What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

Nook

Bench
What is up with crowds at Newcastle and North Queensland this year?

Almost every one has been dissapointing. Not a good sign in the 'die hard' areas. No way we are going to go near beating the average crowd high water mark if we can't bank on 20K for every match in Newcastle and Townsville.

nqboy

First Grade
Very disappointing crowd for Brownsville. Forecast we saw was for rain all day Saturday and Sunday and it looked pretty bleak as we drove in through patchy rain. But the locals we stay with assured us that it does that often and then the rain goes around Brownsville and that's what happened tonight. A beautiful cool night with no rain.

We left our decision about 6pm but we walk to the ground. If you were driving, parking up here is sh*t and massive dramas getting to and from the ground, so you make your decision may be 4pm, I can understand a lot of the walk up crowd deciding against it looking at the sky at that time.

I was with a mate in a Penrith jersey (the handbrake is in Canberra so he got to use her season ticket) and he was on the lookout for mates. We thought we might be able to count them on the fingers of one hand. Not quite, but we didn't need to take our shoes and socks off.

ByRd

First Grade
excuses excuses, just admit it wasnt great, theres always people bagging us sydneysiders out if the crowds are below par, ffs!!!

Nook

Bench
I reckon the best crowd results this year so far have been Canberra, Warriors and Melbourne. They are the ones that hurt last year and with a few thousand more there things start to look a whole lot better.

But the other teams are struggling, especially the ones that we should be able to rely upon for big crowds consistently. Bulldogs, Newcastle, North Queensland have all been below par (bit hard to tell with the Tigers so far but Sunday will by interesting), Saints a big let down, the rest pretty uninspiring (apart from the honeymooning Titans).

If a few of the big teams don't hit their straps the 'evenness' of the comp might have the opposite effect than that which it had in 2005 - instead of encouraging people to get into the game and the hype, fans might be uninspired by continued mid table mediocrity.

fanatique

Juniors
Actually considering some of the predictions of 6 or 7K the effort at Stade d'Oz was not at all bad. Who'd have thought we had a bigger core crowd than the Dragons?

ozzie

Bench
yakstorm said:
A very good point, if the right 'grassroot' stuff had been done in the past, the Dragons would be able to draw a crowd simply by asking their fans to help 'raise the team' or to 'show some pride', similar to what Newcastle did in the year they won or the spoon, or in other years they haven't made the eight.

Instead because they have only relied on success in the past to draw their crowds, as soon as they have been unable to provide that, only the true diehards have shown up.
maybe they should merge with Illawarra .....lol

ledzep

Bench
The Roosters crowds have thus far been pretty good, all things considered, although I doubt that they'll remain at that level over the course of the season

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Round 9 - May 11-14

Sharks/Broncos TOYOTA 12,262
Eagles/Eels BROOKVALE 19,944
Knights/Warriors EN-AUS 15,107
Rabbitohs/Raiders TELSTRA 11,088
Cowboys/Panthers D F S 17,393

5 matches - TOTAL: 75,794. AVG: 15,159

Pretty dud round so far really. Roosters probably won't go past 12 or 13 IMO, Tigers v Dragons and Storm v Dogs look like the only ones with potential.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
nqboy said:
Very disappointing crowd for Brownsville. Forecast we saw was for rain all day Saturday and Sunday and it looked pretty bleak as we drove in through patchy rain. But the locals we stay with assured us that it does that often and then the rain goes around Brownsville and that's what happened tonight. A beautiful cool night with no rain.

We left our decision about 6pm but we walk to the ground. If you were driving, parking up here is sh*t and massive dramas getting to and from the ground, so you make your decision may be 4pm, I can understand a lot of the walk up crowd deciding against it looking at the sky at that time.

I was with a mate in a Penrith jersey (the handbrake is in Canberra so he got to use her season ticket) and he was on the lookout for mates. We thought we might be able to count them on the fingers of one hand. Not quite, but we didn't need to take our shoes and socks off.

Just bad luck I guess. What's the promotion like up that way anyway?

BTW
nqboy said:
the handbrake is in Canberra so
:lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
nqboy said:

I'd love to know the North Queensland definition of 'parking was sh*t.' Probably had to park 100 metres away or something...:p

fanatique

Juniors
Nook said:
What is up with crowds at Newcastle and North Queensland this year?

Almost every one has been dissapointing. Not a good sign in the 'die hard' areas. No way we are going to go near beating the average crowd high water mark if we can't bank on 20K for every match in Newcastle and Townsville.

Spot on mate. if we are to seriously challenge 2005 figures we need Cowboys and knights averaging 20,000 plus. In 5 games so far Knights have dropped below 20K against each of the Bulldogs surprisingly enough and less surprisingly the Sharks and Warriors. That simply shouldn't be happening.

phonetic

Juniors
I have to agree with whoever said the quality isn't good. I can'tthink of too many brilliant contests so far this year.

I was at the Souths / Raiders match last night. The play the ball speed was absolutely dreadful. Both teams were allowed to lie all over the man with the ball. Both teams were offside with regularity. I'm glad I got a free ticket, because I would have felt ripped off otherwise.

Also there's too many games at nights.

ByRd

First Grade
Roosters crowd doesnt look too great, even the commentator's were mentioning it in the pre game show.

nqboy

First Grade
t-ba said:
I'd love to know the North Queensland definition of 'parking was sh*t.' Probably had to park 100 metres away or something...:p
:lol: Fair point. There are three good carparks on the East, West and North gates but the trouble is access to the ground as there is only one through road to all three entrances so it takes a fair while, over an hour in many cases, to get out if there's a big crowd in. Most people are encouraged to park at a shoppng centre 20mins+ walk away and catch the free shuttle buses from there but I'm told that on MNF v the Bunnies, there were many complaints that the shuttle buses weren't gettig people to the ground before halftime.

On the question of promotion, everyone in the north knows when the Cowboys are playing. The Townsville Bulletin, while not quite as bad as the Broncos CM newsletter, certainly gives thorough and parochial coverage and we are sponsored by, and advertise extensively on, WIN and top rating 4TO (who call all our games H&A). There's no excuse for not knowing it was on.

Short version is it was a sh*t crowd by our standards. The weather was some excuse but crowds are down all this year up here and I'm not sure why.

Farva

Juniors
I think the 5-30 timeslot on a saturday affects crowds. It seems that no-one likes that time.
Bring back the old days when there used to be about 5 games on a sunday arvo. Leave the saturday night games to the Sharks and Cowboys...

ucantseeme

Juniors
I think the Roosters vs Titans crowd at the SFS will get its own thread.

"Hello, hello, is anyone there?"

Lucky this wasnt chosen as the Ch 9 game for today.

ByRd

First Grade
watch it be given as something totally unrealistic, there is no more then 6/7000 there.

t-ba

Post Whore
doglyf said:
watch it be given as something totally unrealistic, there is no more then 6/7000 there.

F*cktards. It's not like the Swans and Waratahs are travelling well or anything either.

Edit-It's mothers day, which doesn't help.

Latest posts