What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

ucantseeme

Juniors
I have watched those Arrive Alive High School matches that Ch 9 used to show where they played at the SFS, I would say the crowd was similar.

It's poor because even though they are losing, the Roosters cover the most densely populated area in Australia so you would expect there crowds to be in the 1000's rather than 100's.

t-ba

Post Whore
ucantseeme said:
I have watched those Arrive Alive High School matches that Ch 9 used to show where they played at the SFS, I would say the crowd was similar.

It's poor because even though they are losing, the Roosters cover the most densely populated area in Australia so you would expect there crowds to be in the 1000's rather than 100's.

Not really. The Boundary between Souths and Easts Historically was Anzac Parade-Oxford Street-Macquarie Street IIRC. If you take the boundary line from before the re-alignment in the 1950's, the Roosters catchment contains only about 230,000 or so people.

JW

Coach
t-ba said:
Edit-It's mothers day, which doesn't help.

It's always like that on Mother's Day isn't it? I seem to remember some really dissapointing crowds last year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Round 9 - May 11-14

Sharks/Broncos TOYOTA 12,262
Eagles/Eels BROOKVALE 19,944
Knights/Warriors EN-AUS 15,107
Rabbitohs/Raiders TELSTRA 11,088
Cowboys/Panthers D F S 17,393
Roosters/Titans AUSSIE 6,264
Tigers/Dragons TELSTRA 13,625

7 matches - TOTAL: 95,683. AVG: 13,669

Timmah

Staff member
This is roughly the same time last year we had a bit of a downturn in averages... Rounds 10-15 seem to be a low point.

Last time we had a round this low was back in R19... even with a record crowd at OKI for the Drags:

R19 2006 - Attendance: 88,464; Avg: 12,637

Having said that, I reckon a decent showing at OP could help us over the 14k line :D

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
flamin said:
Do the roosters cover a smaller geographic area and population than the sharks?

Border_2.JPG

Their ageographic region is almost non-existant, as you can see.
C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CTechworks%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures

C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CTechworks%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures

LESStar58

Referee
Dodger said:
Having said that, I reckon a decent showing at OP could help us over the 14k line :D

They are saying that, given the ticket sales, theres a possibility of 15K tomorrow night. If the weather isn't too bad we'll get 5 figures for sure!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Again it looks as if Sydney is the bandwagon capital of the world. Move someone to an expansion area already. That Roosters crowd is abysmal.

ByRd

First Grade
i know people are bagging out the roosters crowd and bagged out our crowd against the tigers and knights but the dragons/tigers game only drew 13,000. This is pretty bad considering the tigers had come off 2 good wins and the dragons also won last week that a clash between the 2 only drew above 13k. I know its mothers day but you would expect more to turn up.

ozzie

Bench
on the ABC they pinted out that Mother's day is always tradionally been a dud weekend for crowds

yakstorm

First Grade
Only single seats left in the Premium West, which is encouraging... throw in some reasonable coverage in Melbourne about the MNF game and Triple M coming on board for it, the Storm should at least equal what the Round Average has been so far.

Brycey

Juniors
A few Sydney teams need to put their gear in the back of the car and get on the highway, its as simple as that.

phonetic

Juniors
Brycey said:
A few Sydney teams need to put their gear in the back of the car and get on the highway, its as simple as that.

It's never as simple as that.

I cannot see relocation working for any current Sydney club.

A few bad crowd figures this weekend and it would seem the world is ending.

yakstorm

First Grade
Relocation isn't the answer, there are enough Rugby League fans based in Sydney to fill each ground in the city and still have many miss out, the question has to be asked 'Why aren't the fans turning up?'

I bet the Wollongong region hasn't been filled with promotions for this Friday's game against the Titans, same like I don't expect to hear anything about the Bulldogs game at Telstra Stadium or the match at Parramatta Stadium at my place despite it being located convenient to both venues.

Timmah

Staff member
If people can choof off over to stats.rleague.com and click on "Match Scores and Ladders" then through to 2006 - look at some of the round averages... fmd, we're killing it so far.

Not to mention tomorrow's Storm game could potentially UP the average!

fanatique

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Well that puts paid to the crowd avg record.

Anyone who thought the 18,000 average would last knew little of NRL crowds. What is happening is what usually happens as we settle into mid season. Round average decreases. No point bagging the Easts or tigers. Their seasonal averages are as good as any Sydneyside club and bettern than some at 16,371 for the tigers and 14,416 for easts. The Dragons would kill for those averages.

The simple truth is that it seems our seasonal average has settled at 15 to 16K and it will take huge marketing to shift it.

Latest posts