What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Ladder... have a go

imasharkie

Coach
BUMP

For all those posters who had the Sharks in the bottom two, you now have egg on your faces.

FTR I tipped Bulldogs to get the wooden spoon.

and the biggest idiot is Timmah who tipped the Sharks to be wooden spooners and the Dogs to finish third.

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Timmah

imasharkie

Coach
Timmah's predictions:
1 Warriors
2 Melbourne
3 Bulldogs
4 St George Illawarra
5 South Sydney
6 Gold Coast
7 Manly Warringah
8 Parramatta

9 Penrith
10 North Queensland
11 Wests Tigers
12 Newcastle
13 Brisbane
14 Sydney Roosters
15 Canberra
16 Cronulla Sutherland
:lol: :lol: :lol:

well.
the dogs had injuries..sonny bill. and they knew the coach was gorne at the start.

also. the impending doom of gimp wouldnt have done much for morale.

BrisVegas

Juniors
///--- The Top 4 ---///

The Cowboys - The Dynamic Duo of Thurston and Bowen, Some of the best recruitment of 2007 bringing Travis Burns, Ben Harris and John Williams to the far north. A formidable home ground advantage and excellent forward depth given the number of player blooded last year.The only downside is Murray being sacked before the season has even started. If Thurston plays the majority of the year they are my pick for the minor premiership.
EPIC FAIL - Murray's sacking turned out to be an unrecoverable blow, but even that wouldn't have lead me to believe they would finish 15th and record their longest ever losing streak.

Melbourne Storm - The reigning premiers, Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis, Falou, Bellamy - The Storm have the personel to go back to back. Will be interesting to see how they cope while Bellamy is on Origin duty. Have lost a few players but their production line will likely spit out more than adequet replacements. Add the best home ground advantage in the league and a well drilled workman like pack and they are top 4 near certanties.
Correct - As above.

Brisbane Broncos - Some astute purchases sees a far more balanced Broncos team take the field in '08. The club now has far greater creative attacking options with the introduction of Wallace and Marsh. Terrific pack depth with Clinton, Hannatt (bolter for Origin duty), Thaiday, Carroll, Eastwood, Stagg, Sims, Parker, Taylor, Kenny, Ennis and PJ Marsh all on the books. Hodges is the number 1 centre in the game and Hunt is always dangerous chiming in from the back, and is rock solid in his kick returns. The club will want to send Bennett out on a high note.
CLOSE - They finished 5th by a single point. Depth was extended more than I imagined during Origin with Wallace, Marsh and Boyd all getting called up. Could

Parramatta - Probably the best starting 3/4 line in the comp. Add to that a solid pack with the right mix of workman and explosiveness and they should be dangerous. While Smith and Finch are a solid halves combination that should take the team into the top 4, they probably lack that extra class to take them to the Grand Final. Eliminated in Week 2 or 3 of the finals.
WRONG - The Hagan effect was in full affect this season. I was way off about the pack, but I stand by what I said about the 3/4 line. Losing Smith was huge blow, but Mateo made a believer out of me this year.

///--- 5th - 8th ---///

Manly - Solid defensivly, but the loss of Monaghan and Burns will hurt them with regards to halves depth. Will finish in the middle of the top 8.
Close. They are not as good as in 2007 IMO, but they covered for the lose of Monaghan far better than I imaged they would.

South Sydney - Good coach, great front office. A fanstatic defensive team that will worry the opposition when they are on the attack with the addition of Wing and Issac Luke being the first choice hooker. Kidwell (likely) playing more games will be a huge plus. Will improve on there '07 results by a place or two.
FAIL - The early season turmoil in the front office probably didn't help things, along with the loss of Wing in game 1. Their attitude in defence was poor this year. Once PHaC was dropped and Lang recruited things began to pick up and it was a good effort to be clear of the spoon with a month to go. Sandow was the shinning light of the Rabbitohs season.

The Warriors - A fearsome pack, good home ground advantage and talented coach should see them make the 8. Looking forward to seeing the debut of Sonny Fai and Packer. Will need to unearth or purchase a game breaking half to be true premiership contenders. McKinnon out for the season is a real shame.
Correct - On all accounts.

Canberra Raiders - A talented young side with a highly rated tactician for a coach and the best home ground advantage in the comp outside of Melbourne. They have the most under-rated pack in the comp with some great depth. All they need is someone to step up and partner Carney in the halves (Herbert?, Campese?) and a bit more flair in the hooking role (perhaps the signing of Flannagan from Wests Tigers as was rumoured?). Important year for the Raider with over half their top 25 squad off contract. If they get their rectruitment and retainment right their is no reason they can't be legitiment contenders in a season or two's time.
Correct - A good year for the Raiders considering the number of injuries they recieved to personal playing in key positions and the whole Todd Carney affair. Add to that Henrey announcing a move to North QLD and the team could have dropped their bundle, but to their credit they surged home.

///--- 9th - 12th ---///

Gold Coast Titans - A really good starting side that will go close but just come up short due to a lack of depth. A very important year for the Gold Coast with a large portion of the playing roster off contract. The correct recruitment and retention could see them emerge as a powerhouse club over the next few seasons.
Close (finished 13th)- Injuries and a lack of depth crueled their season yet again, but the club will be a power house within the next 5 years.

Cronulla Sharks - A great pack but ordinary halves and backs. Another year of close but no cigar for the Sharks. Noddy needs to go if they are to have a hope.
WRONG - but I stand by what I predicted. The Sharks are no hope with Noddy and his magic inside ball are at the club. Will bow out in their 2nd finals game.

Sydney City Roosters - Fittler is untested over a season long campaign, and O'Mealy (burnt out) and Mason(good in a winning side but hit him hard early and he goes missing) are over-rated. Have lost alot of depth in the halves losing Wing, Soward and Lewis. Will have a more consistant season but fall short.
WRONG - The biggest suprise improvers this year IMO. Mason is still over-rated however.

St. George-Illawarra Dragons - Will improve on '07, but the doubt over the coach for '09 will be a worry. The last couple of years has seen some poor player retention. The fact that the Saints' finances are slowly diving into the red shows that there are issues with the front office. Close but not close enough.
Close - They finished 7th due to a very favourable draw that saw them play Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold Coast without their Origin stars.

///--- The Bottom Four ---///

Newcastle - Will have a more consistant season than '08 and should be safe from the spoon. If a team above falters they may finish higher. The very definition of a rebuilding year, but Smith should be given the bennifit of the doubt.
WRONG - were far more competitive than I predicted. Brian Smith will be able to extend his career by a decade due to the Knights '08 performance, moving from club to club ever 2-3 years as the man to bring in when a rebuild is required.

The Bulldogs - Lacks pack depth and impact (excluding Sonny-Bill), flair in the halves and speed in the backs. The coaching situation is unclear and the board has just had a big shake up. Will take some scalps if the opposition come unprepared, but are in desperate need of a new game plan.
Correct - No SBW, no Bulldogs success in '08. Recruited well for '09.

Wests Tigers - A poor undersized pack, injury prone halves in Marshall and Head (Morris doesn't count) and no home ground advantage to speak of (5 home ground in '08!) equal an ugly '08 for the Tigers. Recruitment is consistantly poor and their management has still somehow put them $250,000 over the salary cap. The one shinning light is Robbie Farrah, who will likely be unavaiable for 3 games mid year due to Origin duty. Post Canberra Tim Sheens has a win ratio of about 40% and only taken a team to the finals once, Spoon contenders if Penrith don't beat them to it.
Close - they finished 10th, but only by 1 win. Everything written above was correct however. Marshall and Head had inconsistant years, Morris still isn't a halfback, poor recruitment and cap management and Sheens still has a poor post Canberra record. Farrah didn't play Origin, though I'd expect it to be between him and Ennis in '09.

Penrith Panthers - The most over rated coach in the competition and not an established halve to speak of. Lazy ill-disiplined fowards, and although they have a solid back line will their halves be able to service them with quality ball? Another lean year for the Panthers despite the signing of Petro. My pick for the Spoon.
Close - They finished 12th. Elliot is no longer the most overrated coach in the competition because no one rates him anymore, still a lack of established halves although Luke Lewis is a handy stop gap.

I finished with:

4 picks correct (Melbourne, NZ, Canberra and the Bulldogs)

6 close predictions (Brisbane and the Gold Coast 1 place out from their predictions, the Panthers, Dragons and Tigers 1 game off where I predicted).

6 predictions way off, the Cowboys being the most dramatically wrong.

I'm giving myself 10/16.

Gaba

First Grade
/

///--- 9th - 12th ---///

St. George-Illawarra Dragons - Will improve on '07, but the doubt over the coach for '09 will be a worry. The last couple of years has seen some poor player retention. The fact that the Saints' finances are slowly diving into the red shows that there are issues with the front office. Close but not close enough.
Close - They finished 7th due to a very favourable draw that saw them play Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold Coast without their Origin stars.

I'm giving myself 10/16.

The dragons played them without thier origin stars too , the broncos and titians were going to be dragons victories no matter what broncos or goldcoast team was going to play them

as proven the dragons played the titans level twice and beat them

Broncos were stronger in the 2nd game and dragons beat them

The sharks got where they were due to their favourable draw too played broncos and other teams with out thier origin stars too and just won , where the dragons won easy

there goes your theory

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Timmah's predictions:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BUMP

For all those posters who had the Sharks in the bottom two, you now have egg on your faces.

FTR I tipped Bulldogs to get the wooden spoon.

and the biggest idiot is Timmah who tipped the Sharks to be wooden spooners and the Dogs to finish third.

:lol: You take slights on your pathetic, trophiless club way too personally, you dope. Everyone made predictions this year, mine were off the mark, so be it:

1 Warriors - Yep, underperformers and who could envisage McKinnon missing for the season?
2 Melbourne - Always gonna be up there
3 Bulldogs - pre-Mason leaving, Sonny leaving, Sherwin released... this might've been possible. Disappointing season but we'll put ourselves in the mix.
4 St George Illawarra - pretty close to the mark, one less choke and they'd have been here.
5 South Sydney - like the Warriors, lacked Wing in this case.
6 Gold Coast - same again - missed Prince & Bailey when it mattered.
7 Manly Warringah - I thought they'd fall a bit but they proved me wrong.
8 Parramatta - about par for the course - never thought they were anything special and if there's one thing Hagan's good at, it's driving a team south.

9 Penrith - about right again.
10 North Queensland - I thought I'd be eating humble pie with this one, turns out I actually rated them too highly. Plenty of people had these guys on top.
11 Wests Tigers - About right again.
12 Newcastle - close, knew it would be a re-building year for them but they certainly put up a fight. Deserved a finals spot ahead of NZ IMO.
13 Brisbane - couldn't have been more wrong. These guys are always there.
14 Sydney Roosters - proved me wrong most of the season but I haven't seen anything to suggest that they'll be anywhere but here next year if their forwards don't step up. 80% of their last 10 games have been nothing short of terrible.
15 Canberra - I think they surprised everyone.
16 Cronulla Sutherland - Finally shrugged the mid-season collapse but as long as we beat them in our only meeting this year I don't care too much Won't go far in the finals hopefully. Harold Holt's still missing tbh.

Fair dinkum, laying into a single member for predictions made early in the off-season... how sad are you?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
1-Melbourne
2-Brisbane
3-Manly
4-Warriors
5-Cronulla
6-St George-Illawarra
7-Sydney Roosters
8-Canberra
All hail t-ba

The man who got it right.

Well played.

Shorty

Staff member
I'd have a look at mine if I could be bothered searching for it.
Probably dramatically wrong on all levels though,LOL.

///--- 5th - 8th ---///

Manly - Solid defensivly, but the loss of Monaghan and Burns will hurt them with regards to halves depth. Will finish in the middle of the top 8.
Close. They are not as good as in 2007 IMO, but they covered for the lose of Monaghan far better than I imaged they would.
You aren't seriously going to claim that are you? The ladder doesn't measure how good you are compared to last year, it measures how good you are this year in comparison to everyone else. Your other 'close' ones are fair enough but I wouldn't call missing out on 1st place by 13 pts differential as 'close' to middle of the top 8.
9/16:p

The only reason I think the Dogs will go very well in 2008 is improved performances from players like Armit & Hickey to step up and fill the O'Meley void... and Michael Sullivan slotting into the #9 role.

:lol:

even better is your dribble at why we'll finish 14th next year ...

Jono078

Referee
1. Parra
2. Cowboys
3. Storm
4. Panthers
5. Bulldogs
6. Dragons
7. Eagles
8. Souths

9. Broncos
10. Warriors
11. Titans
12. Tigers
13. Knights
14. Raiders
15. Sharks
16. Roosters

more confident about the top 8 than the bottom 8.
I reckon that's the worst I read while looking for mine.

I think I did OK

My final ladder prediciton

1. Broncos
2. Storm
3. Eels
4. Roosters
5. Cowboys
6. Sharks
7. Raiders
8. Knights
9. Sea Eagles
10. Rabbitohs
11. Warriors
12. Dragons
13. Tigers
14. Panthers
15. Titans
16. Bulldogs

imasharkie

Coach
:lol: You take slights on your pathetic, trophiless club way too personally, you dope. Everyone made predictions this year, mine were off the mark, so be it:

Fair dinkum, laying into a single member for predictions made early in the off-season... how sad are you?

loser!!!

timmah =
dummyspit.jpg

coolumsharkie

Referee
the gimp said:
16 Cronulla Sutherland - Finally shrugged the mid-season collapse but as long as we beat them in our only meeting this year I don't care too much Won't go far in the finals hopefully. Harold Holt's still missing tbh.

Hows the wooden spoon feel gimp boy? Get used to it.

Latest posts