 there, AT LEAST. Despite rain 60-70% of the actual seating was filled, and while it was spread on the hill, it was still chockas. 9075 my ass.

It may have looked like that on TV, but if you were at the ground it was quite clear that 9,000 was about right.

The grandstand was more-or-less full - 2,500
A few brave souls on the concourses - 2,000
Hill looked more full than it was because of umbrellas etc - 4,500

At least, that was my take on it.

-----------------------------

Where did the 17k tickets being sold thing come from?
I don't doubt it, but I would be interested in the source.

Latest posts