What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Trials Thread *Updates*

Dog-E

Juniors
hillbillyjazzer1954 said:
go away you pea brained moron

we played half of our PL team and half of our NRL team,we never had our full NRL team on the field at any stage

And?...I think you'll find that's what EVERY club did. Not to mention giving most players lengthy spells during the games to combat the heat.

The man that places great importance on the actual result of any pre-season trial game - is a foolish man indeed. All you need do is be thankful that nobody gets injured, and the rest is all academic - just getting match fitness up, and giving any new/young players a bit of a feel for things under match conditions...that's all trials are.

Risa

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Young-Eels-beat-Storm-in-NRL-trial/2006/02/18/1140151850791.html

Young Eels beat Storm in NRL trial

February 18, 2006 - 9:44PM

Parramatta turned the tables on Melbourne with a 30-24 NRL trial win at Exies Oval in Griffith.

Having lost last week's opening trial match between the two sides in Ballina, the Eels jumped out to an early 16-0 lead and withstood a Storm fightback late in the match.

Both sides trotted out mostly lower grade outfits, with Greg Inglis and Brett White the only first grade regulars to play for the Storm.

Joel Reddy and Kris Inu scored two tries apiece for the Eels, for whom Matt Petersen and Brendan Oake also scored four-pointers.

The Storm managed to draw level 24-24 at three quarter time, but Oake's late try proved the difference in front of 6,831 fans.

Inglis nabbed a try and four goals to be the standout performer for the Storm.

Kiwi duo Jeremy Smith and Marcus Perenara impressed for the Eels, with Smith deputising at halfback for namesake Tim Smith.

Perenara was solid at hooker and may give Eels coach Brian Smith another option should regular rake Mark Riddell not overcome his ankle injury in time for the club's opening round clash against Newcastle on March 11.

---------

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Ross-stars-on-debut-at-Sharks-NRL-trial/2006/02/18/1140151850708.html

Ross stars on debut at Sharks NRL trial

Cronulla fans may not miss retired prop Jason Stevens as much as first thought after new recruit Ben Ross put in a promising performance in the Sharks 34-30 NRL trial win over the Bulldogs at Mollymook on the NSW south coast. Both sides scored six tries apiece in their first hit out of the season but the boot of Sharks winger Luke Covell proved the difference as he landed five goals from six attempts.

There were fears the Sharks would be a little light up front this season following the retirement of Stevens and the departure of Danny Nutley to English club Castleford, but former Penrith prop Ross laid those fears to bed, carting the ball 10 times for good gains in the opening 20 minutes.

Another to impress in his first game in a Sharks jersey was former Newcastle flyer Darren Albert, who scored with his first touch of the ball from a Brett Kimmorley kick early in the first quarter as Cronulla opened up a 16-0 lead.

The Bulldogs, minus many of their big names such as Willie Mason, Willie Tonga, Hazem El Masri and Sonny Bill Williams, started slowly but came back into the match, mainly through the efforts of halfback Brent Sherwin.

The creative No.7, who had a disappointing 2005 campaign, engineered four of the Bulldogs six tries through deft kicks, with rookie winger Namila Davui the main beneficiary grabbing three tries.

Daniel Holdsworth, the man entrusted with replacing NSW five-eighth Braith Anasta in the Bulldogs No.6 jersey had a solid debut, while young forward Nate Myles again showed he was worthy of a spot even when the stars returned for the 2004 premiers.

Former Dragons favourite son Lance Thompson had a quiet start for the Sharks, with his cause not helped by a corked leg in the opening minutes.

Neither side reported any major injury concerns, with both to play their second and final trial matches next weekend.

ozzie

Bench

we played half of our PL team and half of our NRL team,we never had our full NRL team on the field at any stage

So who played PL for Manly, no wonder they copped a hiding as well. I suppose next you'll say that the PL was made up from the J/F which means anyone from the crowd played J/F. Three floggings and I know it was only a trial...

Nightstalker

Juniors
Dog-E said:
And?...I think you'll find that's what EVERY club did. Not to mention giving most players lengthy spells during the games to combat the heat.

The man that places great importance on the actual result of any pre-season trial game - is a foolish man indeed. All you need do is be thankful that nobody gets injured, and the rest is all academic - just getting match fitness up, and giving any new/young players a bit of a feel for things under match conditions...that's all trials are.

You are exactly right.

Its the same crap year in year out during the trials. Same arguments and everybody going around in circles. I cant see this changing in the next 10 years.

mcbulldog

Juniors
let me try and get this...so far we've heard that souths, sharks, roosters, broncos and eels have won, right?

Jono078

Referee
The Tank said:
According to the Penrith site it's 24-0 to Newcastle at halftime.

I couldnt find that? Know who the try scorers are? Also if that score is true, im very happy :D.

shadow grinder

First Grade

:lol:

its funny.. effnic runs his mouth 24/7 and puts sh*t on the storm...i say 1 thing and your on me as fast as paris hilton is to a penis.

Bicey_18

Bench
I know its a trial but this will be a great platform to head into rd 1.. if infact the boys go on with it ... will give them confidence, wonder if Carney has bagged a try