What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Ladder... have a go

Bicey_18

Bench
skeepe said:
I think I'll update my table a little now that we know a bit more about what the season ahead holds

1. Parramatta Eels
2. Melbourne Storm
3. Canberra Raiders
4. Cronulla Sharks
5. North Queensland Cowboys
6. South Sydney Rabbitohs
7. Brisbane Broncos
8. Manly Sea Eagles

9. New Zealand Warriors
10. Sydney Roosters
11. Gold Coast Titans
12. St George Illawarra Dragons
13. Wests Tigers
14. Penrith Panthers
15. Canterbury Bulldogs
16. Newcastle Knights

Raiders will go nowhere near the top 4, nice to see your consistent though;-)

Bicey_18

Bench
1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. North Queensland
4. Parramatta
5. Manly
6. New Zealand
7. Cronulla
8. Souths

9. Newcastle
10. St George
11. Sydney
12. Wests
13. Penrith
14. Canterbury
15. Canberra
16. Gold Coast

Bicey_18

Bench
Frederick said:
And you represent an even smaller portion of supporters.

Considering the quality of our squad last year, yes. Yes they were.

Was exactly my point... last year's squad was medicore at best.. barring a few players

Shorty

Staff member
Ok now that we got some unfortunate news and that the season is at reach,I reckon I'll have another go.

1.Manly
2.Cowboys*
3.Eels
4.Warriors*
5.Storm
6.Sharks
7.Souths
8.Knights

Now this is still a pretty vague guess of things,the top 3 imo opinion are a bit more concrete than the other 5 excluding the Storm that will finish somewhere in the 8.

Manly - Very similar to Storm 2006 where in they were consistent and overachieving and then when it came to the final,they were embarrassed and beaten.
Because of this,they'll want to right the wrongs.

Cowboys - Ok we're quite high up there,but note the *,this is on a few teams because imo it's all down to how they go in the first few games.
If we are winning games convincingly without Thurston before he comes back,we're only going to be more lethal when he returns.
If not we'll be 6/7th.
I've become a bit more confident about the Murray saga,and I think the players will either try and have him go out on a high note or play happily knowing a new coach is on the way.

Eels - They have a great team,all they can do is improve more and try and become more consistent.

Warriors - They're another questionable team in regards to starting positions,if they can find a suitable replacement for Wade and somehow have him back early,they'll have this spot.
If not I would say 8/9th.

Storm - I'm surprised so many people have them up the top again and back to back.
Of course this is very possible however they don't have a fire in their belly this time round.
They were on a mission last year,this year isn't going to be the same.
Sure on paper their team is ridiculous...but I think their intensity will drop a little.

Sharks - Yes brave prediction lol,if their coach isn't an idiot with the halves and don't have brain explosions than they may very well be premiership contenders(yes I just said that).

Souths - They built a foundation on what's to come last year,now they need to keep it up.

Knights - Knights have fire in the belly from last year,their intensity will raise and their young will have something to prove.

I do think that a number of teams in the 16 can make the 8,it's just too hard to tell though and this is just a bit of a guess still at this stage.

I can however outline who I think won't be making the 8 to narrow it done a tad.

Bulldogs
- Quite honestly their team looks average with aging and tired players.
Sonny Bill's great but he doesn't determine matches.
This period will be a time of rebuilding imo.
Sorry Tim lol.

Tigers - They were just awful last year(except when they kicked Cow's bums LOL!) and that was with their two star players.
I can't see things changing really.

Canberra - They just don't impress me,and perhaps they'll improve up the ladder a bit but I really cannot see them competing with the teams in the 8.

macavity

Referee
after seeing the Knights v Warriors trial

I am now very very confident we will make the 8 - we have a fairly well balanced side, lots of depth, and im confident Smithy is going to do his usual trick and turn some fringe guys into very solid players.

I see the Wuzzies sliding a bit - especially now McKinnon is gone.

GotheTITANS

Juniors
Ok now that we got some unfortunate news and that the season is at reach,I reckon I'll have another go.

1.Manly
2.Cowboys*
3.Eels
4.Warriors*
5.Storm
6.Sharks
7.Souths
8.Knights

Now this is still a pretty vague guess of things,the top 3 imo opinion are a bit more concrete than the other 5 excluding the Storm that will finish somewhere in the 8.

Manly - Very similar to Storm 2006 where in they were consistent and overachieving and then when it came to the final,they were embarrassed and beaten.
Because of this,they'll want to right the wrongs.

Cowboys - Ok we're quite high up there,but note the *,this is on a few teams because imo it's all down to how they go in the first few games.
If we are winning games convincingly without Thurston before he comes back,we're only going to be more lethal when he returns.
If not we'll be 6/7th.
I've become a bit more confident about the Murray saga,and I think the players will either try and have him go out on a high note or play happily knowing a new coach is on the way.

Eels - They have a great team,all they can do is improve more and try and become more consistent.

Warriors - They're another questionable team in regards to starting positions,if they can find a suitable replacement for Wade and somehow have him back early,they'll have this spot.
If not I would say 8/9th.

Storm - I'm surprised so many people have them up the top again and back to back.
Of course this is very possible however they don't have a fire in their belly this time round.
They were on a mission last year,this year isn't going to be the same.
Sure on paper their team is ridiculous...but I think their intensity will drop a little.

Sharks - Yes brave prediction lol,if their coach isn't an idiot with the halves and don't have brain explosions than they may very well be premiership contenders(yes I just said that).

Souths - They built a foundation on what's to come last year,now they need to keep it up.

Knights - Knights have fire in the belly from last year,their intensity will raise and their young will have something to prove.

I do think that a number of teams in the 16 can make the 8,it's just too hard to tell though and this is just a bit of a guess still at this stage.

I can however outline who I think won't be making the 8 to narrow it done a tad.

Bulldogs - Quite honestly their team looks average with aging and tired players.
Sonny Bill's great but he doesn't determine matches.
This period will be a time of rebuilding imo.
Sorry Tim lol.

Tigers - They were just awful last year(except when they kicked Cow's bums LOL!) and that was with their two star players.
I can't see things changing really.

Canberra - They just don't impress me,and perhaps they'll improve up the ladder a bit but I really cannot see them competing with the teams in the 8.

The Eagles wont finnish on top. There gonna miss Monoghan big time maybe chris hicks as well.

The cowboys 2nd is a great possibility but it all depends on how many games thurston misses at the start of the season.

Shorty

Staff member
GotheTITANS said:
The Eagles wont finnish on top. There gonna miss Monoghan big time maybe chris hicks as well.
Well yeah we'll see what goes on,I've put them there basically because nobody else is as consisent.
I don't think Melbourne are going to be the same this year,perhaps the Eels.
GotheTITANS said:
The cowboys 2nd is a great possibility but it all depends on how many games thurston misses at the start of the season.
I think it'll depend more on how the other halves step up without Thurston.

coolumsharkie

Referee
dannyboy said:
Are you aware that the Sharks last year actually had a better for-and-against differential than the Cowboys, Dogs, Rabs & Broncs (all who made the 8) AND that just a single extra goal in 4 of their matches (hell even a field goal in regular time, if they could ever learn how to kick them) would've had them finish 4th.

They may not have the 'spark' to get the monkey off their back but I reckon they're extremely long odds for another pot stirrer.

This year, strongest squad since 2002.
One of the most painful era's as a Sharks supporter for me, these last couple of years.... including the early 80's.

Our season hinges on some youngsters so I still reckon 2009 is the year we will have our best shot.

t-ba

Post Whore
GotheTITANS said:

We were going to miss Kennedy big apparently.

Ballin's a more than capable replacement, and will suit Orfords game better. It's whether the fat one can step up and take some pressure off of Orford that will decide our season.

Jono078

Referee
My final ladder prediciton

1. Broncos
2. Storm
3. Eels
4. Roosters
5. Cowboys
6. Sharks
7. Raiders
8. Knights
9. Sea Eagles
10. Rabbitohs
11. Warriors
12. Dragons
13. Tigers
14. Panthers
15. Titans
16. Bulldogs

macavity

Referee
IMO Manly will be the big sliders. bottom half of the 8.

I am told by someone who would know that Dessie now sees Perry as Manly's #1 prop - exact words Dessie: "he will play for Australia this year"

I have a soft spot for sponge cake, so for his sake I hope so, but geez, thats a lot of faith in the big creamy one.

:crazy:

t-ba

Post Whore
Meh. He turned George Rose into a passable first grader. Our front row rotation was probably one of the three best in the comp last year. With Perry's talent, all it's going to take is an attitude re-alignment and a diet.

rabbit4ever

Juniors
1/ Storm
2/ Eels
3/ Sea Eagles
4/ Bunnies
5/ Roosters
6/ Cowboys
7/ Broncos
8/ Dragons
9/ Panthers
10/ Warriors
11/ Sharks
12/ Titans
13/Bulldogs
14/ Knights
15/ Tigers
16/ Raiders

effnic

Bench
GotheTITANS said:

You must be a f**king millionaire from all the money you win in tipping, i mean what else could give you the right to tell someone there tip is just flat out wrong before the season has started. JACKASS.

Billythekid

First Grade
1 - Storm
2 - Eels
3 - Cowboys
4 - Knights
5 - Bunnies
6 - Dragons
7 - Broncos
8 - Warriors
9 - Titans (I'm hoping they make the eight)
10 - Manly
11 - Bulldogs
12 - Panthers
13 - Roosters
14 - Tigers (hopefully they get higher, i think they can have to wait and see their squad)
15 - Raiders
16 - Sharks

effnic said:
You must be a f**king millionaire from all the money you win in tipping, i mean what else could give you the right to tell someone there tip is just flat out wrong before the season has started. JACKASS.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Latest posts