What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Cowboys

Talanexor

Juniors
I think the argument in favour of Amos is that he can play as a backrower as well - which means we could muscle up on forwards and still be able to cover an injury to Watts or in the halves.

To be fair, Payne had a pretty good end to his season, I think he really lifted when he had the captaincy.

Agree that Ash Graham should never, ever play fullback ever again (even though I rate him very highly in the centres). For interest's sake I'd like to see how John Williams coped at fullback - he's been one of the standouts this season, he's quick, got good ball skills, makes very few errors and has a bit of pace on him. Unfortunately, his goalkicking is terrible.

Finally - on the topic of Watts I was hugely impressed with him at hooker. He's got that gamebreaking spark that Thurston and Bowen have. I also think, with a bit more practice, he would be an excellent halfback. He has the vision and the skills, but if you watch any of the games during the origin period when he was at 7, you get the impression he doesn't call the plays very clearly. I think it's a confidence thing more than anything.

He is a very exciting player to watch - he's my bolter for origin in 3 or so year's time, as both a hooker and a halfback.

EvolutionUber

Juniors
I said acouple of years ago that Bowen would be good in the halves with Thurston, but his just too good at full back.

1. Bowen
6. Burns
7. Thurston
9. Payne
14. Watts

That will win some games^

Shorty

Staff member
What's everyone's opinion on Jackson Nicolau?
I hear he resigned,will he be given a go under Henry?

Asedenburns

Juniors
He(Jackson) played alright at fullback VS Parra, maybe train him there to play fullback, no way is he a 5/8. other option center so he could be another kicking option like they do in union.
I picked Bowen at 5/8 cause he hates kick returns costing us meters and I fear he may lose some speed ala Ty Williams.
Still not impressed with payne just runs, IMO from dummy half whereas Watts can kick as well. Give him confidence and he will play well, must be difficult to play well when you have been moved around as often as he has; playing off the bench/ hooker/fullback/half back/scape goat.

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
I said acouple of years ago that Bowen would be good in the halves with Thurston, but his just too good at full back.

1. Bowen
6. Burns
7. Thurston
9. Payne
14. Watts

That will win some games^

That will definitely be the combination for next year. Cowboys will make top six under Neil Henry.

Shorty

Staff member
I think we also have to get a good run with injuries.
We were crap this year but the injury list we had didn't help it.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Cowboys signed a few good young kiwi u 20's players.

James Tamou has been Roosters best prop this year and has the frame to make in the NRL.

Steve Rapira - younger brother of Sam has being playing awesome past couple of weeks. Had injury issues past couple of years - only started playing toyota cup end of the year.
Watch him play against broncos this week. Not big - but hits hard on defence. Put blokes on he arrrse.

Im excited to watch the cowboys next year.

Keen also to see Donald Malone in first grade. Cant be any worse than some of the ordinary outside backs Cowboys have used in recent years.

Talanexor

Juniors
I don't care if Bowen doesn't like kick returns - I wouldn't trade him for any other fullback in the competition. I reckon he was the form fullback for most of 2007, even though he didn't get the accolades he deserved.

Most of our team is geared toward attack: Thurston, Graham, Bowen, even Payne/Watts are ALL far better in attack than they are in defence.

It makes for good, fast, entertaining football, and Neil Henry is a master at it. We'll probably concede more tries than we should, but as long as we score more than the opposition, that's just fine with me. Better than watching a Cronulla wrestle-fest.

Talanexor

Juniors
Agree, Watts offers WAY more options than either Payne or Amos. Ideally, Watts would play 80 mins in the mould of a Cameron Smith - and give us 4 forwards on the bench. I find that thought truly scary.

Doesn't look good for Payne though - we have Gatis, Amos and Watts who are all very capable hookers, but with more versatility.

Also, that forward pack looks a LOT more experienced than our 2008 pack. Reckon its a stop-gap thing until the likes of Weston, Harlen, Slyney etc bulk up enough to make an impact? Think someone here said it takes a few years to develop the necessary leg strength.

Shorty

Staff member
If all goes well,I think we can make the 8 for sure.
Top four will most definitely depend on how the boys respond to this season I think.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah we're not the best defensive unit but I think that was the angle Millward was trying to take and look how far that got us.

I mean,look at Saturday night - Brisbane would have had that game wrapped up with stronger attacking ability.
They say the game is won up front but if you score enough points to get comfortable the rest comes along easier.

Charlie124

First Grade
1. Matt Bowen
2. Ty Williams
3. Ash Graham
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Anthony Watts/Jonathon Thurston
7. Jonathon Thurston/Anthony Watts
8. Carl Webb
9. Aaron Payne
10. Shane Tronc
11. Steve Southern
12. Luke O'Donnell
13. Sam Harris

14. Clint Amos/Travis Burns
15. Antonio Kaufusi
16. Matt Scott
17. Dayne Westen

18. Manase Manakufoa
19. Donald Malone (to be shuffled into the lineup for any backline injury/suspension)
20. Steve Rapira (first to be selected to cover injury in the pack)
21. Mitchell Achurch
22. Ben Farrar

Talanexor

Juniors
That's a pretty interesting lineup. I agree Watts is the only one in the team other than Thurston who's a natural playmaker.

If Burns is on the bench, would you move him to hooker or to 5/8th and Watts to hooker? Also, why have you picked Dayne Weston on th bench ahead of Manakafoa - do you rate him higher?

Spud

Juniors
Cowboys have picked up Donald Malone from Ipswich. How does everybody rate him? He carves up in Q Cup.

Latest posts