What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

yosh64

Juniors
yosh64 said:
NRL crowds compared to last year after 8 rounds

2006 - Total = 958,932 Avg = 17,123

2007 - Total = 1,109,379 Avg = 17,893 Increase of 4.5%

Crowds for NRL are up by 14.7% on 2006's avg for the season.

2006 - 15,601

2007 - 17,893

Teams home crowd avg above last years avg;
Brisbane
Canberra
Cronulla
Manly
Melbourne
New Zealand
North Queensland
Penrith
Souths
Sydney
Parramatta

Teams home crowd avg below last years avg
Canterbury-Bankstown
Newcastle
St-George
Wests

NRL crowds compared after 9 rounds

2005 - Total = 1,105,692 Avg = 17,551
2006 - Total = 1,070,418 Avg = 16,991

2007 - Total = 1,219,158 Avg = 17,417
-------------------------------------------Increase of 2.5% over 2006
-------------------------------------------Decrease of 0.8% on 2005

Crowds for NRL are up by
--------------------------11.7% on 2006's avg for the whole season.
--------------------------5.8% on 2005's avg for the whole season.

2005 - 16,468
2006 - 15,601

2007 - 17,893

Teams home crowd avg above last years avg;
Brisbane
Canberra
Cronulla
Manly
Melbourne
New Zealand
Penrith
Souths
Sydney
Parramatta

Teams home crowd avg below last years avg
Canterbury-Bankstown
Newcastle
North Queensland - dropped below last years avg this week
St-George
Wests

Only including 2005 as some people have been interested and cause it was the record year. If you dont want it in just tell me to remove it.

nqboy

First Grade
I had to drain the sump at DFS last Saturday night and found it very congested as the walkway had been narrowed by the installation of cellars for the grog outlets there and there were insufficient toilets (female block at the northern end, male block at the southern end of the eastern stand). With only 17K there, I wondered how it would be when they have 25K for the Drongos.

I emailed the club and to their credit, they passed it on very quickly to the Major Sports Facilities Authority (MSFA), the state government body they hire the ground from. Got a call from some bloke from the MSFA who claimed that the walkway was no narrower but that the congestion was caused by queing for food and beverages and toilers. He also said that the budget for improvements had been spent on a fire sprinkler system and improvements to the stairs from the gates to the stands, both of which were required by law. He said an extra toilet block at each end was in the budget for next year, as well as moving the outlets to another area to move those queues (not sure where they're going to put them as there's not a lot of room anywhere else).

The short version is: If you're coming to DFS, drain the sump before you arrive if you want to watch the footy.

I posted this as I think it is relevant to crowds at DFS as people I spoke to agreed it reeks of a cash grab by the club at the expense of facilities for the fans, which may be a factor in the lesser crowds this year as the unwashed masses wake to the realisation that they're being taken for granted. Dunno whether that's entirely valid or not but it's worthy of consideration by the club.

OT, the comment before about parking got me thinking as well. There's heaps of parking on three sides of the ground but only one road in and out to service the carparks. The police, council and the club are constantly meeting to try and streamline it but there's only so much they can do. I've read over the years that Leichardt is short of parking but how is access to other grounds down there?

innsaneink

Referee
nqboy said:
I had to drain the sump at DFS last Saturday night and found it very congested as the walkway had been narrowed by the installation of cellars for the grog outlets there and there were insufficient toilets (female block at the northern end, male block at the southern end of the eastern stand). With only 17K there, I wondered how it would be when they have 25K for the Drongos.

I emailed the club and to their credit, they passed it on very quickly to the Major Sports Facilities Authority (MSFA), the state government body they hire the ground from. Got a call from some bloke from the MSFA who claimed that the walkway was no narrower but that the congestion was caused by queing for food and beverages and toilers. He also said that the budget for improvements had been spent on a fire sprinkler system and improvements to the stairs from the gates to the stands, both of which were required by law. He said an extra toilet block at each end was in the budget for next year, as well as moving the outlets to another area to move those queues (not sure where they're going to put them as there's not a lot of room anywhere else).

The short version is: If you're coming to DFS, drain the sump before you arrive if you want to watch the footy.

I posted this as I think it is relevant to crowds at DFS as people I spoke to agreed it reeks of a cash grab by the club at the expense of facilities for the fans, which may be a factor in the lesser crowds this year as the unwashed masses wake to the realisation that they're being taken for granted. Dunno whether that's entirely valid or not but it's worthy of consideration by the club.

OT, the comment before about parking got me thinking as well. There's heaps of parking on three sides of the ground but only one road in and out to service the carparks. The police, council and the club are constantly meeting to try and streamline it but there's only so much they can do. I've read over the years that Leichardt is short of parking but how is access to other grounds down there?

Kenny...what you done with bunnyboy?!?!?!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
After 9 rounds: 1,219,158

Work on that ratio -

After 18 rounds: 2,438,316

After 25 rounds: 3,386,550

camsmith

Juniors
There has to be something wrong with how the Storm count the numbers at OP.

I've been to victory games where its pretty much like it was last night and the figure is usually 16,000+. I dont believe them.

BuffaloRules

Coach
yosh64 said:
Only including 2005 as some people have been interested and cause it was the record year. If you dont want it in just tell me to remove it.

Keep it I reckon, although its depressing to see that the average has fallen behind already.

There was a pretty mild winter in 2005, so we are probably going to be struggling to get it back up there again this year...:(

t-ba

Post Whore
camsmith said:
There has to be something wrong with how the Storm count the numbers at OP.

I've been to victory games where its pretty much like it was last night and the figure is usually 16,000+. I dont believe them.

They may use different counting methods. i.e: including or excluding ground staff and club personnel.

JK

There weren't 2000 ground staff... :p

Counting free passes (Do Melb give any away?)
Junior passes (Do the passes/juniors exist in Vic?)

What else could affect the result?

Lowdown

Juniors
JK said:
There weren't 2000 ground staff... :p

Counting free passes (Do Melb give any away?)
Junior passes (Do the passes/juniors exist in Vic?)

What else could affect the result?

They dont hand out free passes to my knowledge. They stopped that long ago when Waldron came in. He thought it cheapened the image of the Storm, and devalued membership. He was right of course - no member likes the idea of people thinking they can turn up to watch a professional team play for free.

Timmah

Staff member
Round 10 - May 18-21
Dragons/Titans WIN Std 12,058

TOTAL 12,058 AVERAGE 12,058

:crazy:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Disappointing crowd for the Dragons/Titans game. Really, anything less than 15,000 at any game should be viewed as a disappointment.

Timmah

Staff member
Well prepare to be let down all weekend ;-)

IMO:

Parra v NQ 14,000
Melb v Syd 9,600
Warr v Wests 13,000
Dogs v Sharks 12,000
Manly v Brisbane 18,000

Only reason I'm optimistic about Parra and Manly is ticket sales reports I saw indicated that not a lot of tickets remained for certain sections.

yakstorm

First Grade
CWBush said:
Disappointing crowd for the Dragons/Titans game. Really, anything less than 15,000 at any game should be viewed as a disappointment.

Whilst it would be nice to see larger Dragons crowds, if you look at their other crowds this year:

Rnd 2: 12326 (Kogarah)
Rnd 3: 10232 (WIN)
Rnd 5: 9011 (Kogarah)
Rnd 8: 9057 (Kogarah)

It's their second best crowd for the year.... so considering their position on the ladder, its good to see the Wollongong component of the side is still showing a bit of faith, especially against an interstate team...

fanatique

Juniors
CWBush said:

Yes but we have to be realistic. It was par for Sydney sides at home to "inter state" opposition and about 2K up on Dragons average so far this year. Not great. nothing to write home about but not bad in the circumstances.

yosh64

Juniors
effnic said:
We will be lucky to get 15k at brooky.

why??

according to the tele there are few tickets available. the teams top of the ladder and playing brisbane (albeit brisbane that isnt high up in the ladder).

I reckon the saints crowds was ok. Not something we should be striving for but considering all the negative press, their position and that it was against the titans i cant say im disappointed with it. I wont support mediocre crowds but think this is better than usual for them this year.

Farva

Juniors
effnic said:
We will be lucky to get 15k at brooky.

But Manly crowds have been good all year. Brisbane may be interstate, but i reckon they have a lot of pulling power.
Should be an awesome game.