What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Finals Week One:
SYD v BRI @ SFS - 18,343
CRO v CAN @ Toyota - 18,252
MAN v STG @ Brookvale - 19,227
MEL v NZW @ Olympic - TBP

Comparable to previous seasons:
PAR v NZW @ Mt Smart - 28,745
MAN v SOU @ Brookvale - 19,785
NQL v BUL @ DFS - 24,004
MEL v BRI @ Olympic - 15,552

NWC v MAN @ EAS - 23,752
BRI v STG @ Suncorp - 50,387
BUl v CAN @ Telstra - 14,628 (torrential rain)
MEL v PAR @ Olympic - 15,690

WES v NQL @ Telstra - 26,463
BRI v MEL @ Suncorp - 25,193
STG v CRO @ WIN - 19,608
PAR v MAN @ Parramatta - 19,710

It's fair to say this year we've been greatly restricted by venue, but the SYD/BRI crowd this Friday just gone was MAJORLY disappointing.

Timmah

Staff member
As for today, I've been told:

Ticket Status at 11.50pm Sat 13/9/08

Premium Reserved - Sold Out
Reserved Seat- Sold Out
Reserved Area- Sold Out
Reserved Terraces- Single Seats Only Sections 30 and 46
General Admin Standin - Available

They're trying to surpass 15,552 and 15,690 - neither of which were officially sell-outs.

They SHOULD get a 16k figure today.

Ice777

Bench
I wouldn't be surprised and hopefully we crack 16k today. With playing the Kiwis and the weather not being too bad i reckon it's achievable.

Timmah

Staff member
Neither of those previous crowds I mentioned were sell outs for first week finals at OP. I'd wager about 16,200.

Ice777

Bench
I'd be happy with that figure. The other two finals were a few thousand from capacity but as mentioned against the Kiwis i think we should outdo the games against the Broncs and Eels. So yeah i'll say around 16K which would be very good, but 16.5K+ would be excellent i reckon.

camsmith

Juniors
I think all four crowds will be about 18k.

Can OP fit that many?

Supposedly the capacity is 18,500. A Melbourne vs Sydney soccer game got 18, 206 people although soccer crowd figures always seemed higher than what they looked.

I'm tipping 16,500. But it will look like capacity (and probably be closer to it than the numbers suggest).

The Tank

Bench
Just a question for Melbourne fans. Does anyone think it could've been wise to switch today's game to Telstra Dome considering there's no AFL or soccer. It probably wouldn't get THAT much more but opening the game up to more supporters at a better venue could be wise.

camsmith

Juniors
Just a question for Melbourne fans. Does anyone think it could've been wise to switch today's game to Telstra Dome considering there's no AFL or soccer. It probably wouldn't get THAT much more but opening the game up to more supporters at a better venue could be wise.

No doubt it would have got more at TD. Although it would still only get 25,000 or so.. so it would look empty.

Storm vs Warriors are probably the most (consistently) well attended home games of the season with plenty of Kiwis in Melbourne.

I think either way is fine. Probably cost more to play at TD but the profit would be about the same even if an extra 8,000 people turned up but one would have a great atmosphere and one wouldn't.

Kind of like Sydney teams and ANZ. I'm happy for this one to be played at OP even if it is a sh*thole.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Game should be played at Toyota, not at Easts home ground.
the system stinks if we have to play at their home ground when we finished higher than them and we won our semi and they lost.
This is all about big brother(easts) getting their own way.
If we can't play at Toyota, we'd be better off playing at Homebush.

Week 2 & 3 finals won't be at Shark Park or any other ground in Sydney apart from the SFS or ANZ.

The corporate facilities not up to standard at the lesser suburban grounds, and the NRL has big money deals in place to host Week 2 & 3 finals at the two aforementioned grounds. When the Broncos/Cowboys final in 2004 was switched from Sydney to N-QLD it cost the NRL a small fortune to pay out the various contractors (Stadium Staff, Ground Cleaning crews etc).

The same issue arose last season when Parramatta hosted the Bulldogs at ANZ stadium in Week 2. There was some bitching in the media, but most people were sensible enough to realise that once the finals move beyond week 1 you should consider it fortunate that your team is still competing and is playing in their home city.

The Tank

Bench
No doubt it would have got more at TD. Although it would still only get 25,000 or so.. so it would look empty.

Storm vs Warriors are probably the most (consistently) well attended home games of the season with plenty of Kiwis in Melbourne.

I think either way is fine. Probably cost more to play at TD but the profit would be about the same even if an extra 8,000 people turned up but one would have a great atmosphere and one wouldn't.

Kind of like Sydney teams and ANZ. I'm happy for this one to be played at OP even if it is a sh*thole.

Fair Enough. Agree with regards to the atmosphere. Look at last night's games in comparison to the larger SFS game on Friday.

Empty grounds depress me so I've not watched a lot of game's this year. Last night was great. OP has probably close to the best atmosphere of any NRL venue (certainly up there).

Can't wait for the new stadium though.

stormtragic

Juniors
Empty grounds depress me so I've not watched a lot of game's this year. Last night was great. OP has probably close to the best atmosphere of any NRL venue (certainly up there).

fans are a fair bit away from action though...behind the posts is a great spot with the fans, but you cant see much

new stadium is gonna be fantasic...watch out for 20k average crowds

Brutus

Referee

They should have played it at Telstra Dome.

The round 1 game against the Warriors was played at the Telstra Dome and attracted 20k on a Monday night.

Could have got 25-30k in a semi.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
if we play broncos at the Dome..its a great chance to be the first 40k for the Storm

It looks as though this will happen, all we have to do is beat Canberra.

What was last year's crowd? 33k against Parra?

Only problem I see is the little thing called the AFL Grand Final ](*,)

stormtragic

Juniors
It looks as though this will happen, all we have to do is beat Canberra.

What was last year's crowd? 33k against Parra?

Only problem I see is the little thing called the AFL Grand Final ](*,)

yeh 33k at the Dome which was fantasic...and a great atmosphere too.
i think its a good thing actually because might get alot of walkups who are general sports fans

we have a main support base too of about 25k or so

hopefully an extra 10k occasional supporters and a few walk ups...hopefully its promoted well and build up the bris hate factor

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
yeh 33k at the Dome which was fantasic...and a great atmosphere too.
i think its a good thing actually because might get alot of walkups who are general sports fans

we have a main support base too of about 25k or so

hopefully an extra 10k occasional supporters and a few walk ups...hopefully its promoted well and build up the bris hate factor

Still bitter? :lol:

Will be a great game.

I'm not going to go on about it though, we've gotta get there first!

Ice777

Bench
I've no doubt we'd get a bigger crowd today if it was played at the Dome by i'm glad it's not. I'm more worried about trying to get a win in the first week more than i am about a bigger crowd. Why go to the Dome and lessen the advantage we have at OP when we don't have to? That'd be just stupid, it'd be like one of the Sydney sides giving up their suburban ground to play at the SFS.

Anyway it's time to head off to the game. Wish us luck......yeah right :lol:

mattyg

Bench
I've no doubt we'd get a bigger crowd today if it was played at the Dome by i'm glad it's not. I'm more worried about trying to get a win in the first week more than i am about a bigger crowd. Why go to the Dome and lessen the advantage we have at OP when we don't have to? That'd be just stupid, it'd be like one of the Sydney sides giving up their suburban ground to play at the SFS.

Anyway it's time to head off to the game. Wish us luck......yeah right :lol:

:lol: you cocky moron LOL

I reckon broncos will do the storm next week and hopefully i'm right

Status
Not open for further replies.