What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Ladder... have a go

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Timmah said:
Really surprised at the ranking of most people's in regards to Canterbury.

I don't really understand how a team with SB Williams in the forward pack and H El Masri kicking goals can go anywhere near a wooden spoon. I'm predicting better form and play than last year but no improvement on position due to a general rise in playing standard. We'll finish somewhere 6th-9th and MAYBE win our first finals match.
You're delusional. Halves are no shot, Forward pack is 1/10th of what it was and most damaging of all, there is no real speed in the backline.

The Dogs won't be getting flogged every week, but they'll lose a lot of games by 2-6 points, and that'll be the difference between them making the top 6, or keeping off the bottom of the table.

The Dogs shouldn't be looking at Finals football this year, they should be looking to secure a lot of juniors for the long term.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
All I'm saying is 15th-16th is a bit OTT, just my opinion.

The most damaging our forward pack was last year was in the papers when Willie and Shrek kept talking us up all the time, then they went out there and got trampled. Without those two yakking in the paper all year I think the forward pack might actually aim up and surprise... who knows. All I know is that we won't be bottom feeders.

Juniors
i like the eels, warriors, manly and storm for the top 4, dark horse would be sharkies, wooden spoon brisbane, and timmah, bulldogs just arn't what they used to be... lucky to make the 8 in my opinion

Frederick

Staff member
Timmah said:
Andrew Johns ring a bell? :lol:
Congrats. You've pointed out that we were a one man team. Whoopee for you.

Sonny Bill and El Masri are NOT Andrew Johns, and are no-where near him in terms of talent and ability to lead a team around and make others around them look like world beaters.

runatme

Bench
Timmah said:
Really surprised at the ranking of most people's in regards to Canterbury.

I don't really understand how a team with SB Williams in the forward pack and H El Masri kicking goals can go anywhere near a wooden spoon. I'm predicting better form and play than last year but no improvement on position due to a general rise in playing standard. We'll finish somewhere 6th-9th and MAYBE win our first finals match.

HA

1 Storm (run away minor premiers)
2 Sea Eagles (Will be brought back, will only make it here on F/A)
3 Warriors (Will be more consistent)
4 Eels (Similar result to 2007, except they will start a lot better)
5 Roosters (Bought well, top 17 is very strong)
6 Sharks (Will get a lot more luck in 2008)
7 Tigers (Finally have a proper halfback, will go better)
8 Dragons (The youngens have more experience now, key players will play more games)

9 Knights (They will finish strong, but will take a while to click)
10 Broncos (lost too much experience, new buys are all average)
11 Panthers (too much inexperience in the halves, will be inconsistent)
12 Souths (Cusack is a massive loss, nobody will take them lightly)
13 Cowboys (No Thurston at the start of the year will hurt them, as will SOO, will finish well, but fall short)
14 Raiders (avoid the spoon as usual
15 Titans (Can't see them finishing any higher)
16 Dogs (Halfback-Ben Robberts, Nuff Said)

Iafeta

Referee
LOL @ me if I've already put a prediction in here which no doubt will completely be against what I do here LOL

1 Melbourne Storm - They look a cut above squad wise again
2 North Queensland Cowboys - The addition of Burns to the halves is a good touch, as long as Sione "Don't mind if I do" Faumuina continues to get suspended they'll go well
3 Warriors - Liking the addition of Tate, sceptical about the loss of Gatis and concerned about the impact of weak organisational and kicking halves
4 Sydney Roosters - I've got question marks on O'Meley at the Chooks, but largely I think it's an impressive pack and I'm expecting big things from James Aubusson
5 St George Illawarra Dragons - Expecting big things this year from Jamie Soward and Rangi Chase. I think they're best leaving Gasnier in centres and letting these kids run the show.
6 South Sydney Rabbitohs - Eddie Paea, really there's so much hype it'll be good to see a Kiwi halfback come through.
7 Manly Sea Eagles - The loss of Michael Monaghan is massive, and I also will add that Chris Hicks was a seriously underrated winger who did a lot of good hit up work early in a set to get them going forward
8 Brisbane Broncos - the addition of PJ Marsh is a smart move, but I'm still concerned about who partners Lockyer, perhaps they're best suited with Hunt at half. They've lost some great players though, and the pressure will be on Taylor to man up on behalf of Petrols 70calitre
9 Parramatta Eels - I'd rate them a lot higher, but I think Tim Smith's kicking game will be a loss if he's out "indefinitely". Also PJ again was a gutsy little competitor. I'm expecting a big season from both Mateo and Burt.
10 Cronulla Sharks - Greg Bird is the man here, he could move them anywhere up to the top 4. A bit of inexperience out wide though, but a gun backrow.
11 Gold Coast Titans - Scott Prince had a stellar season last year, but he needs to stay on the paddock all season for them to survive. Josh Lewis is a kid on the rise.
12 Wests Tigers - Good pick up in Matt Head to direct them around, if he can stay on the paddock. I think their pack is a little too light and could get rolled. Glass shoulder is also the $50m question, if he is fit and confident he can be the gamebreaker they desperately need. I expect a big season from Chris Lawrence.
13 Canberra Raiders - I'm surprised I've got them down here, they seriously have one of the gutsiest packs in the comp, and a seriously underrated one. There's not many of their forwards that I wouldn't want in a squad, they're usually big units with good mobility and ball skills. I suspect what they did to Parramatta last year in the first 20 or so will become something more consistent over the next couple of years. I'm expecting a big season from William Zillman, and I'm liking the look of Adrian Purtell. The one player I don't rate though for some reason is Withers, and I think you need that spark out of dummy half.
14 Penrith Panthers - They're better off without Gower, because he caused the club a load of culture problems with his antics, and Petero will be a sensational signing, but I think the halves need a season to regroup and then we could see a seriously special era for this team, much the same way I think Canberra will start to develop into a consistently good football club given they've taken the steps and time with patience to develop some good keen youngsters.
15 Canterbury Bulldogs - So much going on here, they need Sonny Bill on the paddock 24/7. Sherwin's kicking game usually gets them repeat sets which they feed off, and I suspect that's a big loss although he's not rated by most. Ben Roberts needs to find more consistency.
16 Newcastle Knights - IMHO they're starting off a process that will be beneficial for them long term, to rebuild. Their halves need time to gel together consistently in big heat games. Patterson and Vuna excite me.

I think this competition will be very tight actually, I think the bottom three or four will still be pushing the gate for finals footy very very late in the season. Some of those teams I've got down below I have no problems with saying they could be top four teams. It should be a great competition, again.

Misanthrope said:
I fail to see how Wests improved in the off season. I'd like them to do well, I've always had a soft spot for them, but their side remains one of the worst in the competition outside of Farah and Marshall. And one of those guys spends more time on the shelf than spam.

for starters we have a good halfback who can kick andfind space we havent had that since prince

we added Payne,Head and Youngquest we lost Galea(out of form),Whatuira (was letting in twice as many tries as he scored),and Fitzhenry :)sarcasm:)

btw did u know that this worst team was still in cotention for a top 4 spot with 4 rounds too go and that we had Hodgson and Marshall out for Half the year?????

Tigers might not have the best team ,but did u think they had the best team in 05? or penrith in 03? or even broncos in 06????

anyways im remaining postive otherwise whats the point of supporting league

madunit said:
you dumb f**k.

in 2007, The Tigers had one of the poorest forward packs in the competition, some of the poorest defenders in the backs, poor halves, and a less than impressive bench.

In 2008 they will have one of the poorest forward packs, some of the poorest defenders in the backs, improved halves, and a slightly improved bench.

The Tigers at best will achieve 8th spot, on differential. They won't get the spoon either.

how the hell do u know anything can happen we can win or finish last u just never know

but if we stay injury free i still think we can get a top 4 spot and after that anything can happen

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Dragon_psa said:
A rough guess for the 8, not taking injury tolls into consideration.

1. Cowboys
2. Newcastle (will be the massive improvers)
3. Warriors
4. Melbourne
5. Souths
6. Saints
7. Manly
8. Brisbane/Easts/Eels

Spoon - Tigers or Raiders
I like the way you think. I could definitely live with that.

OVP

Coach
Gee_Up said:
Logic? Ha.. I was at both our clashes last season and Wing and Monaghan were the only two to break the line with ease.. Anasta the real over-rated pretty boy did what he does best.. nothing. His mid field bombs are a real pressure cooker.. :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The way you talk it up, you'd actually think Souffs have beaten the Roosters more than just twice in 13 years. Fool :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
1. Melbourne Storm
2. North Queensland Cowboys
3. Brisbane Broncos
4. Sydney Roosters
5. Manly Sea Eagles
6. Parramatta Eels
7. New Zealand Warriors
8. Cronulla Sharks

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Timmah said:
We'll finish somewhere 6th-9th and MAYBE win our first finals match.

If you come 9th how do you play a finals match? :lol:

Sorry Tim, but this was a chance to forum cop the forum cop. ;-) :lol::lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
joel caine number 1 fan said:
how the hell do u know anything can happen we can win or finish last u just never know

but if we stay injury free i still think we can get a top 4 spot and after that anything can happen
You f**king mong.

There is no hope of the Tigers reaching 4th on the ladder. They'd be idiots to think they can consistently out perform Melbourne, Manly, Brisbane, Cowboys, Warriors, Roosters and Parramatta

Latest posts