What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

gottabegood

Juniors
I think that you should never underestimate the impact of the division that has occured within Rugby, league and union. A hell of a lot of people are influenced at an early age, particularly on the union side to, to snub one of the codes.
If there was only one Rugby eg League, that was allowed to evolve over the last 100 yrs, with full backing (i.e Union contacts, corporate world advantage and know how, no banning in armed forces and unis etc etc etc), you would have to wonder where would AFL be today, probably a hell of a lot smaller.
In Melbourne you had no such division......

c_eagle

Juniors
Rugby League is a toughened street brawler with impeccable survival skills. The problem is, it NEEDS to fight, that's the nature of the beast. During time of peace, it turns inwards.

Surandy

Bench
Great crowd figures for Canberra last weekend, a lot more Storm supporters there than I would've expected.

As the question was asked though, where the hell have all these Canberra supporters been throughout the rest of the year?

As for Storm's game this weekend, 16k.

*Paul*

Juniors
We're like the majority of league supporters, we can't be bothered showing up - it's just not what league people do.

Which after I written that, I see a few above have said more or less the same.

t-ba

Post Whore
lockyno1 said:
Actually tend to agree Timmah. When your team is not playing, sitting at home watching the footy over a few beers is perfect. What I don't understand is not going to the game when your team IS playing when you can make the trip to the game. It only costs $20! I make no secret thatthere are a few games that even if my team is playing I just would not attend for personal reasons but I try to get to as many games as humanly possible.

$20?

Jeezus, The major airlines would love to know who does your hedging for Jet Fuel...

Ice777

Bench
Timmah said:
That's the problem mate... AFL isn't watched on the box, it's watched at the ground. RL is the reverse - sensational armchair value.

AFL is watched on the box as well as watched at the ground. Ratings are down this year but that's what happens when the entire fixture is settled months before the season starts. It's great to know exactly what day or night your team is playing, but for tv stations it's a bit of a nightmare. They have to pretty much guess which teams will go well in 6 months time and which matches they think will rate. You only have to look at the thread where everyone was asked to guess the ladder positions in2005 for this year to see how hard it is :lol:

This season has seen many prime time games they thought would be blockbusters well down on projected figures because the competing teams were near the bottom when they thought they'd be going much better, hence a big reason for the ratings being down.

Anyway while i know sport is good to watch on tv, as i mentioned earlier i'll never understand why anyone would rather watch it on the box when they have the chance to be there live. Each to their own i know but i'll take being at the game anytime at all.

ledzep

Bench
the tele reports few tickets left at Suncorp, Dairy Farmers, Leichhardt and Olympic Park

phonetic

Juniors
The telegraph has been doing that a lot lately. I don't think it should be taken into account. They said there were few tickets for the Saints/Tigers match a few weeks ago, but they had less than 15k turn up.

I very much doubt that there'd be 'few' tickets left for Suncorp, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

ledzep

Bench
That's from ticketek for Suncorp:
Availability:
gold Alloc. Exhausted
maroon Available
blue Available
blue unlic Single seats only
white Available
white unlic Single seats only
away team supp Available

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
R26: Honest opinion, with Storm interest peaking:

Cowboys vs Eels @ Dairy Farmers - 20,000
Sharks vs Raiders @ Toyota - 7,500
Storm vs Manly @ Olympic Park - 17,500
Roosters vs Dragons @ S.C.G. - 16,900
Panthers vs Bulldogs @ Penrith - 14,500
Tigers vs Rabbitohs @ Leichhardt - 21,000
Brisbane vs Warriors @ Suncorp - 39,000

Total: 136,400
Average: 19,486

Meaning our final totals:

Total 2006: 2,806,865
2006 Average Crowd: 15,594

Or something like that :D

Brutus

Referee
I must admit, the Storm crowd tonight looked bigger than the Broncos game earlier in the season which was over 15k.

ledzep

Bench
especially compared to the a-league crowd of 15k last week, where the main grandstand was only about one third full

Yeh, i thought there looked to be at least 15K there tonight. Bit of a shock when the crowd was announced to be perfectly honest.

vlad

juniors
roosterbooster1 said:
especially compared to the a-league crowd of 15k last week, where the main grandstand was only about one third full

the a-league got 39,730 to their game in melbourne tonight .