What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Jersey Flegg Gains and Losses

Spike

First Grade
Jeffrey shouldn't be moved from centre for a while. It was his form as a centre that won him a first grade birth so he should be allowed to concentrate on a position that he knows he can excel at rather than be chooped and changed from week to week, but as you said there aren't many other options. Marc Russell will be the premier league half next year for mine.

brook

First Grade
Spike said:
Jeffrey shouldn't be moved from centre for a while. It was his form as a centre that won him a first grade birth so he should be allowed to concentrate on a position that he knows he can excel at rather than be chooped and changed from week to week, but as you said there aren't many other options. Marc Russell will be the premier league half next year for mine.

That seems to be the only other realistic option. I'm just not sure if it will be in Russells best interests, he's still very small and inexperienced I would like to see him get another year in flegg before throwing him into first grade.

We might not have a choice though and if it comes to that at least the kid is capable.

Spike

First Grade
brook said:
That seems to be the only other realistic option. I'm just not sure if it will be in Russells best interests, he's still very small and inexperienced I would like to see him get another year in flegg before throwing him into first grade.

We might not have a choice though and if it comes to that at least the kid is capable.

The other thing that may come into consideration is the youth cup or whatever it's going to be called in 2008. Putting him in premier league next year, knowing that he's going to be playing with and against players such as Soward, Lewis, Walsh, Sammut, Dureau and other quality halves may give him an edge over his competition with the added experience the following year in the youth cup.

That's another reason why I can't see the point of signing guys like Peter Lewis. The guy has no future in the NRL/NSWRL past 2007 so why bother signing players of his calibre? Why not sign an up and coming 18/19 year old props who'll play in this competition before stepping up to the NRL? I realise particularly in fowards that they don't always reach their peak until their mid 20's but the competition has changed over the years to the point that it's the norm to be introducing players to first grade at a younger age. I'd asume that the average age of first grade players would be in the early 20s.

brook

First Grade
Spike said:
The other thing that may come into consideration is the youth cup or whatever it's going to be called in 2008. Putting him in premier league next year, knowing that he's going to be playing with and against players such as Soward, Lewis, Walsh, Sammut, Dureau and other quality halves may give him an edge over his competition with the added experience the following year in the youth cup.

That's another reason why I can't see the point of signing guys like Peter Lewis. The guy has no future in the NRL/NSWRL past 2007 so why bother signing players of his calibre? Why not sign an up and coming 18/19 year old props who'll play in this competition before stepping up to the NRL? I realise particularly in fowards that they don't always reach their peak until their mid 20's but the competition has changed over the years to the point that it's the norm to be introducing players to first grade at a younger age. I'd asume that the average age of first grade players would be in the early 20s.

Lewis is just a bizzare signing, I really can't understand the reasoning for that one - forwards do mature later but not that much later.

You make a good point about giving Russell the experience though, I guess I'd prefer to see him start the year in Flegg and maybe move him to PL when the SG Ball season is over and Gernhoefer or Jack could benefit from time in Flegg (I'm betting on Gernhoefer).

Theres also Farlow to consider - nowhere near as good a half but he's too good not to fit in somewhere and seeing as we seem intent on creating a team of backrowers there probably wont be much room for him at lock.

girvie

Staff member
Spike said:

Marc Russell will be too old for the National Under-20s competition next year. So unless he is in Wests Tigers Top 25 players then he won't be playing in that competition.

tigesup

Juniors
I've only seen Russell a couple of times but he has impressed me.

With him being too old (?) for this so called under 20's comp what happens to him and the rest of the young juniors in a similar position? Park football?

You can't tell me a built up Jim Beam cup is going to replace PL. There's going to be a lot of kids trying other sports if this goes ahead.

NRL we want the best forget the rest.

Well maybe some will give other codes a test

brook

First Grade
tigesup said:

With him being too old (?) for this so called under 20's comp what happens to him and the rest of the young juniors in a similar position? Park football?

One of the many flaws in the proposal

girvie

Staff member
tigesup said:

You can't tell me a built up Jim Beam cup is going to replace PL. There's going to be a lot of kids trying other sports if this goes ahead.

NRL we want the best forget the rest.

Well maybe some will give other codes a test
I've heard from 1 current PL player who said he is probably going to play in the National Rugby Union comp next season because he is not a top-25 contracted player next season and knows he will be forced down to the Jim Beam Cup.

It will be interesting to see how many League juniors there are in the National Rugby Union competition in 2008 and 2009.

wayne challis

Juniors
On the Rooster front Willie Brown a prop from Cabramatta Jim Beam Cup has been signed and it looks like Charlie Tonga is definitely staying. That will bolster our front row reserves.

Although no official squad has been named I would expect it to look something like this:

Roosters - Premier League 2007
1. Foley, 2. Kenny-Dowall 3. Mellars, 4. Pangai, 5. J Williams, 6. Aubusson,
7. Pearce, 8. Shackleton, 9. L'Estrange, 10. Tonga, 11. Lopini Paea, 12. Micky Paea 13. Schubert, 14. Meredith, 15. Ndaira, 16. Danny Williams, 17. Willie Brown, 18. Millington, 19. Watts, 20. James Shillington, 21. Savage

In terms of the Unknown for 2007:
Michael Burns (Second Row) - Going to Wests PL next year
John Doyle (Hooker/Five-Eighth)- re-signed for one more season
Daniel Dumas (Second Row) - released (France or the Bulldogs maybe)
Luke Gordon (Hooker) - released
Anton La Vin (Centre) - released
Troy Malcolm (Wing) - released (maybe Cronulla)
Lafi Manua (Prop) - released
Pierce Sapsford (wing) - staying at the Roosters but will be in Flegg again
Troy Savage (Wing) - re-signed for next year (likely PL bench)
Anthony Watts (Half) - re-signed for next year (likely PL bench)

tigesup

Juniors
So on the roosters front, what about Charlie Herotutukutuku(??). Is he still tied to the roosters or released.

Cobra Kai

Juniors
Glen Birney a classy five eighth or half back has signed with Titans feeder club Burleigh for next year. He is a hit with the ladies as well.

lugsy

Juniors
wayne challis said:
On the Rooster front Willie Brown a prop from Cabramatta Jim Beam Cup has been signed and it looks like Charlie Tonga is definitely staying. That will bolster our front row reserves.

Although no official squad has been named I would expect it to look something like this:

7. Pearce, 8. Shackleton, 9. L'Estrange, 10. Tonga, 11. Lopini Paea, 12. Micky Paea 13. Schubert, 14. Meredith, 15. Ndaira, 16. Danny Williams, 17. Willie Brown, 18. Millington, 19. Watts, 20. James Shillington, 21. Savage

Where do you see Frank Nuuasula playing next year?
And I think we bought Lafi's brother Cliff to the club for next year.Where would you see him playing?

Cobra Kai

Juniors
lugsy said:
And I think we bought Lafi's brother Cliff to the club for next year.Where would you see him playing?

Yeh Roosters were talking to Glen Birney. Seems they missed out.

wayne challis

Juniors
tigesup said:
So on the roosters front, what about Charlie Herotutukutuku(??). Is he still tied to the roosters or released.

Charlie had a 2 year contract with the Roosters for 2006 and 2007 but no longer appears on the contracted players list so I guess that means he has been released.

He never actually played a game for the Roosters as far as I know. He was injured early on then spent the back half of the season playing in Newtown's Jim Beam Cup team.

Sad to see him go if he has been cut. Heard he had a bit of talent and beat at least five guys in scoring a try in the Jim Beam grandfinal!

wayne challis

Juniors
lugsy said:

Lugsy,

Frank is a special player and will play in the top grade soon enough. Unfortunately there are just too many ahead of him at this stage. Besides, he is one of the few frontrowers that still qualify to play Flegg.

The Clifford Manua rumour has been around for a while and had never been confirmed. I'd be suprised if he came to the Roosters after the way the club treated his brother this season. The recent signing of Willie Brown from Cabramatta, following on from Nutley & Beattie, make it less likely Cliff will be playing for the Roosters. If he does come he would start off the bench in PL.

D

Deleted member 10972

wayne challis said:

Yeh close to what i would go with:

First Grade (Harrison injured)

1. Minichiello, 2. Roberts, 3. Soliola, 4. Monaghan, 5. Mellars/Perrett, 6. Soward, 7. Lewis, 8. Nutley, 9. Wing, 10. D Shillington, 11. Plum, 12. Fitzgibbon, 13. Anasta, 14. Flannery, 15. Myles, 16. Beattie, 17. Tupou

Premier League

1. Foley, 2. Kenny-Dowall, 3. Sa, 4. Perrett/Mellars, 5. J Williams, 6. Doyle, 7. Pearce, 8. Brown, 9. L'Estrange, 10. Tonga, 11. Paea, 12. Paea, 13. Aubusson, 14. Schubert, 15. Ndaira, 16. Shackleton, 17. Meredith, 18. D Williams, 19. Watts, 20. Savage, 21. Pangai, 22. Nuuausala, 23. Millington, 24. J Shillington

Latest posts