What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

Nook

Bench
Terrible weather, can't expect any better when its been pissing down for weeks.

That and the mixed form of the Sydney clubs are killing us a bit this year.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Before this weekend Sydney clubs were averaging 15,368 at home compared to out of Sydney 16,503 which isn't to much of a difference. Remember in 1983 the comp averaged 6,500. To say crowds are bad when we average about 16,000 shows the strength of the game, though I can remember a few years back a big game the ground would be bursting now big games you can always see empty seats, TV and time slots have had a major influence this year.
The NRL should be pushing for all clubs to have first class facilities, stadiums which hold 20,000 to 25,000. Penrith, Leichhardt, Kogarah, Cronulla have all had major investments put into them which is a huge step in the right direction, Manly needs money spent on their ground. The NRL needs to follow the AFL and develop a culture of being at the game, but then again they are driven by self interest and TV.

Nook

Bench
Self interest as in getting money for the game.

It's a tricky balance but the television audience is as crucial commercially for the game in a general sense as attendances.

As you say, crowd averages now are some of the best of all time. The fact that there is a bit of dissapointment around is pleasing - standards are high. Things will pick up in the run towards the finals as a few teams begin to stand out and the finals hype takes off.

Medium term I think that the targetted average for Sydney clubs should be 16,000 - 18,000. That's obviously going to vary for some clubs during some years but if we are consistently averaging towards the top end of that bracket the game will be going very well.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Self interest as News Ltd are part owners of the game and Foxtel. Yes TV income is our major revenue source but I don't believe we got the best deal possible, how could we when the people selling the game are also the people buying it. Compare this to the AFL who are run independantly from the buyers, also, our deal was virtually done and dusted in a week whilst the AFL's went for months and was openly discussed in the media. You know who got the best deal?

I was one of the 9,422 at Penrith. I'm not sure you could expect too many more than that, because conditions were pretty bad. Not nearly as bad as Kogarah last weekend though.

How they came up with the 9,422 figure on the other hand is beyond me. No turnstiles, no tickets issued. The cashier's machines with which they took my money couldn't have been wired up to add it all. Hmmmmm.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Crowds have not only been down in the last 2 weeks it has been all year, up to and including round 13 only 5 rounds have been up on last year including the first three of the year, so of the last 10 rounds only 2 have been up on 2005.
The trend is obvious.

wittyfan

Referee
Tim Gilbert was at Parramatta Stadium during the Footy Show and said that today was very cold and the best place to watch the game was at home on the couch.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
wittyfan said:
Tim Gilbert was at Parramatta Stadium during the Footy Show and said that today was very cold and the best place to watch the game was at home on the couch.
d***h***

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Coldest June Sydney day in a number of years if I'm not mistaken.

camsmith

Juniors
About 5000 at parra they say????

Oi Denis Fitzgerald... forget about kicking Storm out of the league... lets start with your pathetic team.

Lets blame the weather.. the lack of away side fans.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
MAN v WES @ Brookvale 11,588
PEN v STG @ Penrith 9,422
NQL v CRO @ DFS 16,778
SOU v BRI @ Telstra 6,537
Tot: 44,324
Avg: 11,081

SYD v NZW @ Aussie 6,000
PAR v MEL @ Parra 5,000
Approx Tot: 55,326
Approx Avg: 9,221

f**k I hope we get a decent figure tomorrow.

t-ba

Post Whore
camsmith said:
Freezing at the MCG yesterday... still 42,000 came along.

Good on them...AFL Crowds are down this year though...As were the S12 crowds.

Who knows? General malaise? people tightening their purse straps :)lol: . In a country that spends $1.20 for every additional $1.00 it earns, I can't see that being the problem...)?

Maybe it has something to do with the 'Soccer' Word. Crowds were down for the 2002 season as well.

wittyfan

Referee
The winter of 2002 was a cold one. I had chicken pox then and the very cold temperatures played havoc with my fever.

Latest posts