What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Ladder... have a go

ozzie

Bench
t-ba said:
Really?

Wouldn't he be more like "He're we go again?" after the last three seasons with the Roosters?
nothing but the truth but think of the pack he could have played behind or in this year

Lego_Man

First Grade
1. Cowboys
2. Storm
3. Panthers
4. Eels
5. Tigers
6. Broncos
7. Roosters
8. Sea Eagles

9. Warriors
10. Sharks
11. Rabbitohs
12. Dragons
13. Raiders
14. Bulldogs
15. Titans
16. Knights

hairy asad

Juniors
1) Cowboys
2) Storm
3) Broncos
4) Rabbitohs
5) Sharks
6) Eels
7) Dragons
8) Titans

9) Warriors
10) Sea Eagles
11) Roosters
12) Bulldogs
13) Panthers
14) Knights
15) Raiders
16) Tigers

Grail

Juniors
1: Storm
2: Eels
3: Broncos
4: Roosters
5: Cowboys
6: Sea Eagles
7: Knights
8: Rabbitohs

9: Dragons
10: Bulldogs
11: Sharks
12: Penrith
13: Warriors
14: Tigers
15: Raiders
16: Titans

Apey

Staff member
1. Storm
2. Eels
3. Cowboys
4. Sea Eagles
5. Broncos
6. Warriors
7. Sharks
8. Roosters
9. Rabbitohs
10. Knights
11. Dragons
12. Panthers
13. Bulldogs
14. Raiders
15. Tigers
16. Titans

Optimistic ladder would have Knights in bottom half of top 8 :D

_Johnsy

Referee
My table has changed a bit

Top 4 in no partucular order
Storm - Eels - Cowboys - Souths

4th - 8th no order
Roosters - Warriors - Dragons - Sea Eagles

9th - almost spoon
Broncos - Bulldogs - Sharks - Penrith - Tigers - Raiders - Titans

Spoon
Knights

ocko

juniors
1. manly
2. melbourne
3. parramatta
4. north qld
5. sharks
6. souths
7. roosters
8. brisbane

9. penrith
10. bulldogs
11. warriors
12. dragons
13. tigers
14. knights
15. titans
16. raiders

BrisVegas

Juniors
here are my final predictions for Season 2008:

///--- The Top 4 ---///

The Cowboys - The Dynamic Duo of Thurston and Bowen, Some of the best recruitment of 2007 bringing Travis Burns, Ben Harris and John Williams to the far north. A formidable home ground advantage and excellent foward depth given the number of player blooded last year.The only downside is Murray being sacked before the season has even started. If Thurston plays the majority of the year they are my pick for the minor premiership.

Melbourne Storm - The reigning premiers, Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis, Falou, Bellamy - The Storm have the personel to go back to back. Will be interesting to see how they cope while Bellamy is on Origin duty. Have lost a few players but their production line will likely spit out more than adequet replacements. Add the best home ground advantage in the league and a well drilled workman like pack and they are top 4 near certanties.

Brisbane Broncos - Some astute purchases sees a far more balanced Broncos team take the field in '08. The club now has far greater creative attacking options with the introduction of Wallace and Marsh. Terrific pack depth with Clinton, Hannatt (bolter for Origin duty), Thaiday, Carroll, Eastwood, Stagg, Sims, Parker, Taylor, Kenny, Ennis and PJ Marsh all on the books. Hodges is the number 1 centre in the game and Hunt is always dangerous chiming in from the back, and is rock solid in his kick returns. The club will want to send Bennett out on a high note.

Parramatta - Probably the best starting 3/4 line in the comp. Add to that a solid pack with the right mix of workman and explosiveness and they should be dangerous. While Smith and Finch are a solid halves combination that should take the team into the top 4, they probably lack that extra class to take them to the Grand Final. Eliminated in Week 2 or 3 of the finals.

///--- 5th - 8th ---///

Manly - Solid defensivly, but the loss of Monaghan and Burns will hurt them with regards to halves depth. Will finish in the middle of the top 8.

South Sydney - Good coach, great front office. A fanstatic defensive team that will worry the opposition when they are on the attack with the addition of Wing and Issac Luke being the first choice hooker. Kidwell (likely) playing more games will be a huge plus. Will improve on there '07 results by a place or two.

The Warriors - A fearsome pack, good home ground advantage and talented coach should see them make the 8. Looking forward to seeing the debut of Sonny Fai and Packer. Will need to unearth or purchase a game breaking half to be true premiership contenders. McKinnon out for the season is a real shame.

Canberra Raiders - A talented young side with a highly rated tactician for a coach and the best home ground advantage in the comp outside of Melbourne. They have the most under-rated pack in the comp with some great depth. All they need is someone to step up and partner Carney in the halves (Herbert?, Campese?) and a bit more flair in the hooking role (perhaps the signing of Flannagan from Wests Tigers as was rumoured?). Important year for the Raider with over half their top 25 squad off contract. If they get their rectruitment and retainment right their is no reason they can't be legitiment contenders in a season or two's time.

///--- 9th - 12th ---///

Gold Coast Titans - A really good starting side that will go close but just come up short due to a lack of depth. A very important year for the Gold Coast with a large portion of the playing roster off contract. The correct recruitment and retention could see them emerge as a powerhouse club over the next few seasons.

Cronulla Sharks - A great pack but ordinary halves and backs. Another year of close but no cigar for the Sharks. Noddy needs to go if they are to have a hope.

Sydney City Roosters - Fittler is untested over a season long campaign, and O'Mealy (burnt out) and Mason(good in a winning side but hit him hard early and he goes missing) are over-rated. Have lost alot of depth in the halves losing Wing, Soward and Lewis. Will have a more consistant season but fall short.

St. George-Illawarra Dragons - Will improve on '07, but the doubt over the coach for '09 will be a worry. The last couple of years has seen some poor player retention. The fact that the Saints' finances are slowly diving into the red shows that there are issues with the front office. Close but not close enough.

///--- The Bottom Four ---///

Newcastle - Will have a more consistant season than '08 and should be safe from the spoon. If a team above falters they may finish higher. The very definition of a rebuilding year, but Smith should be given the bennifit of the doubt.

The Bulldogs - Lacks pack depth and impact (excluding Sonny-Bill), flair in the halves and speed in the backs. The coaching situation is unclear and the board has just had a big shake up. Will take some scalps if the opposition come unprepared, but are in desperate need of a new game plan.

Wests Tigers - A poor undersized pack, injury prone halves in Marshall and Head (Morris doesn't count) and no home ground advantage to speak of (5 home ground in '08!) equal an ugly '08 for the Tigers. Recruitment is consistantly poor and their management has still somehow put them $250,000 over the salary cap. The one shinning light is Robbie Farrah, who will likely be unavaiable for 3 games mid year due to Origin duty. Post Canberra Tim Sheens has a win ratio of about 40% and only taken a team to the finals once, Spoon contenders if Penrith don't beat them to it.

Penrith Panthers - The most over rated coach in the competition and not an established halve to speak of. Lazy ill-disiplined fowards, and although they have a solid back line will their halves be able to service them with quality ball? Another lean year for the Panthers despite the signing of Petro. My pick for the Spoon.

Tommax25

Bench
Storm
Eels
Manly
Cowboys

Warriors
Roosters
Broncos

Tigers

Penrith
Titans

Souths
Dragons

Sharks
Raiders

Bulldogs
Knights

magpie_man

Juniors
Melbourne
Parramatta
Easts
Cronulla
Wests
Canberra
Gold Coast
New Zealand

Manly
Brisbane
North Queensland
Newcastle
Penrith
St George Illawarra
Souths
Canterbury

borat

Bench
Roosters
Melbourne
Brisbane
North Queensland
St George
Canberra
Souths
Parramatta

Manly
Warriors
Gold Coast
Tigers
Penrith
Bulldogs
Cronulla
Knights

OVP

Coach
f**k it ... heres mine ... i bet i win sh*tloads :)

Top 4 teams ... no order

Manly
Eels
Roosters
Melbourne (grudgingly btw ... no way they will even go close to going back to back)

Next 4

Canberra will kick some serious arse this year ... 5th imo :)

Throw in Brisbane (who could EASILY take Melbourne's spot in the top four)

The titans ... JC is a great bloke and hopefully will be a great coach.

and The Warriors ... Cleary is a great coach as well ... trained by the roosters as JC and RS was :)

What i reckon is that there's going to be some serious changes to the top teams this year ... and i'd back all the teams ive mentioned so far (surely to christ thats a better bet than any Moffo bet :lol:)

Heheh wherforartthou Moff ?

Jono078

Referee
My final ladder prediciton

1. Broncos
2. Storm
3. Eels
4. Roosters
5. Cowboys
6. Sharks
7. Raiders
8. Knights
9. Sea Eagles
10. Rabbitohs
11. Warriors
12. Dragons
13. Tigers
14. Panthers
15. Titans
16. Bulldogs

Would look ok if I swapped the Titans with Cowboys and Eels with Sea Eagles :D

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: at every post I made rubbishing the 'Dogs spoon aspirations. I honestly think if our injury run not been so bad we'd be halfway up but "if" is a wonderful word.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
If Kidley could kick goals earlier in the season, we'd be higher up the table too :fist:

Latest posts