What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

lockyno1

Post Whore
Timmah said:
2006 Telstra Premiership
St George Illawarra 8 Parramatta 1
OKI Jubilee Stadium
Crowd: 9,075
Halftime: 0-0.

So you hate league now do you locky? Farkwit.

Hop back in your limo Robinson Crusoe. :arrow:

It ended 8-1 thought. That is a heck of a lot more points than a game of snoozefest soccer would have.

ouwet

Bench
lockyno1 said:
It ended 8-1 thought. That is a heck of a lot more points than a game of snoozefest soccer would have.

Rugby League and Soccer are the greatest two sports IMO!!!
AFL And Union on the other hand:crazy:

eels_fan_01

Bench
Who cares bout soccer, this is nrl crowds thread.

Just wondering what average would we need this week to beat last years crowd like over the whole year? I know it would have to be pretty high.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I guess we cant get better crowds ever season after season, oh well. I still think we can get the best averages next year with Gold Coast in it im expecting good crowds from them even if there not a top side.

I guess many factors contributed to this seasons fall the main ones i can think of is Souths poor form, Warriors being deducted four points, Eels poor start, Roosters poor season and Broncos got to many Saturday night games.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Cowboys vs Eels @ Dairy Farmers - 19,000
Sharks vs Raiders @ Toyota - 7,000
Storm vs Manly @ Olympic Park - 13,500
Roosters vs Dragons @ S.C.G. - 17,000
Panthers vs Bulldogs @ Penrith - 12,500
Tigers vs Rabbitohs @ Leichhardt - 16,000
Brisbane vs Warriors @ Suncorp - 39,000

eels_fan_01

Bench
Even though im not sure how many tickets Broncos have sold id expect a sell out, with all the kiwis up there and maybe Webckes final game at Suncorp. The rest of the crowds would be pretty accurate i think. Hopefully Melbourne can get a big crowd considering they should all want to see Orford die.

Ice777

Bench
eels_fan_01 said:
I guess we cant get better crowds ever season after season, oh well. I still think we can get the best averages next year with Gold Coast in it im expecting good crowds from them even if there not a top side.

I guess many factors contributed to this seasons fall the main ones i can think of is Souths poor form, Warriors being deducted four points, Eels poor start, Roosters poor season and Broncos got to many Saturday night games.

I can understand what you're saying, but every year there's teams having a poor season, a bad start and sit in the bottom half of the ladder so that would contribute to lower crowd numbers in other years as well. The thing that kills rugby league is that a very large portion of fans in Sydney would much rather stay home and watch it on Foxtel or channel 9 than actually go to the game and it kills crowd figures.

I don't understand that thinking, i like watching my sport on tv, if i have a chance to be there at the game i'll go along to support my team. There's nothing quite like being there.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Ice777 said:
I can understand what you're saying, but every year there's teams having a poor season, a bad start and sit in the bottom half of the ladder so that would contribute to lower crowd numbers in other years as well. The thing that kills rugby league is that a very large portion of fans in Sydney would much rather stay home and watch it on Foxtel or channel 9 than actually go to the game and it kills crowd figures.

I don't understand that thinking, i like watching my sport on tv, if i have a chance to be there at the game i'll go along to support my team. There's nothing quite like being there.

I agree with you mate, i dont understand either. I love to watch Eels play but i really like to see any first grade matches.

Ive been to nearly all eels home games and nearly all the away games in NSW. Ive also gone to many Sharks games because my mate follows them.

I think Warriors being ducted the 4 points was a hugh let downs in crowds, when Warriors play like they did this year in previous years they have got good crowds but NZ fans basically didnt give them hope of making it. I know that all years there are bad teams who have bad starts but seriously the Eels and Roosters were shocking compared to the high teams, it seemed like they could never beat them even playing their best. Its only now that people have actually starting believing anyone in the 8 can win the comp. No offence to you but im just saying i always thought it would be great if storm could get good crowds which they have to put up our average but we still didnt brake it.

yakstorm

First Grade
The Roosters crowds were shocking right from the very start....

Despite winning their first game they only drew:
- 10,841 v Melbourne
- 9,826 v Canberra

Now I know people say that both those teams aren't high drawing opposition, but come on for the first home game of the season, the fans should be excited and easy to draw to the match.

Sharks did the same, they only drew 14,221 for a testimonal to Steve Rogers and against Brisbane for their first home game...now that game should of seen Toyota Park packed to the rafters....

But again thats been the issue in 2006, it hasn't been the fans haven't wanted to watch the football, its been the NRL clubs just expected everyone to turn up, and that they didn't have to do any work to get them in.

The wet weather didn't help, but at the same time, there were a lot of games which could of drawn a lot more fans which didn't just due to laziness.

Lantana

Juniors
i think last year we had;

* the mid to late season surge of the bottom teams
* Newcastle running last and still averaging close to 20,000
* Not so many freezing cold nights (poor excuse but legitimate)
* Tigers feel good story
* Dragons return to revamped Kogarah

and there was definately more activity in the local area promotion wise.

I think we should also look at who is in the marketing departments at most clubs and realise...therse guys focus is selling Suites and obtaining sponsorship.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Penrith will get 15k minimum. It's the grand opening of the new facilities, and when I booked my ticket today there were single seats only remaining in the Grandstand.

I think the cost of living and it's increase have had a lot to do with the attendance averages going down. Having said that I've been to around 30 games this year, a figure I've never been able to before.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
in my opinion it sthe fact that there is not a footy culture in sydney, like in melb people make it a point to go and see games, like its the eqivalent of going to the movies, but in sydney that simply doesnt happen, my main reasons for not attending as much games as i would like to is the fact that i would be forced to go alone, most of my mates dont like footy enough to come to games.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's the problem mate... AFL isn't watched on the box, it's watched at the ground. RL is the reverse - sensational armchair value.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Actually tend to agree Timmah. When your team is not playing, sitting at home watching the footy over a few beers is perfect. What I don't understand is not going to the game when your team IS playing when you can make the trip to the game. It only costs $20! I make no secret thatthere are a few games that even if my team is playing I just would not attend for personal reasons but I try to get to as many games as humanly possible.

Latest posts