What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 AFC Asian Cup Round 1 - Australia v Kuwait :: @ Canberra :: March 5 2009

Australia v Kuwait

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fish eel

Immortal
FMD is this really the best the A-League has to offer?

This is park football FFS.

No.

These players are better.

Needs more Travis Dodd, TBH.

Zullo down the left, Dodd down the right, stretching the kuwaities around the park and making more space in the middle.

Instead, we've got a slowish central player (pondeljak) playing on the right. and he keeps drifting infield anyway, so we really have nobody wide on the right.

dumb, dumb, dumb.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
And now sacking Pim is a viable option. The fact is, regardless of the fact he only has A-League players to draw on, they should be enough to get the result against a f**king nothing nation like Kuwait.

Someone needs to be held accountable for the questionable selections, the decision not to bring back a single Asian based player, and the mind-numbing decision to persist with Archie Thompson as an international striker and Tom Pondeljak as an international playmaker.

Tom Shines

First Grade
I've well and truly gone to the dark side with regards to thinking Verbleak is a dud - and a bit of a c**k, too - but against my better judgement I'm gonna give him yet ANOTHER chance to redeem himself, and prove himself worthy of once again giving me faith in the Socceroos.

However, if he disappoints me again with another insipid, one-dimensional, lacklustre load of f**king crap performance, complete with dysfunctional, impotent attack, I will be ramping my anti-Pim propaganda campaign into hyperdrive.

There will be no holding me back, I will become an unstoppable force of merciless and sometimes irrational mocking and hatred as the basis of my "SA2009: Pim Out!" campaign.

Full page tabloid ads, anti-Dutch hate rallies, burning clogs on his front lawn, voodoo rants, uncooth internet rants, the works.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but he will have left me little choice.

:D

Get that soapbox ready Hybrid...

Tommy Smith

Referee
*Awaits Hybrid's rant.*

It'll be monumental!!!

On a more serious note that was the single most embarrassing performance ive ever seen from a football team given their big favouritism in the match. It was so bad that it may have set football back 20 years in this country!

Not one player with an ounce of skill. I didn't see one player dribble the ball or put in a decent cross. And as for Archie Thompson and Matt Simon, FMD!

What a dark day in Australian football. And oh yeah, another game without a goal with Verbeek in charge.

So to those that thought the 0-0 score in Indoesia was a great result, what about this one? Have you woken up yet?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
wasn't that Simon's frist run in teh gold jersey ?

if so I wouldn't be too hard on him,

Archie Thompson however, he has never stood up for Australia, yet plays well in the A League

that says a lot about the jump to hyperspeed, he just cant make it

Tom Shines

First Grade
wasn't that Simon's frist run in teh gold jersey ?

if so I wouldn't be too hard on him,

Archie Thompson however, he has never stood up for Australia, yet plays well in the A League

that says a lot about the jump to hyperspeed, he just cant make it
He played agaunst much tougher opposition on the weekend that he did tonight, and did f**k all.

He's a hack who is still dining out on the 75 goals he scored in the one match against American Samoa.

fish eel

Immortal
Simon is still starting out and I wouldnt hold that against him.

Hearing Pim talking about how he cant bring back euro players, thats crap.

Guys like David Carney, Josh Kennedy - aren't playing for their club and could have come back

Other guys like Bruce Djite, Nikita Rukavysta didnt have any mid week games and may have been able to fly in and out.

Also, I believe the Russian League isnt playing at the moment so no reason why Luke Wilkshire couldnt have played.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'd imagine all of those in Asian leagues would have been able to play too. Jade North, Mark Milligan, Joel Griffiths etc wouldn't have been bad for us on experience alone.

fish eel

Immortal
I'd imagine all of those in Asian leagues would have been able to play too. Jade North, Mark Milligan, Joel Griffiths etc wouldn't have been bad for us on experience alone.

I wouldnt have picked any of those 3 even if they were still in Australia - maybe just North.

weasel

First Grade
Simon really lacks pace though. Actually, Fishy, Rukavytsya's FC Twente played a cup game last night european time, but of course he's not even getting a run on the bench atm, so there's no reason he couldn't have been available, we could have really used his speed. There's plenty of other players in Europe that rarely even make the bench...

But, I really don't think our a-league players are as bad as they have looked in these asia cup qualifiers (well maybe some - Barbiero's there wholly by virtue of fluking a nice goal in a semi-final, Pondeljak cuz he scored a rather lucky goal in a GF... jesus titty f**king christ). I'm beginning to suspect Pim bags the A-league so much so he can use it to justify our poorness in these qualifiers.

fish eel

Immortal
Simon really lacks pace though. Actually, Fishy, Rukavytsya's FC Twente played a cup game last night european time, but of course he's not even getting a run on the bench atm, so there's no reason he couldn't have been available, we could have really used his speed. There's plenty of other players in Europe that rarely even make the bench...

Didnt know Twente played a cup match.

Rukavytsya actually got a run off the bench on the weekend though.

Point taken though, a much better squad could have been picked.

But, I really don't think our a-league players are as bad as they have looked in these asia cup qualifiers
(well maybe some - Barbiero's there wholly by virtue of fluking a nice goal in a semi-final, Pondeljak cuz he scored a rather lucky goal in a GF... jesus titty f**king christ). I'm beginning to suspect Pim bags the A-league so much so he can use it to justify our poorness in these qualifiers.

Me either.

It becomes a self fullfilling prophecy. Bag them, they lose. he is proven right

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wouldnt have picked any of those 3 even if they were still in Australia - maybe just North.

Please, even in a poor year for the Jets - Griffiths offers far more than a non-entity like Pondeljak.