What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 AFC Asian Cup Round 1 - Australia v Kuwait :: @ Canberra :: March 5 2009

Australia v Kuwait

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fish eel

Immortal
I'd have had both of them in there ahead of Pondeljak and Thompson

so where would you play both of them?

I would have kept Pondeljak there, but played him in a central role, behind the strikers with Dodd out wide.

Problem with Pondeljak tonight, was he was on the right, but kept coming infield, leaving noone wide

weasel

First Grade
I was thinking tonight that if we're goona persist with them maybe it might be worthwhile organising friendly tours for our a-league socceroos squads to try and gain them experience and get familiar playing with each other. There's such a huge gap between seasons it's only really the clubs in the ACL that will miss their players. Apart from the Euro teams it's quite common for nations to play friendlies at any given time throughout the year, and not just on fifa dates. Kuwait themselves warmed up for our match with a few games in NZ, where they barely beat the NZ domestic top dogs, 2-1. I would expect even our worst A-League side should beat Waitekere but it sounds like the cream of the crop from those clubs can't even compete with Kuwait as well as that amateur kiwi club. There can be no excuses for this, Pim has to go.

skeepe

Immortal
f**k that was disappointing. Do any of the A-League based Socceroos know how to shoot?

I was front row in line with the Kuwait goal, player was easily offside but, on the balance of play, they probably deserved it anyway. How frustrating it was. The only positive was the excellent turnout. 20,000 is not bad for Canberra at all.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
That is the worst game of football I've seen in a long time.

I wont either bother reading the other posts here...

chileman

Coach
What was the score in the end, 1-0? Didn't hear or see a thing here in Chile but sounds like I didn't miss much :?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
So, what excuses are the Pim lovers going to roll out today?

- Not enough preparation? (a favourite)
- All HAL players are sh*t?
- The grass was too long?
- He is only being paid $2 million to qualify us for the WC, so who cares about the Asian Cup?

The man is a fraud, should never have been hired because he had a mediocre CV and only ever got the job because he was Dutch.

We are paying this drongo $2 million dollars a season for that. What an absolute disgrace. There are better and more adventurous coaches in my local AA2 comp.

And what's even more depressing is that the usual idiots will claim that the A-League players aren't capable of any better.

They might be if (a) they're not given every reason to believe they're sh*t by almost every single comment their coach makes, (b) they're not given additional reason to believe they're sh*t by being given an insulting squad number, (c) they're played in a formation that doesn't limit the attacking threat from midfield to one young double-marked winger, (d) the substitutions during the game are actually appropriate to the situation, (e) arguably the A-League's best player is actually picked for the squad.

Verbleak is a fraud and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

match summary.

drive to the ground. the CIT have built over where my dad and now i have been parking since i was one. bad omen.

anyway. get into the ground. won an optus hat by kicking a penalty past a stationary cutout of a penguin.

lined up again to boot the ball at the penguin.

sit in seats. not a big crowd. whats going on? once again canberrans leave their houses too late to get to the game. crowd was full after 30 minutes of the game. good crowd numbers but not much noise. not much to be noisy about.

Socceroos. Rubbish. could have been alot worse. couldnt hold possesion. blunt up front. poor marking from the goal.

A league guys not up to it. tactics poor. questioning verbleak.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
A league guys not up to it.

Rubbish.

Pim's attack on the A-League was no more than a tactic to provide a soft-landing when the wheels fell off as they did last night.

He carried on and on in the press about the low quality of the A-League and it's players, bagging Thompson and Allsopp in public, yet he still selected both of them.

It's clear he was readying himself for a soft landing and trying to deflect attention from his ineptitude as a coach.

fish eel

Immortal
So, what excuses are the Pim lovers going to roll out today?

- Not enough preparation? (a favourite)
- All HAL players are sh*t?
- The grass was too long?
- He is only being paid $2 million to qualify us for the WC, so who cares about the Asian Cup?

The man is a fraud, should never have been hired because he had a mediocre CV and only ever got the job because he was Dutch.

We are paying this drongo $2 million dollars a season for that. What an absolute disgrace. There are better and more adventurous coaches in my local AA2 comp.

And what's even more depressing is that the usual idiots will claim that the A-League players aren't capable of any better.

They might be if (a) they're not given every reason to believe they're sh*t by almost every single comment their coach makes, (b) they're not given additional reason to believe they're sh*t by being given an insulting squad number, (c) they're played in a formation that doesn't limit the attacking threat from midfield to one young double-marked winger, (d) the substitutions during the game are actually appropriate to the situation, (e) arguably the A-League's best player is actually picked for the squad.

Verbleak is a fraud and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Dodd?

Rubbish.

Pim's attack on the A-League was no more than a tactic to provide a soft-landing when the wheels fell off as they did last night.

He carried on and on in the press about the low quality of the A-League and it's players, bagging Thompson and Allsopp in public, yet he still selected both of them.

It's clear he was readying himself for a soft landing and trying to deflect attention from his ineptitude as a coach.

not withstanding the fact that they were slow, couldnt finish and cant hold onto the ball.

poorly coached players who played poorly.

griffo346

First Grade
verbeek "its the end of the a-league season, The players been on the piss" - lol he prob would be thinking that

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Welcome aboard. It will only be a matter of time before everyone here is on the Pim is useless bangwagon.

By the way, the last time we played Kuwait at home, we won 2-0. Graham Arnold was coaching and guess who scored in that same match? The player deemed not good enough to make an A-League squad according to our esteemed, overpaid coach.

Latest posts