What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

Lowdown

Juniors
Whats up with the NSW crowds?

QLD way up, Melbourne way up.

Sydney way down, and Newcastle - some 7,000 down on the corresponding Knights/Doggies game last year?

You can say rain all you want - that's not a legitimate excuse. Something else is rotten.

If I was the NRL, I'd be calling a meeting for Monday morning, and getting some action items agreed pronto.

Looks like the NRL membership drive is working beautifully...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The NRL marketing campaign this year has been substandard and woeful.

McCrud

Juniors
t-ba said:
It wasn't that long ago SEQLD was barely pulling in 20,000 a FORTNIGHT. The Crowds have certainly improved out of sight, but to rag on Sydney like this is just complete and BS.
It's fair enough to bag Sydney IMO because of the poor crowds that we have seen dating back to last year's finals series and Tri-nations. Those crowds were poor as well. It's ingrained.

t ba said:
It was sh*t weather In Sydney, the NRL put nothing into promotion until, oh Wednesday, and there's nothing like a Reigning Premier opening the season with a derby and a new club playing its maiden game to bring in the crowds.

Your butt must hurt from riding that high horse.
Hang on, I thought Sydney was 'RL heartland'?

The stadiums hold around 18,000 and 22,000 for Brookvale and Toyota right?

It's Round One of the NRL season, look at the population of Sydney, the history of RL in Sydney and tell me those crowds are ok.

If those crowds had been 15,000 to each, it may have been somewhat acceptable, but Cronulla was not even close to that figure. Very poor.

Timmah

Staff member
Brutus, Keep in mind neither had a 52,000 capacity ground to utilise ;-)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Build some stands then! Every season it's the same, Sydney crowds are poor because its raining. Awaiting the "there's more to do in Sydney" and the "we have lots of teams" excuses next.

Lowdown

Juniors
Timmah said:
The NRL marketing campaign this year has been substandard and woeful.

What...did Sydney-siders (and novacastrians) wake up this year and forget the NRL existed?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Perth Red said:
Build some stands then! Every season it's the same, Sydney crowds are poor because its raining. Awaiting the "there's more to do in Sydney" and the "we have lots of teams" excuses next.

Extra cover won't solve the problem. People don't like going out in the rain period.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The weather wasn't so flash in Auckland either. It was cold and threatening all day and it rained during Premier League

That must have deterred some from coming.

Timmah

Staff member
I was there today, aim your moralistic sh*te somewhere else. the same people were all there... the NRL's job is to market the game and get new people out there, as well as help keep the new ones from previous seasons....

THEY'RE FAILING!

Lowdown

Juniors
Hmmm....NRL Marketing = Poor NSW crowds

NRL Marketing = Good QLD / Storm crowds

I dont think NRL Marketing is to blame. I dont think its helped either, though.

Could we see the early signs of NSW crowds deteriorating from last season? I hope not.

I cant understand why 18k odd turned up to the Round 1 Season Opener (no less) to see the Knights v Doggies (one of the marquee matches of the round), yet 25k watched them run around in round 3 last year?

To get 9,000 at Cronulla at a season opener is disgraceful. Two Sydney teams - first round! That would have to be the worst season opening crowd in 5 years.

Timmah

Staff member
Cronulla was a disgrace, there's no denying that.

Newcastle was disappointing, there's no denying that.

I have no explanation for the woeful figures... the only factor I think that would've stripped numbers would have been weather... it was overcast and nasty ALL day in Newcastle (I know that for a fact seeing as I actually did go).

A night at Toyota in the rain is never ideal either :lol: but that's still not much of an excuse.

What can be done?

Timmah

Staff member
Cumberland Throw said:
Sydneys grounds may have more work to do, but we're heading in the right direction.......

:lol:

Candidate for post of the year!!!!! :crazy:

McCrud

Juniors
I can somewhat understand how Sydney crowds could reach these levels if teams were on big losing streaks, or were simply travelling crap in the table.

But.....it's Round One.

ROUND ONE!?!!

Timmah

Staff member
Are you done whinging about it?

Why not suggest some solutions?

Latest posts