What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Tri-Nations Opener At Eden Park?

Green Machine

First Grade
Polynesian Warrior said:
Thanks for telling us that the rain once again was to blame ;-)

Where would you be Turdy, without one of your silly smiley, winking eye, face's on each of your replies.
Polynesian Warrior said:
It just show that the crowds at Carlaw Park decrease before the 1988 RLWC .
I suppose if you go on pure attendance figures Turdy, not ground capacity and standard of facilities, Turdy.
Polynesian Warrior said:
NZRL has had test matches played outside of Auckland before you were even born Brumby.
Did I say there was no tests outside Auckland years before Turdy. I think I said on a previous post, Pre 1988 most Rugby League tests were played at Carlaw Park, and I asked you post 1988 how many test were played outside Auckland? Remember Turdy, because you did not know how many Test were played at Carlaw Park, Post 1988.

We all know that Auckland is the stronghold of Rugby League in New Zealand, Turdy. My point was Turdy, that by the late 80’s that Wellington and Christchurch had become an option for the NZRL instead of all games exclusively at Carlaw Park, whereas in the 70’s and 80’s Kiwi games were played at Carlaw Park.
Polynesian Warrior said:
Maybe you and I will never know the reason why the NZRL decide not to use Carlaw Park but from experience Carlaw Park has had its use by date expire before 1988 and it was a sh*t hole of a ground .
It takes a big man to admit he is wrong and congratulations to you Turdy for admitting you had no idea what arrangements the NZRL were entering into in 1988. So, the capacity in this old prehistoric ground would have been below 20,000 capacity, Turdy? So, would 14,500 in old dilapidated football ground like Carlaw Park on wet and windy afternoon be a good crowd Turdy?
Polynesian Warrior said:
The ARL/NZRL had an agreement with Mt Smart or the ARA who owned Mt Smart to relocate all test matches to Mt Smart because 90% of all rugby league supporters in Auckland lived in South Auckland ;-)
Silly wink again Turdy. That’s two in one reply. Gee you’re Smart Turdy, I would never have known that most Rugby League supporters live in South Auckland. You have all the big facts. Good to see you got something right on Rugby League Turdy.
So, the ARL/NZRL had an agreement with Mt Smart Turdy. Between1988-95, it did not seem like 90% of the Test matches were played at Mt Smart. It seemed a lot of matches were going at Wellington, Christchurch, Palmerston North, Rotarua. This latest admission kind blows your earlier theory out of the water about the NZRL playing their games at Carlaw Park because it is more economical that hiring another stadium. Out of the 16 matches you posted to my reply to post 1988 games only 5 were in Auckland,
Polynesian Warrior said:
Maybe if you had live in Auckland at time Brumby you will know about it . I even had my under 19 rugby league finals at Mt Smart .
Under 19 team my arse, Turdy.
Polynesian Warrior said:
Eden park had a capacity of 55,000 before 1987/88 Brumby . Im not sure what sort of crowd is needed to break even Brumby but I do know that no other sport have approach the Eden Park board to use Eden Park after the 1988 RLWC final .
Saying Eden had a capacity of 55,000 it about as relevant as saying the SCG had a capacity of 65,000 before 1987/88. So Turdy, you have no idea what the break even amount is to stage games at Eden Park , so why would you say:

"Do you think the NZRL would want to relocate any test matches to the 55,000 capacity Eden Park for a crowd of 15,000, lose money and pay rent for it when they own Carlaw Park"

Turdy, do you have any evidence that no other sports had approached the Eden Park Board to use Eden Park after the 1988 RLWC Final?

Woods99

Juniors
Wow, I have kind of lost track of the point here. What is it exactly? Are we predicting the crowd at a future rugby league international which might, or might not, happen?

Depending on how the NRL feels about it?

No winky face.

Green Machine said:
Where would you be Turdy, without one of your silly smiley, winking eye, face's on each of your replies.
[/font]
I suppose if you go on pure attendance figures Turdy, not ground capacity and standard of facilities, Turdy.

Did I say there was no tests outside Auckland years before Turdy. I think I said on a previous post, Pre 1988 most Rugby League tests were played at Carlaw Park, and I asked you post 1988 how many test were played outside Auckland? Remember Turdy, because you did not know how many Test were played at Carlaw Park, Post 1988.

We all know that Auckland is the stronghold of Rugby League in New Zealand, Turdy. My point was Turdy, that by the late 80’s that Wellington and Christchurch had become an option for the NZRL instead of all games exclusively at Carlaw Park, whereas in the 70’s and 80’s Kiwi games were played at Carlaw Park.

It takes a big man to admit he is wrong and congratulations to you Turdy for admitting you had no idea what arrangements the NZRL were entering into in 1988. So, the capacity in this old prehistoric ground would have been below 20,000 capacity, Turdy? So, would 14,500 in old dilapidated football ground like Carlaw Park on wet and windy afternoon be a good crowd Turdy?

Silly wink again Turdy. That’s two in one reply. Gee you’re Smart Turdy, I would never have known that most Rugby League supporters live in South Auckland. You have all the big facts. Good to see you got something right on Rugby League Turdy.
So, the ARL/NZRL had an agreement with Mt Smart Turdy. Between1988-95, it did not seem like 90% of the Test matches were played at Mt Smart. It seemed a lot of matches were going at Wellington, Christchurch, Palmerston North, Rotarua. This latest admission kind blows your earlier theory out of the water about the NZRL playing their games at Carlaw Park because it is more economical that hiring another stadium. Out of the 16 matches you posted to my reply to post 1988 games only 5 were in Auckland,

Under 19 team my arse, Turdy.

Saying Eden had a capacity of 55,000 it about as relevant as saying the SCG had a capacity of 65,000 before 1987/88. So Turdy, you have no idea what the break even amount is to stage games at Eden Park , so why would you say:

"Do you think the NZRL would want to relocate any test matches to the 55,000 capacity Eden Park for a crowd of 15,000, lose money and pay rent for it when they own Carlaw Park"

Turdy, do you have any evidence that no other sports had approached the Eden Park Board to use Eden Park after the 1988 RLWC Final?

Brumby ! Do you think that NZRL moving its test matches around the country after 1988 has anything to do with the game not played at Eden Park ?

Between 1988 and 1998 there have only been two test matches played outside of the main cities in NZ (Rotorua, Palmerston North) .

Before the the 1988 RLWC I suggest that with crowds of less than 20,000 at Eden Park the NZRL would have loss money .
Do you think the NZRL would maney playing at Eden park with a crowd of 15,000 Brumby ?
At Wespac Stadium the Warriors have to have a crowd of 15,000 to break even Brumby .

Since there hasn't been a test match outside of QLD and NSW for a while . Do you suggest that its dying in Australia ?

Green Machine

First Grade
Polynesian Warrior said:
Brumby ! Do you think that NZRL moving its test matches around the country after 1988 has anything to do with the game not played at Eden Park ?
Yes, I think so Turdy. Considering that NZRL had last played a Test against Australia away from Carlaw Park, for the second, at the Basin Reserve in Wellington in 1953. I think they recognised that fans wanted to watch Rugby League in modern facilities.

Polynesian Warrior said:
Between 1988 and 1998 there have only been two test matches played outside of the main cities in NZ (Rotorua, Palmerston North) .

What is your point Turdy? From 1989-98, I can not remember a major Rugby League Test at Carlaw Park. Not Great Britain or Australia. Maybe France or PNG. In fact, Rugby League Tests in New Zealand against Australia were an improvement on the 70’s and 80’s attendance figures,

1989 New Zealand 6 V Australia 26 Christchurch 17,000
1989 New Zealand 8 V Australia 8 Rotorua 26,000
1989 New Zealand 14 V Australia 22 Auckland 15,000
1990 New Zealand 6 V Australia 24 Wellington 25,000
1993 New Zealand 14 V Australia 14 Auckland 22,994
1993 New Zealand 16 V Australia 8 Palmerston Nth 19,000

Polynesian Warrior said:
Before the the 1988 RLWC I suggest that with crowds of less than 20,000 at Eden Park the NZRL would have loss money .
Do you think the NZRL would maney playing at Eden park with a crowd of 15,000 Brumby ?
So it has gone from “I know” to “I suggest”. Maybe playing at a superb facility like Eden Park may have attracted more people than the usual jammed 15,000, from ground you called a sh*t hole.
Polynesian Warrior said:
At Wespac Stadium the Warriors have to have a crowd of 15,000 to break even Brumby .
Turdy, I was unaware that the Warriors have played a home game at Westpac Stadium.
Polynesian Warrior said:
Since there hasn't been a test match outside of QLD and NSW for a while . Do you suggest that its dying in Australia ?
NSW & Qld represents half the population of Australia’s 20 million people. Sorry Turdy, I’ve go no idea what you are alluding too. By the way, the NRL and ARL have a program to play a major match a year at the Telstra Dome, starting next year,

Green Machine said:
Yes, I think so Turdy. Considering that NZRL had last played a Test against Australia away from Carlaw Park, for the second, at the Basin Reserve in Wellington in 1953. I think they recognised that fans wanted to watch Rugby League in modern facilities.

What is your point Turdy? From 1989-98, I can not remember a major Rugby League Test at Carlaw Park. Not Great Britain or Australia. Maybe France or PNG. In fact, Rugby League Tests in New Zealand against Australia were an improvement on the 70’s and 80’s attendance figures,

1989 New Zealand 6 V Australia 26 Christchurch 17,000
1989 New Zealand 8 V Australia 8 Rotorua 26,000
1989 New Zealand 14 V Australia 22 Auckland 15,000
1990 New Zealand 6 V Australia 24 Wellington 25,000
1993 New Zealand 14 V Australia 14 Auckland 22,994
1993 New Zealand 16 V Australia 8 Palmerston Nth 19,000

So it has gone from “I know” to “I suggest”. Maybe playing at a superb facility like Eden Park may have attracted more people than the usual jammed 15,000, from ground you called a sh*t hole.

Turdy, I was unaware that the Warriors have played a home game at Westpac Stadium.

NSW & Qld represents half the population of Australia’s 20 million people. Sorry Turdy, I’ve go no idea what you are alluding too. By the way, the NRL and ARL have a program to play a major match a year at the Telstra Dome, starting next year,

Mt Smart was a modern facility at the time Brumby and have host soccer internationals and Athletics post 1988 .
Eden Park might have been a modern facility at the time but its a shi* place for parking and watching rugby .

Carlaw Park was not use because of it was a shi* hole of a place . Cities outside of the big three (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch) welcome international league matches between Australia and NZ .
Its like Perth or Adelaide would react when the ARL would finally grant them internationals test matches .

The Warriors and the Kiwi's have played at Wespac Stadium before and to break even they have to have at lease 15,000 fans there Brumby .

taipan

Referee
Woods99 said:
Wow, I have kind of lost track of the point here. What is it exactly? Are we predicting the crowd at a future rugby league international which might, or might not, happen?

Depending on how the NRL feels about it?

No winky face.
Lost the track? dont worry we will provide a compass.For a start its up to the NZRL and ARL not the NRL nice try funboy.
Reading the subject matter,the NZRL use of Eden Park for a test against Australia has been suggested next year. PW thinks its a problem surprise surprise and concerned that rugby league may lose money with not a full house.For Mr Nostrodamus the kiwis havent wont a test series for decades re[peat decades,until the last tri series(without the likes of stars Marshall and SBW).The depth of NZ players in the NRL is getting bigger,in today's Shire leader the Sharks now have a total of 22 NZ players in their graded/train on ranks.The Anzac test will be in Oz first and should they beat Australia,a decent crowd and no one knows whether it would be a sellout(obviously Woods99 fears that prospect),would track off to Eden Park. It would at least have an event status,and if they can get 20-23,000 at Ericsonn /or Nth Harbour when the Kiwis were not exactly world beaters,who is to say what the crowd would be at Eden Park and who knows what the cut off figure would be for a profit-PW and his union hangers on have no better idea than the rest of us.There is nothing wrong in thinking of bigger venues- a 30,000 -40,000 crowd at Eden Park would generate more funds than 18,000 at Ericsonn IMO>

russ13

First Grade
Actually the official crowd at 1988 RLWC Final played at Eden Park was 47,363.

Australia won 25-12.

Source-Rugby League World Cup-published by League Publications, 2000; pp. 121.

taipan said:
Lost the track? dont worry we will provide a compass.For a start its up to the NZRL and ARL not the NRL nice try funboy.
Reading the subject matter,the NZRL use of Eden Park for a test against Australia has been suggested next year. PW thinks its a problem surprise surprise and concerned that rugby league may lose money with not a full house.For Mr Nostrodamus the kiwis havent wont a test series for decades re[peat decades,until the last tri series(without the likes of stars Marshall and SBW).The depth of NZ players in the NRL is getting bigger,in today's Shire leader the Sharks now have a total of 22 NZ players in their graded/train on ranks.The Anzac test will be in Oz first and should they beat Australia,a decent crowd and no one knows whether it would be a sellout(obviously Woods99 fears that prospect),would track off to Eden Park. It would at least have an event status,and if they can get 20-23,000 at Ericsonn /or Nth Harbour when the Kiwis were not exactly world beaters,who is to say what the crowd would be at Eden Park and who knows what the cut off figure would be for a profit-PW and his union hangers on have no better idea than the rest of us.There is nothing wrong in thinking of bigger venues- a 30,000 -40,000 crowd at Eden Park would generate more funds than 18,000 at Ericsonn IMO>

Lets just wait and see Taipan if the Kiwi's can win in May and then they would have a good chance of selling out Albany Stadium or Ericsson ?
But alot of people on here were predicting sell out crowds for the second Tri-Nation match and didn't happen .

Brumby ! If the NZRL were intending to played test matches at modern facitilties after 1988.
Then Palmerston North, Rotorua and stadiums in Wellington and Chistchurch were even worst than Carlaw Park ;-)

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
Lets just wait and see Taipan if the Kiwi's can win in May and then they would have a good chance of selling out Albany Stadium or Ericsson ?
But alot of people on here were predicting sell out crowds for the second Tri-Nation match and didn't happen .

Brumby ! If the NZRL were intending to played test matches at modern facitilties after 1988.
Then Palmerston North, Rotorua and stadiums in Wellington and Chistchurch were even worst than Carlaw Park ;-)

You are basically repeating what I said,that it all depends on the may test,anycase at least NZedders know their team is stonger than it has been in the past and won a series.They did not win a series when they played at Ericsson this year,as it was only the early stages.Ericsonn is also positioned in an ordinary industrial area,whereas Eden Park is not.

taipan said:
You are basically repeating what I said,that it all depends on the may test,anycase at least NZedders know their team is stonger than it has been in the past and won a series.They did not win a series when they played at Ericsson this year,as it was only the early stages.Ericsonn is also positioned in an ordinary industrial area,whereas Eden Park is not.

Alot if kiwi's don't know that we won a series Taipan . Most of us know we won the Tri-Nations Final .
When they played at Ericsson they beaten Australia in Sydney for the first time since 1959 .
While I guest if you think this team that choke against GB and almost lost to France is stronger than past teams thats your opinion .
Ericsson Stadium is only a stone throw away from South Auckland and there's alot of pubs near by .
Eden park doesn't have car park and the nearest pub is probably 15 minutes away .

Kingbunny

Juniors
Polynesian Warrior said:
Alot if kiwi's don't know that we won a series Taipan . Most of us know we won the Tri-Nations Final .
When they played at Ericsson they beaten Australia in Sydney for the first time since 1959 .
While I guest if you think this team that choke against GB and almost lost to France is stronger than past teams thats your opinion .
Ericsson Stadium is only a stone throw away from South Auckland and there's alot of pubs near by .
Eden park doesn't have car park and the nearest pub is probably 15 minutes away .

Wrong again moron.

All Kiwi's know that the Kiwi's beat the Kangaroos in both a test series and the Tri-Nations, repeat both. The was also the way it was reported in all forms of media.

Ericsson is in an industrial area. Where are the pubs. Miles away. Probably the closest pub would be in Onehunga, at least 30min walk.

Eden Park has more pubs close by in the suburbs of Kingsland 5mins and Mt Eden 15 mins.

Once again, posting on things you have no idea about. ;-)

Bye, Bye Turdy! [-X

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
I am glad you speak as usual for a lot of kiwis,the result was front page news in Dominion Post Welliington and The Press Christchurch for starters,even the tiny Ashburton Guardian.So what a first up win against the Roos in Sydney,at that stage you can bet NZedders thought it a fluke.Winning the tri series mean they beat the roos more than once,making it a tad more reliable.I know where both grounds are situated, I have been driven around Eden Park by a NZ union fanatic .It has better facilities for a much larger crowd.You seem very upset at the thought there might be a decent crowd. If the crowd is poor you will let us all know jumping with glee,if there is a big crowd you will vanish as per usual.Ever thought of maybe giving France some credit,with semi pro players,they also played well against the roos.I suppose the roos choked against the kiwis.You cant have it both ways PW.When talking depth a NZ A team hammered an invitational Aussie side mixing tri nation squad members and junior kangaroos-all starring in the NRL.This was a curtain raiser to the 1st tri nations game..the depth in NZ is far greater now than when NZ last boasted a great national side in the 80s.If you cant see that thats your problem .Bennett ,Stuart,Mclennan,Noble ,Love think so ,but PW knows better.
When it come to hot air,you could fill a Branson balloon.

Green Machine

First Grade
Polynesian Warrior said:
Mt Smart was a modern facility at the time Brumby and have host soccer internationals and Athletics post 1988 .
Eden Park might have been a modern facility at the time but its a shi* place for parking and watching rugby .
So Turdy, in 1988, when Mt Smart Stadium had an athletics track around the outside, and the stands were a long way from the sidelines, Mt Smart Stadium had better viewing and facilities for Rugby League or Union than Eden Park?

Polynesian Warrior said:
Carlaw Park was not use because of it was a shi* hole of a place . Cities outside of the big three (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch) welcome international league matches between Australia and NZ .
Its like Perth or Adelaide would react when the ARL would finally grant them internationals test matches .
Oh Turdy, is that what you are getting at. So you are trying to discredit the crowd at Rotorua and Palmerston North. Tell me Turdy, how many hours drive is Rotorua from South Auckland or Palmerston North from Wellington?

Polynesian Warrior said:
The Warriors and the Kiwi's have played at Wespac Stadium before and to break even they have to have at lease 15,000 fans there Brumby .
Turdy, when did the Warriors play a home game at Westpac Stadium? Tell me Turdy, what kind of crowds did the Kiwis draw for Test Matches at Westpac Stadium?

Green Machine said:
So Turdy, in 1988, when Mt Smart Stadium had an athletics track around the outside, and the stands were a long way from the sidelines, Mt Smart Stadium had better viewing and facilities for Rugby League or Union than Eden Park?

Oh Turdy, is that what you are getting at. So you are trying to discredit the crowd at Rotorua and Palmerston North. Tell me Turdy, how many hours drive is Rotorua from South Auckland or Palmerston North from Wellington?

Turdy, when did the Warriors play a home game at Westpac Stadium? Tell me Turdy, what kind of crowds did the Kiwis draw for Test Matches at Westpac Stadium?

Brumby ! The distance between the stands and the playing field is bigger at Eden Park than Mt Smart Stadium becuase its a cricket ground .

Brumby ! I didn't discredit the crowds at Manuwatu and Rotorua, just the fact that both grounds were no better than Carlaw park was .

The Warriors have played at Wespac Stadium before Brumby . I don't have to do your homework for you brumby so why don't you tell us the crowds at Westpac ?

Lets just wait and see boys when Ericsson Stadium or Albany Stadium doesn't sell out for next years Tri-Nations .
But im sure you would have another great excuse for me then .;-)

Green Machine

First Grade
Polynesian Warrior said:
Brumby ! The distance between the stands and the playing field is bigger at Eden Park than Mt Smart Stadium becuase its a cricket ground .
Turdy, I was unaware there is a standard size for Cricket Grounds. I know in Australia the size of the MCG playing field is a lot bigger than the SCG. The Adelaide Oval is quite different again in having short boundaries square of the wicket and longer boundaries in front and behind the wicket. As a cricket buff, I watched the recent Chappell Hadlee Series and the commentators kept mentioning about how short the boundaries are square of the wicket at Eden Park because it is predominantly a Rugby Ground. To compare the playing field between Australian Athletics Stadiums and Cricket Grounds, I would say the SCG boundaries would be closer to a Rugby Field than say a Rugby field to the fence at the old Bruce Stadium or ANZ Stadium, Turdy.

Polynesian Warrior said:
Brumby ! I didn't discredit the crowds at Manuwatu and Rotorua, just the fact that both grounds were no better than Carlaw park was .
Yes you did Turdy. You said:

Polynesian Warrior said:
The Warriors have played at Wespac Stadium before Brumby .
The Warriors might have played at Westpac Stadium before Turdy, but you said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
I don't have to do your homework for you brumby so why don't you tell us the crowds at Westpac ?
You’re the one who threw the Kiwis into your mistruth about the Warriors have to have a crowd of 15,000 to break even at Westpac Stadium, Turdy. I wonder why the Kiwis would play a test at Westpac Stadium when, according to you, they could get Carlaw Park for free, and not having to worry about a 15,000 attendance. By the way, did the Kiwis get over 15,000 at Westpac Stadium Turdy?
Polynesian Warrior said:
Lets just wait and see boys when Ericsson Stadium or Albany Stadium doesn't sell out for next years Tri-Nations .
But im sure you would have another great excuse for me then .;-)
That’s nice. All your bullsh*t finished off with a winky face. You love the winky face when you are struggling, don’t you Turdy. I really don’t see what interest it would be to a Union Troll like your self, what kind of a crowd the Kiwis get to any venue in New Zealand next season. If you get off in putting sh*t on the New Zealand Rugby League with your mistruths, good luck to you, Turdy.

Woods99

Juniors
GM,

I have tried to get interested in this thread, just for old time's sake, but just cannot get into it.

Could you do a summary of the issues this far, for the rest of us?:?

Green Machine said:
Turdy, I was unaware there is a standard size for Cricket Grounds. I know in Australia the size of the MCG playing field is a lot bigger than the SCG. The Adelaide Oval is quite different again in having short boundaries square of the wicket and longer boundaries in front and behind the wicket. As a cricket buff, I watched the recent Chappell Hadlee Series and the commentators kept mentioning about how short the boundaries are square of the wicket at Eden Park because it is predominantly a Rugby Ground. To compare the playing field between Australian Athletics Stadiums and Cricket Grounds, I would say the SCG boundaries would be closer to a Rugby Field than say a Rugby field to the fence at the old Bruce Stadium or ANZ Stadium, Turdy.

Yes you did Turdy. You said:

The Warriors might have played at Westpac Stadium before Turdy, but you said:

You’re the one who threw the Kiwis into your mistruth about the Warriors have to have a crowd of 15,000 to break even at Westpac Stadium, Turdy. I wonder why the Kiwis would play a test at Westpac Stadium when, according to you, they could get Carlaw Park for free, and not having to worry about a 15,000 attendance. By the way, did the Kiwis get over 15,000 at Westpac Stadium Turdy?

That’s nice. All your bullsh*t finished off with a winky face. You love the winky face when you are struggling, don’t you Turdy. I really don’t see what interest it would be to a Union Troll like your self, what kind of a crowd the Kiwis get to any venue in New Zealand next season. If you get off in putting sh*t on the New Zealand Rugby League with your mistruths, good luck to you, Turdy.

Have you actually been to Eden Park and Mt Smart Stadium before Brumby ?
Eden park also host Athletics and the Commonwealth Games before .

The Warriors, Kiwi's, Bulldogs would have to have a crowd of 15,000 at Wespac to break even .
Maybe the NZRL use Wespac because Carlaw Park is no longer in service Brumby .
Whats 15,000 at Carlaw park got to do with 15,000 at Wespac ? Did the Kiwi's get over 15,000 at Ericsson this year Brumby ?

Easy Son ! If dreaming about the size of rugby league crowds around the world makes you feel better then so be it .
Im just here to bring down to earth man ;-)

screeny

Bench
The Warriors, Kiwi's, Bulldogs would have to have a crowd of 15,000 at Wespac to break even .

Prove it PW. Where's your proof? Evidence, link etc etc? Or are you the GM of Eden Westpac?

Screeny ! I think you might be a few years too late . There was an artical about the Raiders not playing a home game at Westpac Stadium again because of costs and the fact that you have to have a crowd of 15,000 to break even .
I think they only got 13,000 to their home game against the Warriors at Westpac Stadium and the probably the reason why the Bulldogs have pull the pin on Westpac .

Latest posts