What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Brisbane Broncos Signings

Big Pete

Referee
Signed: Tonie Carroll (Mid-Season), Matt Gillett (2010), Matt Britt (2011), Denan Kemp (2011), Tim Natusch (2010), Rohan Ahern (2011)
Resigned: Sam Thaiday (2011), Ben Te'o (2010), Alex Glenn (2012), Dunamuis Lui (2011), Kurt Baptiste (2011), Dale Copley (2011), Dane Gagai (2011), David Hala (2011), Kurtis Lingwoodock (2011), Nick Kenny (2012)
Losses: Michael De Vere (Retirement), Dave Taylor (South Sydney), Isaak Ah Mau (Cowboys), Aaron Gorrell (Released), Tom Hewitt (Released), Karmichael Hunt (AFL), Will Tupou (Cowboys), Aaron Sweeney (Released), Joel Clinton (Hull KR)
Off Contract: Darren Lockyer, Lagi Setu

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos deny talking to league bad-boy Arana Taumata

July 22, 2009 Stunned Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak has denied clandestine talks aimed at snaring rugby league bad boy Arana Taumata as Darren Lockyer's five-eighth replacement for 2011.
Reports linked Brisbane to a secret tug of war with the Wests Tigers for Taumata's signature with speculation Lockyer would hang up his boots next year.

The report quoted an unnamed Tigers official saying the club was "livid" Brisbane were looking at Taumata.

Lockyer is believed to be close to signing a two-year deal which would keep him at the club until the end of 2011.

Henjak rubbished reports of any approach for Taumata, a player they sacked in 2006 who has since been axed by three other NRL clubs for disciplinary breaches.

Taumata, currently playing for Easts Tigers in the Queensland Cup, flies to Melbourne every week to perform community service after being found guilty of assault in May which led to the Storm tearing up his NRL contract.

"If Lockyer signs it will be for two years," said a disappointed Henjak.

"Arana is playing for our affiliate club (Easts) and we haven't even spoken to him about a contract.

"Something like that would have to be approved by our board because he has been let go from our club before because of disciplinary reasons."

Henjak, who brought Taumata over from New Zealand as a 15-year-old, said he'd had recently had coffee with him and the family he was staying with.

"They're really nice people. I put Arana with them when I first brought him over from New Zealand.

"They're a lovely family. They really care about the kid, probably one of the few people who do and I think they're really good for him.

"They asked me to come over and have a chat with him and we talked about life.

"Are we in a tug of war? No we're not.

"Have we talked to him about a contract? No we haven't.

Henjak has no doubts Taumata, who carved Brisbane up for the Bulldogs last year, could play.

"He can play footy but the rest of his life has to be in order," he said.

"Whether I want him back is not the issue, it's whether the board would take him back and I haven't broached that with them."

Taumata is living with former Easts committeeman and ex-Tigers coach Chris Tanzer, who took him in when he was just 15.

"Arana is very, very remorseful for the disappointment he's caused all the clubs involved, his parents and coaches," said Tanzer, a former Queensland junior team selector who's been involved with the likes of Karmichael Hunt and Greg Inglis.

"He's more mature and has a good understanding of why it all happened.

"He's off the grog, he recognises that was the catalyst to putting him in bad situations.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25818020-5018866,00.html

Big Pete

Referee
According to 'Bronco' the official Brisbane Broncos magazine Aaron Gorrell and Tom Hewitt have been released.

In other news, current Toyota Cup stars Dane Gagai, David Hala and Kurtis Lingwoodock have signed on for two more years. They join Kurt Baptiste, Dale Copley and Dunamis Lui.

EDIT: The magazine also reported Nick Kenny is set to sign a long term contract.

In other news, Skipper Darren Lockyer is set to sign a two year deal. According to 'The Australian' Lockyer's base salary is conisderably smaller but the difference is set to be made in Third Party arrangements. No word on his represenative future.

Last edited:

Broncos fan!

Juniors
According to 'Bronco' the official Brisbane Broncos magazine Aaron Gorrell and Tom Hewitt have been released.

In other news, current Toyota Cup stars Dane Gagai, David Hala and Kurtis Lingwoodock have signed on for two more years. They join Kurt Baptiste, Dale Copley and Dunamis Lui.

Thats great news. Hewitt has been unlucky to get a shot but all the best to him with where ever he goes.

user_nat

Coach
Was reading an article in the paper about all Brisbane's players who are injured at the moment. In which it has PJ Marsh listed as $250,000 (same as K Hunt, more than Wallace). If that is true, I really hope they don't re-sign him. His been worth no where near that much for awhile now.

Also had Nick Kenny as 120k, worth re-signing for more than that.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
In the courier mail it has how much all our injured players are currently on:
Lockyer - 450k
Folau - 420k
Thaiday - 280k
Hunt - 250k
Marsh 250k
Wallace - 220k
Nick Kenny - 120k
Tonie Carroll - free socks

If Marsh is on that much then I would be releasing him right away.

Big Pete

Referee
I recall in a previous article Folau and Hunt were said to be on 300K.

Marsh has to be released though. I can't fathom any reason to keep him when there are better prospects in the Queensland Cup.

spartan

Juniors
Wille mason ? If he could get his act together he'd be a fair buy,has been playing much better in recent weeks and he does need a challenge.

Or take a look at the uk forwards like crabtree or peacock,there's plenty good enoug hto play nrl

user_nat

Coach
Do we really need another winger? He was great and all, but he hasn't be that good for the Warriors this year.

Smiley

Bench
The Fullback position is open. I can Kemp much like Slater little chips over the top and gubbers behind the goal line for kemp.

DeeJ

Bench
Do we really need another winger? He was great and all, but he hasn't be that good for the Warriors this year.

He is an awesome winger and can fill in at fullback quite well and kick goals now too. He hasn't been good for the Warriors because he hasn't played very much there and they don't know how to use his skill and speed.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
He'd have to take a pay cut... We have too many backs plus junior backs coming through. I guess a one year deal for next season would be good, have plenty of room under the cap.